Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 09:49 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,499 times

Advertisements

I just want to get my heart rate during activities and monitor my sleep. I walk but not as much as I'm doing kickboxing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 10:25 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I just want to get my heart rate during activities and monitor my sleep. I walk but not as much as I'm doing kickboxing.
I just purchased one of these a few weeks ago. I used to have a polar heart rate monitor but it recently died. Instead of getting a new polar I decided on the fitbit charge HR. I was skeptical that it would not record my HR accurately because there is no chest strap, but It's actually very accurate for a heart rate monitor.

It has a lot of features but the ones I pay attention to most are the HR and resting HR, calories burned, distance and sleep log. Of course it also has steps and stairs too.

I've been pretty happy with it.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:26 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
I have the Charge HR. It records my heart rate, steps, sleep, number of floors climbed. It has a button on the side that you can use to mark your workouts so that you can see your heart rate in greater detail than the rest of your day. You just push it until it vibrates to start and then push it until it vibrates to end. You can sync the device to your phone/computer and see the data.

I like it.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:49 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
I have the Fitbit surge and I'm pleased. I picked it up on eBay for less than $100 NIB (+12$ shipping) *won it on auction. It just has a little bit more bells and whistles than the charge HR <--- which I would rather recommend.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:52 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
In all seriousness, why not measure your pulse with two fingers held against the underside of your wrist? And not stress out over how well you're sleeping, since that will of course only result in worse sleep quality and less time making z's?

It's amusing as much as downright scary how Americans IN PARTICULAR are so sold by advertising campaigns for junk gadgets that they convince themselves they can't live without them. Folks totally don't realize how completely asinine they look walking, jogging, or whatever with all kinds of toys velcro'd and otherwise attached to them.

Sorry for any offense caused, but what we're getting at here is the heart of the matter. Garmin toys and "Fitbits" are COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY accessories whose main purpose is to announce that the user has the money to throw away in order to own them.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:52 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I have the Fitbit surge and I'm pleased. I picked it up on eBay for less than $100 NIB (+12$ shipping) *won it on auction. It just has a little bit more bells and whistles than the charge HR <--- which I would rather recommend.
That was a good price. I do like that the surge display stays on the whole time; it is similar to the way the polar worked. It seemed a bit too big for my wrist though, and not something I would want to wear all the time.

Oh, wanted to add for the OP that the charge (and I think the surge too) will vibrate when you receive a phone call and display who is calling. It will come in VERY handy when I'm back in school teaching and I can't have the volume on my phone on. It will at least let me know if my husband or kids are trying to get in touch with me.

I also like that I can use it as an alarm clock. My husband and I need to wake at different times in the morning. If I'm getting up at 4:30 his sleep is not disrupted because he can't hear my alarm go off...it just vibrates on my wrist.

Last edited by *Sixy*; 07-24-2015 at 08:06 AM..

Old 07-24-2015, 07:58 AM

247 posts, read 231,094 times
I also have the Surge and love it!

Old 07-24-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
The biggest difference between the Surge and Charge HR is the GPS functionality. When I was looking the Surge was $100 more than the Charge HF and I would never use the GPS functionality because I usually run indoors (treadmill). I think if you are going to use the additional functionality the Surge is a good device. The one thing I don't like about the Surge is that it's HUGE. I am a fairly small woman so I like the smaller Charge HR.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
In all seriousness, why not measure your pulse with two fingers held against the underside of your wrist? And not stress out over how well you're sleeping, since that will of course only result in worse sleep quality and less time making z's?

It's amusing as much as downright scary how Americans IN PARTICULAR are so sold by advertising campaigns for junk gadgets that they convince themselves they can't live without them. Folks totally don't realize how completely asinine they look walking, jogging, or whatever with all kinds of toys velcro'd and otherwise attached to them.

Sorry for any offense caused, but what we're getting at here is the heart of the matter. Garmin toys and "Fitbits" are COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY accessories whose main purpose is to announce that the user has the money to throw away in order to own them.
They are unnecessary. However, something can be fun, and useful without being necessary. I don't know many people who restrict themselves to the bare minimum needed for survival. Nearly everyone has something that is unnecessary.

The OP asked which Fitbit is best for him/her. The OP did not ask about whether Fitbits are necessary. They aren't really luxury items that people use for status.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:43 AM

247 posts, read 231,094 times
I love the GPS feature to map my walks because I was using apps on my phone which was draining my cellular data allowance.

They are not necessary, however, great tools for tracking and a constant reminder to get up and MOVE.

I love the "challenge" feature to "play" with friends! I've lost over 20 pounds since 5/1 with this unnecessary toy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness