U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:11 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,641,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I had an interesting conversation with a friend over the weekend regarding the differences of eating habits from those who workout regularly and those who do not. Some people shop at Whole Foods and only eat organic foods because they feel this is better for their bodies and health while others eat foods for pure enjoyment (i.e., seeking a flavorgasm).
I wouldn't necessarily separate the two: It's not as though Whole Foods food is disgusting or un-enjoyable (disclaimer: their prepared foods seem to be quite gross. I prefer Wegmans prepared foods).

Quote:
Basically the camps are separated into two groups:

Those who Eat To Live are people who view food as fuel for their bodies. Eating only food which is of higher "octane" to run their bodies.

Those who Live To Eat are people who get great joy out of different foods and flavors.
I'm a fitness freak of sorts and I am squarely in the second camp. I live to eat. I love food! That said, I choose good food for the most part but I'm not above pizza, twinkies, etc.

Quote:
Since I am someone who is very active and concerned with my health and fitness, I tend to be more of a "eat to live" person and view food really as a fuel source, but there are times that I just LOOOOVE the taste of doublestuff oreos dipped in whole milk.

What type of person are you?
I'm the type of person who will eat those double stuff oreos but in limited quantities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 07:36 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,577,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I had an interesting conversation with a friend over the weekend regarding the differences of eating habits from those who workout regularly and those who do not. Some people shop at Whole Foods and only eat organic foods because they feel this is better for their bodies and health while others eat foods for pure enjoyment (i.e., seeking a flavorgasm).

Basically the camps are separated into two groups:

Those who Eat To Live are people who view food as fuel for their bodies. Eating only food which is of higher "octane" to run their bodies.

Those who Live To Eat are people who get great joy out of different foods and flavors.

What type of person are you?
I'm an eat to live type of guy. Eating is generally an inconvenience to me. Sure I get joy out of eating great tastes and textures, but I get much more joy out of having a sharp mind and a banging body I have enough challenges to face in my life that I might as well do what I can to influence those things I can control... eating healthy and exercising just makes sense.

My father has had a very long and fruitful career in the food/produce industry so everyone in my family knows how to cook and I was eating exotic fruits and vegetables before kiwi and starfruit became mainstream in most of the US. I learned from an early age, listen to your body about what to put into it but use common sense and don't fill up on foods which are complicated refined and man-made. Lastly, consume anything in moderation only as too much of anything is a bad thing.

If you want to know what's good for you just be observant. Watch how your body feels after eating something new, or watch what others look like after consuming something else. The other day I was at the grocery store and just walking by the bakery I made note of something rather obvious... ever noticed how people that work in bakeries tend to be overweight? I have. The exceptions are so rare I would consider it a challenge to find them. The correlation between how bad refined flour is for you and how people who work in the bakery industry look I think is rather lucid. About as lucid as the realization that you'd be challenged to find someone working in McDonald's or Wendy's or BK with great looking skin. I'm not saying there aren't other factors for these things... obviously there are. But if you keep your eyes open and make note of what you see, the patterns aren't elusive, they're right in front of you.

One last observation which actually was a bit of an academic lesson-learned for me despite that my grand parents and great grand parents seemed to know it and shared with me when I was younger. Did you know that the cultures which have had the most extensive oral histories have tended to be the ones which resided next to water and which consumed the most fish in their diets? It's a correlation backed-up by nutritional research today... fish is good for your brain and memory. There's a relationship with brain function and eating fish that I think warrants your attention. If you can include fish in your diet - your memory will benefit from it (granted, these days now we have to worry about mercury content of some fish).

Last edited by belovenow; 05-06-2008 at 07:45 AM..

Old 05-06-2008, 08:01 AM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
No reason you can't be both, whether you work out or not. Why not enjoy the healthy foods that fuel your body?

Old 05-06-2008, 09:02 AM

3,434 posts, read 8,795,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No reason you can't be both, whether you work out or not. Why not enjoy the healthy foods that fuel your body?
thats what I was gonna say, but got beat to it-lol

Old 05-06-2008, 02:35 PM

10,543 posts, read 11,680,657 times
I would say I'm both. I really like most food so it's not a sacrifice for me to eat healthy food. I don't have too much of a sweet tooth and would prefer more dinner versus dessert.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:24 PM

471 posts, read 1,347,453 times
Oh, run away from the Twinkies. And before yesterday I would have said Oreos too, but I ate a few yesterday.

I was craving something sweet and after I picked my son up from school we swung by the grocery store just for something sweet. Which is highly unusual for me. (Gotta live a little...) So I grabbed some ice cream (Breyers all natural rocky road) and told my son he could choose anything he wanted.

He looked up at me (he's in elementary school) and then looked for the cookie isle. Found the Oreos. He launched into this story about the last time we were around one of my brothers and how he took him aside and said "Your mom doesn't let you have Oreos, does she?" (those are my brother's favorite cookies) And my son said no (which is not true! I just never happen to have them in the house...) So my brother loads him up on Oreos I guess and now my son thinks they are something special.

Just thought that was funny. I ate about 5 yesterday while my son and I were chatting...and I didn't feel so good afterward. My son ate a few too many too. Felt better after we took the dog for a walk at the park. Anyway, Mbuszu is right about listening to your body. And the moderation thing.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:18 AM

8,185 posts, read 21,741,076 times
If you are a living human being you need to do both.

As for me, I obviously eat to live because I enjoy being alive. I also enjoy food tremendously and I am definitely a food snob. If it is not gourmet, then get it out of my way. I am a food eater with no apologies. I do not subscribe to any diet theory and fats do not cause fat. Yes, I eat a french fries and other deep fried food. The issue isn't that it is deep fried, just the crappy chemically engineered oil that it is fried in. Natural oil is good for you.

However, I am also a substance eater. I will eat something just to sustain my self and to not feel hungry anymore.

Food is good.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:44 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,577,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
If you are a living human being you need to do both.

As for me, I obviously eat to live because I enjoy being alive. I also enjoy food tremendously and I am definitely a food snob. If it is not gourmet, then get it out of my way. I am a food eater with no apologies. I do not subscribe to any diet theory and fats do not cause fat. Yes, I eat a french fries and other deep fried food. The issue isn't that it is deep fried, just the crappy chemically engineered oil that it is fried in. Natural oil is good for you.

However, I am also a substance eater. I will eat something just to sustain my self and to not feel hungry anymore.

Food is good.
OK, just a couple questions for you, how do you look and would you describe yourself as a fitness buff? I'm just curious.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:03 AM

622 posts, read 2,849,739 times
Eat to live person, Definitely.

I hate eating, and at 240 pounds it's very hard to keep eating to maintain my weight and muscle. I've always said, and people who know me hate me for it, that if I could just swallow a pill every morning instead of eating, I would.

If I didn't "have to" eat in the morning, I wouldn't be hungry or eat anything until noon or so. I do force myself however, which is getting old. If I just started eating when I was hungry and stopped lifting weeights, my body would probably be comfortable at 190-200 pounds.

When I'm injured or not lifting, I feel stupid just sitting down for a meal. for what? Eating is just for 'recovery' after workouts, right? lol

Old 05-08-2008, 11:37 AM

2,639 posts, read 5,929,693 times
I eat healthily for six days a week but on the seventh day (Sunday) I let it all go to hell for 24 hours and eat whatever I like (in moderation ). Although I do see food as fuel for the body and try to stick to my calorie limit as much as possible it never hurts to find healthy, energy filled food that tastes good as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness