Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 03:25 PM

171 posts, read 180,980 times

Advertisements

Dr. Schulze's Super Food. I haven't been sick for over 10 yrs. since taking this(I'm 64). I also take 2 TBS. of flaxseed meal, 2 TBS. of apple cider vinegar(with the "mother"), a fruit/veg mix, and add a bit of ginger & cinnamon along with 2 TBS. of honey. Works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 03:56 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Never really saw great results from protein, creatine, and other commonly popular supplements.
There are a small number of people who don't respond to creatine, but you also have to use it correctly and really be pushing hard in your workouts to get the benefit.

Not sure how you didn't get results from protein. It's the building block of muscle.

There have been some things that have really had noticeable impacts on my workouts though. (Bodybuilding exercises)

Quote:
Postworkout glutamine and BCAA supplement. Incredibly reduced recovery times. Normally after a hardworkout I felt like I would need a good 4-5 days of recovery before working that body part again. I would be sore for almost all of that time too. With the glutamine BCAA combo, I was able to get back to working out within 48hours at full capacity and soreness would go away in about a day.
Now this is the confusing part. BCAA supplementation is pretty much worthless in the face of adequate protein intake (perhaps low protein intake is why you noticed a difference) but glutamine really only has use for the immune system.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:03 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
I used to use creatine when I first started working out (teens and early twenties) but I haven't used it now in years. Then I saw this study that possibly links creatine use to testicular cancer. Might be especially concerning to teens and young adults using the supplement (since peak age for testicular cancer is 18-30), but who knows if the study is even legit.

Creatine Linked to Testicular Cancer
That study sucked, by the way.

Quote:
As such, this study should not be used as evidence to prove anything. Instead, it acts as a stepping stone to more in depth research.
The main issue with this study is how broad the category of ‘Muscle Building Supplements’ (MBS) is. The authors state that the participant interview included an assessment of 30 different types of MBS powders or pills but disclosed:
Specifically, the article stated that “The interview included an assessment of 30 different types of MBS powders or pills. The major ingredients, including creatine, protein, and androstenedione or its booster, were abstracted according to the product ingredients.”
Do muscle building supplements cause testicular cancer? A deeper look at the latest study on MBS usage and testicular cancer. - Examine.com Blog | Examine.com

Old 06-06-2015, 04:18 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
That was one of the worst studies I've ever seen and fails what I call the BS test. If something just doesn't sound right, it usually isn't.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:43 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
I started using creatine monohydrate for the first time a couple months ago and have seen good results. All my lifts are up considerably and I'm hitting lifetime PRs at 52 years old. In April, I was doing dumbbell curls with 20kgs for 6 or 7 reps with each arm. Today I did 22.5kg curls (50lbs) for 9.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:08 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,496,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
There are a small number of people who don't respond to creatine, but you also have to use it correctly and really be pushing hard in your workouts to get the benefit.

Not sure how you didn't get results from protein. It's the building block of muscle.

There have been some things that have really had noticeable impacts on my workouts though. (Bodybuilding exercises)

Now this is the confusing part. BCAA supplementation is pretty much worthless in the face of adequate protein intake (perhaps low protein intake is why you noticed a difference) but glutamine really only has use for the immune system.
I guess I maybe didn't respond to protein supplementation because I was already getting high amounts of protein in my diet.

As for the BCAA + glutamine. I used to take it within the 30 minute window after working out and I really noticed it reduced my recovery time and soreness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
That was one of the worst studies I've ever seen and fails what I call the BS test. If something just doesn't sound right, it usually isn't.
It did seem like BS to me, but who knows. I stopped using creatine a long time ago anyway.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:41 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
I can't see myself ever stopping creatine use. Too many positive benefits. Even if they proved it had a 20% increased risk of testicular cancer I would not stop using it. The benefits outweigh what would be a small increased risk, to be honest. And the results don't indicate that at all. It's just more junk science.

The world is full of junk science, sadly.

The Dark Enlightenment -- Those are really good curls! Good for you! I am only doing about that myself and I'm 32. I don't do bicep curls regularly anymore, I do a lot of pulley weights and then finish with lighter curls for reps, but I did some at 50 last time I worked out. It was tough!!

Old 06-07-2015, 06:24 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,377 times
Hyaluronic acid. It seems to really help with joints. I went to Ireland for a week and forgot to bring it. At the end of the week, I could really tell the difference. My knees hurt!

Old 06-07-2015, 07:43 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I have a hereditary form of peripheral neuropathy.

Vitamin-C and Alpha Lipoic Acid both work great at greatly decreasing my nerve pain.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:35 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
I only take a vitamin B12 supplement. I notice a definite slump in my energy level if I run out. I started taking B12 after noticing that a woman that worked with me had more energy at 72 than I had at 40, and she said she took B12 shots. I think some of us, as others have mentioned, are deficient in this nutrient. And then there's proper rest (mental and physical), and eating nutritious foods, and staying hydrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness