Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 11:30 AM

240 posts, read 267,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
I'm also thinking about taking swimming lessons and getting into swimming. I can swim but not really well enough to be efficient. At this point I would be embarrassed to swim in the lap pool. I have multiple strains and overuse injuries going on from impact related activities over the years, and swimming is looking better and better. I also do a lot of canoe camping, so it would be a useful activity for me. I go to the YMCA and the regular swimmers are very ripped.
I wouldn’t worry about that. In my experience with swimming laps, most folks are concentrating on swimming in their own laps. Where I swim, people aren’t looking around and comparing themselves. I am a very slow,awkward swimmer because of minor hip and shoulder issues. Swimming is about the only exercise I can do, along with some walking. I sometimes get frustrated when people around me are swimming very fast, but I just try to keep on going. Swimming laps has made a major difference in how I feel: I enjoy the activity, I’ve lost some weight, and my endurance has improved.

I think if you start slowly and stay consistent, it will get easier. When I first started, I could barely swim a few laps before getting tired. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 10:44 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSMUSIC View Post
I wouldn’t worry about that. In my experience with swimming laps, most folks are concentrating on swimming in their own laps. Where I swim, people aren’t looking around and comparing themselves. I am a very slow,awkward swimmer because of minor hip and shoulder issues. Swimming is about the only exercise I can do, along with some walking. I sometimes get frustrated when people around me are swimming very fast, but I just try to keep on going. Swimming laps has made a major difference in how I feel: I enjoy the activity, I’ve lost some weight, and my endurance has improved.

I think if you start slowly and stay consistent, it will get easier. When I first started, I could barely swim a few laps before getting tired. Best of luck to you.
You are right no one is paying attention to anyone else in the pool. But learning to swim properly is never a bad idea. Being efficient in strokes, head placement and kicks will will serve anyone well and will enhance the experience.
The one thing that I really loved when I took a couple of Masters Swim courses was getting the other strokes and styles down. It's fun to mix them up during a session. Breast, side, back, butterfly, along with crawl makes for great swim!

I also like to use kick boards and flippers to mix things up. Using flippers for a few laps works different parts, plus you can go pretty darn fast.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:46 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
I love swimming but I don’t do laps or swim for fitness. I just float around and enjoy the water Maybe if I turn 90 I’ll think about making one of my favorite places in the world - swimming pools - into a boring chore, but for now I’ll just enjoy the sun and relaxation

Old 03-19-2019, 05:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
I long (Lust) for a 50m lap pool.

Can't run... youth injury.

Swam 72 laps every lunch break for 10 yrs, and felt great (Drown your sorrows at work!, leave them at the bottom of the pool)

but... moved to a 'rainy' community with 6 lanes of 25m for 300,000 people, so...

Can't wait to find a lap pool (Feeling better just thinking about it!)

While in NZ and Australia for 6 months, I exclaimed that I would be a hero if I could swim as well as a 'down-under' soccer mom! They all showed up about 9am and they were FAST!!! One community of 50,000 hosted 3-5000 swimmers / month. I was impressed and very happy! (and healthy). Thay had over 20 indoor lanes and they were usually full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness