U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:55 PM

12,977 posts, read 28,798,671 times

Advertisements

I had an interesting conversation with a friend over the weekend regarding the differences of eating habits from those who workout regularly and those who do not. Some people shop at Whole Foods and only eat organic foods because they feel this is better for their bodies and health while others eat foods for pure enjoyment (i.e., seeking a flavorgasm).

Basically the camps are separated into two groups:

Those who Eat To Live are people who view food as fuel for their bodies. Eating only food which is of higher "octane" to run their bodies.

Those who Live To Eat are people who get great joy out of different foods and flavors.

Since I am someone who is very active and concerned with my health and fitness, I tend to be more of a "eat to live" person and view food really as a fuel source, but there are times that I just LOOOOVE the taste of doublestuff oreos dipped in whole milk.

What type of person are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 09:53 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,484,882 times
It may be a stupid answer, but a little of column A and a little of column B. I eat some things for the nutritional value and I eat some things just for taste. I just try to balance the two and not get carried away with column B

Old 01-22-2008, 05:45 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,170,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
It may be a stupid answer, but a little of column A and a little of column B. I eat some things for the nutritional value and I eat some things just for taste. I just try to balance the two and not get carried away with column B
I do not think that is a stupid answer at all! I am the same way. I try to eat a nutritional-healthy-balanced diet. I run so I try to eat to fuel my running. However, there are some foods that I love to eat just for taste. Like you - I try to balance the two and not get carried away with the yummy stuff. As much as I want to be healthy and run well- you gotta live a little too

Nicole

Old 01-22-2008, 06:27 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,552,293 times
I try to balance the two as well and more often than I care to admit, do that extra workout to counter those flavorgasms.
I admire those with the discipline to "eat to live" as a rule, but I am more of an everything in moderation type. I watch my protein and saturated fat intake and eat "fresh" as often as I can, but have to say I fit more into the "live to eat" category, especially during football season.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:56 AM

283 posts, read 1,160,397 times
I am an eat-to-live person, and I agree that this type of thinking makes a huge difference between folks who have been more successful in controlling their weight and those who are less so. The fuel analogy is one that I use constantly when trying to explain the concept to "live-to-eat" folks. It helps explain why sugar in the tank isn't such a great idea.

On a side note, my tank has a terrible weakness for Hot wings, though. I can eat great all week, but just the THOUGHT of hot wings makes me almost require physical restraint to NOT go eat a dozen or two. Right now, just typing that made me think about getting some wings at lunch!

Old 01-24-2008, 02:20 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,208,403 times
I think I am a little of both too. Now, when I think of people that "live to eat" I picture the never-ending buffet eater...A trainer told me once that instead of prohibiting myself from eating things I like to decrease portions, say I like the oreos, I only eat 2-3 but not the whole bag. Also for full meals, a portion size if you "eat to live" is the size of your TWO fists together, anymore and you are "living to eat."

Old 01-24-2008, 04:14 PM

15,532 posts, read 35,641,148 times
I think we've been asked this before in another thread. I am definitely in the Eat to Live category. My life isn't centered around food and eating - except in relation to working out. As an athlete, my body has to be a lean, mean, dancin' machine!

Old 01-25-2008, 02:07 PM

471 posts, read 1,347,271 times
I'd have to say I lean toward the "eat to live" side. But I do like tasty food too. I think they can be the same thing.

My husband laughs at me for eating a small bowl of brussel sprouts with a gala apple on the side for lunch. But I'm determined to get my fruits and veggies in.

I think the more you discipline yourself to eat healthy foods, you actually crave that over the greasy oily more fattening stuff (have to admit just thinking about some foods in that category just turns my tummy). Your body craves the good stuff once you eat it regularly. Thinking of apples makes me happy.

I also get full quickly, so when I know there's only a certain amount of food going in every day, I'd rather it be more the "eat to live" stuff.

And I definitely prefer whole foods to the processed stuff.

But I do like my Breyer's all natural chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream occasionally (use a sm cup to limit portion) and a piece of dark chocolate or a peppermint patty... Good stuff just has to outweigh the treats.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:04 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,747,741 times
When I think of somebody who lives to eat, I think of somebody whose primary purpose in life is to enjoy good food.

The primary reason I eat is to stay alive. However, I like to enjoy myself staying alive. Although I like many physical activities (bicycling, hiking, playing DDR), I'm definitely no fitness buff, and bodybuilding or "working out" considerations rarely enter my choice of food, but I do not like to eat too many calories (that's the main thing I think of). I do love trying new cuisines.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:16 AM

172 posts, read 706,410 times
I am more of an "eat to live" person. I used to have terrible eating habits that caused some health problems. With that being said, I can't help but splurge every once in a while. I love flavorful, hearty meals and need to have that occasional fix. Cooking is one of my favorite pastimes, so eating a balanced diet is easy for me because I can make a variety of dishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness