U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 12:29 AM

65 posts, read 37,113 times

Advertisements

I made a related thread here the last time, but I want to try again. The last time, it seems like people were confused as to what I really wanted and they ended up recommending me a $1,600 machine.

I'm not looking for machines that are that insanely expensive.
I am NOT interested in having ellipticals with TV screens and radio ports. Those are luxuries that are completely unnecessary for me.

I do, of course, want the basic heart monitor, automatic intensity adjustment and length adjustment. I would like the machine to be very stable for a 170 lb person.
Optional (but not necessary): The ability to be folded up for tidy storage.

$200 to $400 would be a budget machine.
I can go up to $700 to $900 dollars, but no more.
Do any of you have good recommendations?

Last edited by MinasIthil; 06-06-2015 at 12:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 05:05 AM

26 posts, read 25,635 times
i think your best bet is to keep an eye on craigslist . the machine i recommended the last time was higher than you wanted to spend but the same machine is now on the local craigslist for 150.00 because they are moving. lots of great deals on that site. a couple months ago i picked up an Olympic weight bench for 25.00. 3 weeks ago i needed more weight plates bought 416 pounds of plates for 80.00

Old 06-06-2015, 07:23 AM

2,444 posts, read 1,731,180 times
I bought a Schwinn on Amazon for $550 and it's been great.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:19 AM

9,594 posts, read 9,424,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg123456789 View Post
i think your best bet is to keep an eye on craigslist . the machine i recommended the last time was higher than you wanted to spend but the same machine is now on the local craigslist for 150.00 because they are moving. lots of great deals on that site. a couple months ago i picked up an Olympic weight bench for 25.00. 3 weeks ago i needed more weight plates bought 416 pounds of plates for 80.00
This! Quality exercise equipment is expensive. Decent exercise is expensive when new. You cannot get anything but junk on a budget of under $500 if you insist on new.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:45 AM

983 posts, read 696,285 times
Yes. Look on Craigslist. If you get a new low end model, you are going to be disappointed with it, and you'll quit using it.

I know you are looking for an elliptical, but...we got a new exercise bike. A Nordic Trak, which is a Sears brand, and kind of mid level (price wise). No fancy features. Just the basics. But it kept needing adjustments, parts wore out. It was more trouble than it was worth. So we sold it, and got a Precor. The Precor has been very reliable; it has an excellent record. It was expensive, but it's working.

Moral of the story: look on CL for a very good brand. Don't settle for a cheap brand like Nordic Trak. It may not hold up well, and then you will be left with a very expensive piece of junk.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:22 AM

4,981 posts, read 5,449,503 times
In addition to C.L., you might have a store for used exercise equipment. In my area, there's Second Wind and Play It Again Sports.

I try not to get too hung up on brands when I'm shopping used. Bad design, plus wear and tear is more important to me. I've found brands of exercise bikes that I've never heard of that were just fine for home use.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:43 AM

983 posts, read 696,285 times
The only thing about used is that the equipment doesn't come with any kind of warranty. Unless the store (Play it Again, maybe) offers its own warranty, you could pay $300 or so for that equipment and find yourself having to make repairs yourself if the thing breaks. The parts can be darned pricey also, if you are able to make repairs yourself - and the parts for our Nordic Trak were not easily available.

Our Precor has a really good warranty for labor, something like a 10 year warranty for parts. That's better than what I've seen for most equipment.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:28 PM

65 posts, read 37,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg123456789 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I bought a Schwinn on Amazon for $550 and it's been great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
This! Quality exercise equipment is expensive. Decent exercise is expensive when new. You cannot get anything but junk on a budget of under $500 if you insist on new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
Yes. Look on Craigslist. If you get a new low end model, you are going to be disappointed with it, and you'll quit using it.

I know you are looking for an elliptical, but...we got a new exercise bike. A Nordic Trak, which is a Sears brand, and kind of mid level (price wise). No fancy features. Just the basics. But it kept needing adjustments, parts wore out. It was more trouble than it was worth. So we sold it, and got a Precor. The Precor has been very reliable; it has an excellent record. It was expensive, but it's working.

Moral of the story: look on CL for a very good brand. Don't settle for a cheap brand like Nordic Trak. It may not hold up well, and then you will be left with a very expensive piece of junk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
In addition to C.L., you might have a store for used exercise equipment. In my area, there's Second Wind and Play It Again Sports.

I try not to get too hung up on brands when I'm shopping used. Bad design, plus wear and tear is more important to me. I've found brands of exercise bikes that I've never heard of that were just fine for home use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
The only thing about used is that the equipment doesn't come with any kind of warranty. Unless the store (Play it Again, maybe) offers its own warranty, you could pay $300 or so for that equipment and find yourself having to make repairs yourself if the thing breaks. The parts can be darned pricey also, if you are able to make repairs yourself - and the parts for our Nordic Trak were not easily available.

Our Precor has a really good warranty for labor, something like a 10 year warranty for parts. That's better than what I've seen for most equipment.
I've read this all. Thanks for the awesome advices and warnings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness