Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 10:38 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times

Advertisements

I started swimming laps a few weeks ago after a fighter fighter friend turned me on to doing them. She is ripped and credits swimming to a great degree (I'm not kidding, she has a 6 pack and looks fantastic). Our first time together she could go on for over an hour and a half, but I got one heck of a workout initially with just 15 intense minutes and now I'm up to about 45 minutes doing intense interval style training.

I have to say, swimming laps is awesome - never had such an overall body workout and never have I ever seen such quick gains in my cardio endurance! After about 45 minutes I feel an overall mental mellowness that continues throughout the rest of the day. My joints don't hurt (I don't feel like I'm wearing anything out unlike with running), and I find it to be a meditative experience as well.

My personal preference is doing laps outside (if that's available to you, try it!). I am finding myself waking up every day looking forward to my next swim. Anyone else swim regularly for exercise? One question I have is does anyone use waterproof ear buds and iPod for music while doing laps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 08:12 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
I swim often when im training for an upcoming Ironman event. Im usually in the water for 1.5 hours and dont carry any electronics, other than my fitbit. Im addicted to running and have my first 100mile/24hour ultra-marathon in a few weeks.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:20 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
I enjoy swimming. It is a very good workout. I always feel so great after a good swimming session.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:22 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I love open water swimming.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Swimming is one of my favorites. All summer I bring the kids down to the pool in our complex, and they play while I do laps. The first couple of weeks I'll really be feeling it, and wiped out at the end of the day.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:02 PM

151 posts, read 169,960 times
I love swimming as well, but I am more of an outdoor runner. When training for triathlons I usually try to do 1-1.5 miles, but I really only swim when I am training for a specific race.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:41 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
We have a center that offers swim workouts in the am before the pool opens to lap swimmers. It's led by an awesome instructor/coach who uses a laptop and some crazy type software that does all sorts of things. The workouts are intense and awesome. So if you enjoy swimming, I would absolutely recommend joining an instructor led group.

Best of luck and have fun.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:35 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I used to swim in high school so that's how I got my wide back. Our pool here at the complex is nice. Maybe I'll do some laps tomorrow after working out. I just have to find a proper bikini

Old 07-15-2015, 07:02 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
I'm currently training for a sprint tri on Aug 16th. I've been doing 1/2 to 1 mile laps. I'm not a great swimmer, but I'm getting better. I definitely like the bike and run training better, but until I do some OWS training next week I won't know if I like it better than pool laps.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:08 PM

957 posts, read 1,133,381 times
I'm a kind of addicted to swimming like the op
when summer breaks, that's to say late may/early june here, I begin to swim basically everyday
even the days I have to work I use to wake up very early, say 5 am, and take a couple of hours in the water
this until late september/early october
I like to compete with myself, at the end of the season I can reach a distance miles and miles at a fast pace without feeling any weak or having any arm hurting
I also prefer to swim when the sea is a little rough because it takes you to be smarter in playing with the waves

I also enjoy smelling the salty water, the scent of junipers, pines and sunscreens

I'm not ashamed to add that, sometimes in the water when I'm "high" I begin to swim at at the fastest speed I can (for a short time of course) and my thorax rises above the level of the water a bit, people see me and think I freak out but I don't care at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness