Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 09:48 PM

645 posts, read 750,767 times

Advertisements

i have kind of a funny story and I was wondering if any other outdoor runners have had these experiences?..Being a runner for 16 years now ive come in contact with crazy animals and not to many crazy people but more so crazy drivers...last week I was on my usual 8 mile run with the flu might I add but us runners run no matter what.....well I stopped at an intersection waiting for the walk signal then when the light turned to walk I proceeded. As I was half way through a lady proceeded to run the red light on her side and nearly hit me her car skinned my arm I got so pissed off and called her a b*itch....she had her window rolled down so I was sure she heard....as I continued my run probably getting close to home I notice someone driving on the wrong side of the street following me I didn't even realize who it was at first so I stopped cause obviously who drives on the wrong side of the street I thought it was someone that needed help then I notice that it was that same lady that almost hit me the crazy freak followed me all the way from the walmart intersection to tell me off....she started going off on me calling me every name in the book. She kept telling me call me a b*tch again and im like but I already did..lol I told her you almost ran me over she's like I don't care I should have. Mind you im standing there while she's in her car then I look and she has a baby in a car seat in the back I didn't even notice the kid till she approached me in her car this crazy lady was literally trying to start a street fight with her kid in the car she was getting so pissed off because I was smiling and calm I wasn't scared at all she just looked crazy...her words did nothing to me but I thought it was funny how much me calling her a b*itch for nearly killing me got her so enraged,,I waited thinking she was going to get off the car and getting ready to defend myself but all she did was scream like a lunatic then she throws her styrofom cup of watered down soda at my leg....mind you im already sweating and dirty from my run the drink actually cooled me off a bit..lol after she does that im still there waiting to see if she gets off the car nope she keeps going yelling out profanities then she disappears....what would you all have done in this situation? should I have lunged at her window and yanked her ass out..lol once I saw the kid I didn't want an altercation I couldn't believe she was acting like that with her kid in the car I mean how stupid can you be I do carry weapons when I run for safety if I was a crazy maniac she could have seriously got hurt and put her kid in danger...I know I probably shouldn't of called her a b*tch but I mean come on now she almost killed me....im not really sorry for that...but why do all that? act all bad ass hiding behind your car I mean really? lol then to throw juice at me and drive away that was a punk ass move if you ask me....I was also laughing because she was ugly and fat acting like she was all that and a bag of chips..lol.... so do you think I did the right thing or should I have got crazy to? lol and should I have made a police report my dad said what she did is considered assault but I mean the cup didn't even hurt..lol

Last edited by reen79; 05-23-2015 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: change to bold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 10:30 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Ive been clipped twice by a car, once by a motorcycle, and collided three times with bicyclists. Gotten two jay walking tickets, stopped and solicited for sex (from men and women) on the street or by car.

My most recent indecent (last week) an old creepy guy pulled up and asked if i like to suck his penis (wtf) I told him to get lost, but he continued to follow me for a couple miles (little did he know, I was carrying my HK45 compact tactical; I'm glad he didn't have to find out. And this isnt the first time guys/trannies have came up to me asking for the exact thing. smh, Lol

I run most of my miles at odd hours (2:30am-4:30am) 7-12miles daily- 7days/365- 2550 + miles a year mostly on city streets, so I know all about crazy road/people altercations.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:53 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
Fortunately where I live, we have a trail dedicated just for running/jogging and the occasional biker. It's separated by about 4 feet from the 45 mph street. If you take the trail all the way, it's about 4.5 miles to the end.

I run and I bike as well. I really hate riding on the roads as the drivers here in El Paso just plain stink, rarely will I ride on the sidewalk. I try to run early as to avoid the majority of traffic. Just too many distracted drivers out here with their cell phones, putting on make up, eating, etc.

I typically do not carry while I run but I do sometimes bring my pit bull with me. Haven't had any issues yet.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:18 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
My most recent incident was when I jogged face-first into the side mirror of truck that was parked in the shoulder . Should have seen it coming, but my husband was in front of me and I was too busy enjoying the view.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:21 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
It's best to find a park, and drive to it if you must. Running on the streets, you a)usually are running on pavement, which is bad for the joints & feet; b)breathing in exhaust, which is bad for the lungs; c)risk getting hit by a car, which is bad for everything.

It's also great if you can find a boulevard w/ large grassy median. When I lived in STL there was a long boulevard near my house. I could run about 7 miles, almost all grass to Forest Park, which is a big park west of down town. If I ran the park perimeter, I could get in a 20 mile run, almost all on grass

Old 05-24-2015, 06:30 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Never had an altercation with anyone. It's not a high stress/high crime area. Most people driving around town live in town so there's no road rage commuters.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:55 PM

378 posts, read 441,607 times
Default Be careful out there

avoid ANY conflict if all possible. Nothing worths more than your safety and life:

Uber driver deliberately ran down cyclist near wharf, police say - SFGate

Old 05-24-2015, 09:03 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reen79 View Post
i have kind of a funny story and I was wondering if any other outdoor runners have had these experiences?..Being a runner for 16 years now ive come in contact with crazy animals and not to many crazy people but more so crazy drivers...last week I was on my usual 8 mile run with the flu might I add but us runners run no matter what.....well I stopped at an intersection waiting for the walk signal then when the light turned to walk I proceeded. As I was half way through a lady proceeded to run the red light on her side and nearly hit me her car skinned my arm I got so pissed off and called her a b*itch....she had her window rolled down so I was sure she heard....as I continued my run probably getting close to home I notice someone driving on the wrong side of the street following me I didn't even realize who it was at first so I stopped cause obviously who drives on the wrong side of the street I thought it was someone that needed help then I notice that it was that same lady that almost hit me the crazy freak followed me all the way from the walmart intersection to tell me off....she started going off on me calling me every name in the book. She kept telling me call me a b*tch again and im like but I already did..lol I told her you almost ran me over she's like I don't care I should have. Mind you im standing there while she's in her car then I look and she has a baby in a car seat in the back I didn't even notice the kid till she approached me in her car this crazy lady was literally trying to start a street fight with her kid in the car she was getting so pissed off because I was smiling and calm I wasn't scared at all she just looked crazy...her words did nothing to me but I thought it was funny how much me calling her a b*itch for nearly killing me got her so enraged,,I waited thinking she was going to get off the car and getting ready to defend myself but all she did was scream like a lunatic then she throws her styrofom cup of watered down soda at my leg....mind you im already sweating and dirty from my run the drink actually cooled me off a bit..lol after she does that im still there waiting to see if she gets off the car nope she keeps going yelling out profanities then she disappears....what would you all have done in this situation? should I have lunged at her window and yanked her ass out..lol once I saw the kid I didn't want an altercation I couldn't believe she was acting like that with her kid in the car I mean how stupid can you be I do carry weapons when I run for safety if I was a crazy maniac she could have seriously got hurt and put her kid in danger...I know I probably shouldn't of called her a b*tch but I mean come on now she almost killed me....im not really sorry for that...but why do all that? act all bad ass hiding behind your car I mean really? lol then to throw juice at me and drive away that was a punk ass move if you ask me....I was also laughing because she was ugly and fat acting like she was all that and a bag of chips..lol.... so do you think I did the right thing or should I have got crazy to? lol and should I have made a police report my dad said what she did is considered assault but I mean the cup didn't even hurt..lol
Your feet aren't all that run. Lord have mercy.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:12 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
I couldn't bear to read the post due to the obvious no paragraph thing.

I've had very minor and few altercations while running. If you want altercation stories, talk to a road cyclist. We have an abundance. From animals, to motorists, to other cyclist, to pedestrians, and many others. There are some crazy happenings out there. Consider getting a Road ID.

Best of luck

Old 05-26-2015, 08:20 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reen79 View Post
Outdoor Running And Altercations With Crazy Drivers
Well, lets face it, we all know that San Gabriel (where you live) is home to folks who are not very good drivers (if you know what I mean ).

I run places where there are not cars. I'll run around the golf course, local trails or drive somewhere where I can run without worry of drivers. You should do the same. Lots of places in San Gabriel Valley where you can go and not deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness