Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 09:02 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,768 times

Advertisements

I exercise every day. I jog (not really run since I am not that fast) and I do that 5 times a week, about 3 miles (give or take). Now that the neighborhood pool is open, I also swim most days--about 20-40 minutes depending on a lot of factors usually involving thunderstorms and if the swim team is practicing too. Some days I do both jogging and swimming (hey, I ride a bike to the pool too, so it's like a mini triathlon). Some days I only swim or only jog. But every day it's something.

The problem is, I feel completely physically exhausted most of the time since I started doing both. This morning I woke up and my muscles just felt "tired" all over. After working out, I am often shaky too (although eating pure sugar--like a small piece of candy-- right afterwards helps).

When I read up on this (Google it), the key thing to do is eat before working out. But I can't eat at all before working out (at least an two hours before running and 4-5 hours before swimming). If I do eat, I get horrible reflux. The reflux is due to an abnormality of my LES... the flap between the stomach and esophagus. Taking antacids helps, but won't keep the reflux away if I eat. At best, antacids buy me some time before the reflux becomes too intolerable to continue working out. Nothing I can do about that except after the fact by eating right away after working out. But it's an important part of the problem I think.

Any suggestions? The shaking thing, I can handle with eating a handful of M&Ms or such after a workout (followed by "real" food with more complex carbs). But what about the tired muscles? Someone I know suggested maybe I need more potassium. I am also wondering if it might be better to drink something like Gateraide after working out (for the sugar and electrolytes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 10:30 AM

465 posts, read 418,400 times
I am cardio nut so I have those symptoms too. Like u said, eat beforehand and try gatorade

Old 06-01-2015, 10:35 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
You need a rest day.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:26 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
I eat a banana before/after a hard run and drink a lot of water.

Ditch the candy, always keep hydrated, and get plenty of rest.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:00 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,768 times
Thanks. Hydration isn't an issue at all as far as I can tell. The reason I eat a piece of candy right after working out is that the shakiness (I think) is very low blood sugar. My normal blood sugar is on the very low end of normal, so I am guessing after not eating and then working out, it dips down. But I've never tested it (I don't have a way to test it).

If I eat a complex carb (AK something healthy) after working out it doesn't work for a very long time. I have to eat something almost pure sugar to snap out of the shaking. Usually it's something like 5-6 jelly beans. I might try the Gatoraide after working out instead. The bonus being there is sugar in it, but I hate the taste so I will only drink what I have to drink. I absolutely can't eat anything before hand or else I get the reflux (it's so bad that I will vomit if I don't stop and I end up with heartburn for hours afterwards).

The bananas are a good idea too (if it is potassium). I just never have them around because they go bad so fast.

Storms are forcing me to take a break today. I don't usually schedule breaks in exercise because stuff comes up that forces breaks. I was able to run this morning, but the pool is closed and probably will be the rest of the night.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:39 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You need a rest day.
The advice people have offered about nutrition is good. The problem with eating candy right after a workout is that refined sugar causes such a quick spike in blood sugar that the body may over-react in trying to balance the sugar level, so you crash a little while after eating the candy. I like Hawaiincoconut's suggestion that you try a banana. You might also give protein shakes a try.

While the right nutrition is important, I also think Luckyd is on to something. As Luckyd suggests, it's a good idea to take a day off (or even two days) from exercise each week. Give your body a break. The body needs time to recover so it can rebuild in response to the demands of exercise.

Working out every day may be causing you to be constantly fatigued. It's also possible that you've increased your exercise load to quickly. It sounds as if you've more or less doubled your amount of exercise since the pool opened, by adding swimming, and your bike rides to the pool, to the running you were already doing. That's kind of a sudden and dramatic increase in the demands on your body. You might cut back some on running, and spend the summer gradually working back up to your current running load, while continuing with the swimming and biking.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:15 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Do you have allergies? I have found that since allergy season started, I am feeling a lot more muscle fatigue even though I haven't changed my diet or exercise routine. I can barely make it through my kickboxing class now, which I've been going to for 6 months! I strongly suspect that with allergies, if my lungs aren't getting enough oxygen to function properly, the rest of my muscles probably aren't either and therefore are getting more fatigued easier.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:48 PM

14 posts, read 85,316 times
Yeah exercise is the best source to make your self healthy and fit , the regular workout increase the stamina and resistant power...

Old 06-10-2015, 12:59 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
It does sound to me like it could be an electrolyte issue. Instead of M&M's why don't you try 'gels' which usually contain electrolytes. There are various brands such as Cliff shots, GU, etc. I like a product called 'sports beans.' It is basically candy, but formulated for exercise. Most marathon runners use them; in fact many marathons have a table where they are handed out to runners at a couple points along the way.

Electrolytes for Runners: A Complete Guide | Runner Academy

For potassium I eat an avocado after exercise. For me they are easier to deal with than banana. For sodium, anything salty will do. I read somewhere that a can of chicken soup is good. Also I have read that you should take in some protein within 15-30 minutes of workout, because that is when the body is 'absorbent,' and wants to start the process of rebuilding muscle.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
when you are doing a lot of cardio (or dieting while lifting) finding the right balance of the proper foods, proper amounts and proper timing can be difficult but that is the key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness