Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 11:49 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times

Advertisements

I give up. I'm in pretty good shape. I exercise regularly, can do a spin class or kick boxing class with no problem. But if I so much as slow jog for more than 2 minutes, I have to stop because of the searing pain in my shins.

All I want to do is run a 5K - not too much to ask. Over the past decade I have tried dozens of shoes, evrey possible running surface, and seen multiple doctors. I even had custom orthotics made by one doc (he made casts of my feet and then had them custom made). But nothing helps. It doesn't matter if a stretch, don't stretch, try it every day, or take weeks off. I just can't do it.

Please help. How can I begin a jogging (I don't even care about running at this point) program is I can't even run for more than a few minutes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 09:17 PM

684 posts, read 791,546 times
Ouch! Man, I had shin splints once. It hurts.

Shoes do make a difference. Also, I found that running on a softer grass surface made it easier for me than running on any flat surface (track). Plus, I could runs stairs just fine without any pain; and high knee running. There's just something about running like that that takes away the strain from the shins when landing.

I wish I had an answer for you. All I did to get over my shin splints was to rest them. I did all other exercises possible, but no running. Until, they healed. -- The very moment you feel any shin pains whatsoever, stop immediately, you'll only make it worse. That's what I did. If all you can do is run one lap, then run it, but once pains starts, stop.

I'm no doctor nor expert, but that's all I got. Hope you get better.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:55 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I give up. I'm in pretty good shape. I exercise regularly, can do a spin class or kick boxing class with no problem. But if I so much as slow jog for more than 2 minutes, I have to stop because of the searing pain in my shins.

All I want to do is run a 5K - not too much to ask. Over the past decade I have tried dozens of shoes, evrey possible running surface, and seen multiple doctors. I even had custom orthotics made by one doc (he made casts of my feet and then had them custom made). But nothing helps. It doesn't matter if a stretch, don't stretch, try it every day, or take weeks off. I just can't do it.

Please help. How can I begin a jogging (I don't even care about running at this point) program is I can't even run for more than a few minutes?

Shin splints won't go away if you won't work through them.

I ran track all throughout high school, ran road races while I was in the military and did track in college Virtually every single spring when I was first transitioning to more intense interval work, I would suffer from shin splints, almost like allergies coming in. I worked through them, managed as best as I could, did stretches, worked on my hips and typically after about 2 weeks they would be completely gone.

Shin splints signify a muscle imbalance, if you just stop running cold turkey, they never really improve. You should be using ice, doing stretches(twisting a towel between your feet works wonders) and most of all, make sure you have properly fitting shoes that are the right type for your feet. Also make sure that what you're calling shin splints isn't actually a stress fracture.

Find out where the muscle imbalance lies for you. In my case I always had massive, super strong calves, there was an imbalance with the tibialis muscle that led to the pain. If your calves are weak, train your calves hard, if it is your tibialis, do exercises to strengthen that.

Weak hips and glutes can also increase the odds of shin splints. To strengthen your hips and improve their flexibility, practice hurdle routines out on the track, basically find a hurdle or an object that is about 3 feet and practice lifting your knee straight up in front of you, twisting it to the opposite side, tucking your knee inwards toward your body, making a tilting horizontal L right over the object, and then sweeping your leg to the outside across it. Do this for about 5-10 minutes, increasing to 10-15 minutes, you'll be extremely sore after the first few times.

Cliff Notes

1. Check for stress fracture

2. Proper fitting shoes

3. Find out where your muscle imbalance lies.

4. Work on your hip and glute strength and flexibility.

5. Have someone knowledgeable analyze your running form, most people don't run in the most biomechanically efficient way and put unnecessary stress on their bodies.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:23 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post

Cliff Notes

1. Check for stress fracture

2. Proper fitting shoes

3. Find out where your muscle imbalance lies.

4. Work on your hip and glute strength and flexibility.

5. Have someone knowledgeable analyze your running form, most people don't run in the most biomechanically efficient way and put unnecessary stress on their bodies.
This ^^^^ Especially #5. You would think that we would automatically run "correctly" but that is not the case. Have someone analyze your form and go from there.

Shoes are extremely important as well. Whenever I hear of someone having issues with running, the first thing I ask is what shoes are they wearing. Its almost always some Target, Sears, or least expensive sale brand they found at Footlocker. Going to a dedicated running store like RoadRunner Sports and getting analyzed and fitted properly for the right shoe, then getting something like Brooks or Mizuno almost always fixes what ever issue one may have.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:39 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I've had shin splints twice.

It's miserable.

What really helped me were the Zensah Compression Leg Sleeves.

I also invested in a nice pair of Sauconys.

If you're going to run, buy a good pair of shoes.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:20 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post

Decades ago I had a similar severe problem with shin splints. I also had custom orthotics made and they worked for me. I used to wear them all the time in all my shoes. I panicked once when I was running a half marathon and realized I had forgot to insert them in my running shoes before the race. I thought for sure I would have a severe case of shin splints from the race, but I didn't. I gradually stopped wearing them and have not had a case of shin splints since. I'm also very careful about the type of running shoes I buy, and have been fitted numerous times at specialty running shoe stores.

I wondering if your orthotics and running shoes were in conflict. This is pure speculation but for example, it they were both compensating for over pronation, or if the orthotics were for under pronation, and you wore shoes for over pronation, could this cause the shin splints. Assuming your podiatrist has experience with runners, I would ask him why you're still getting shin splints. The next step would be a running specialty store where they actually watch you run. I have done this both outside and on a treadmill. Make sure you run with the orthotics.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:46 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
From experience, what worked for me was to finally ditch the orthotics and the chiropractor, and to start practicing Yoga and asking for ways from a knowledgeable studio run by very knowledgeable teachers to solve my imbalances and structural weaknesses. I kid you not, Yoga solved every issue (from intermittent to persistent back, hip, and shoulder issues) in a matter of months.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:57 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belovenow View Post
From experience, what worked for me was to finally ditch the orthotics and the chiropractor, and to start practicing Yoga and asking for ways from a knowledgeable studio run by very knowledgeable teachers to solve my imbalances and structural weaknesses. I kid you not, Yoga solved every issue (from intermittent to persistent back, hip, and shoulder issues) in a matter of months.
Did yoga solve your shin splints?

Old 07-15-2015, 12:20 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Shin splints are caused by pull on interosseus membrane connecting your tibia and fubula. Fast walkers get them very often, so do runners. It's tibialis anterior pull on membrane when you dorsiflex your foot. This can actually be contolled, by controlling the muscle action during swing phase. That's how I fixed mine. It's learning how to NOT overcompensate by pulling toe up too hard and too much. Sort of learning how to relax tibialis anterior through swing "just right".
Otherwise, they sell shin splint sleeves. DJ Ortho has them. What it does, it squeezes entire tibial section and prevents those vibrations on IO membrane, resulting in shin splints.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:30 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately, I've already tried most of it. I have spent a King's ransom on shoes, been to every specialty running store within 50 miles, and none of them made a difference.

I may try the sleeves. Only problem is that I live in a crazy hot climate, so running with them on any time of year other than winter isn't very appealing.

The yoga thing is interesting. I could see how it would have some benefits. The only issue is that the few times I've done yoga, I've hated it. I found it very boring. I never relaxed. I guess I just don't "get it." I should probably just suck it up and give it a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness