Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 06:36 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,627 times

Advertisements

I work as a trainer and have worked with plenty of guys trying to get bigger. They usually "eat all the time" but can't seem to put on any size. When I have them track their calories, eating all the time looks like

pb & j sandwich 8am

handfull almonds 10am

1/2 Chicken caesar salad 1pm

piece of string cheese 3 pm

tuna sandwich 7pm

Likewise, people that "eat healthy" all the time but can't seem to lose weight will write down

bowl cereal, 2 eggs, toast, oj 8am

kashi bar, soft pretzel 10am

sandwich, bowl of soup, chips 12pm

pasta salad, 100 cal bag of cookies 2pm

kashi bar, yogurt with granola 4pm

chicken alfredo, breadstick, brownie, 6pm

popcorn 8pm

It's all calories in and calories out. Some people get the signal earlier that their full while others will get it later.

But I find that thin people tend to eat often, but eat very little while overweight people typically eat fewer meals, but eat a lot of food during those meals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 06:46 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_Socialite View Post
Or do thin people just not eat as much as they say they do?

For years, I thought I had a fast metabolism, but I've monitored my diet and I probably eat just two "big" meals a day (what I consider big anyway) I hardly eat breakfast, and I mostly drink my cals (soda is love) or eat candy (which is usually considered empty calories anyway) I honestly don't think I eat over a thousand calories. Makes me wonder about other skinny minnies that think they're naturally thin, when really they're just unintentionally under-eating.
I've mentioned this before on here: nobody has super human metabolism. People who claim they can eat 30,000 or whatever amount of calories a day/couch potato and still manage to lose weight don't know how to count calories. 99% of the time, thin people (of all ages) are thin because they just don't eat enough calories to gain weight, whether they're exercising or not.

Lol, Let's not kid ourselves about how young we were, how we ate anything and never gain weight because of high metabolism; we just didn't eat enough of whatever we ate.

I challenge anyone, of any age, to spend a week with me to put their extraordinary metabolism to the test. I can guarantee, you'll be 2-3 pant sizes bigger. We're talking 3 servings meals at cheesecake factory, Golden corral buffet, pancakes galore from IHOP, bacon ice cream, you name it. Lol.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:36 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
I've never been heavy, but the only time I was "naturally thin" as an adult was when I worked long hours at a very physically-demanding job, and my only meal for the day was a walnut-studded brownie and black coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I challenge anyone, of any age, to spend a week with me to put their extraordinary metabolism to the test. I can guarantee, you'll be 2-3 pant sizes bigger. We're talking 3 servings meals at cheesecake factory, Golden corral buffet, pancakes galore from IHOP, bacon ice cream, you name it. Lol.
Ugh, I went up 3 pants sizes just reading that

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 07-25-2015 at 08:31 AM..

Old 07-25-2015, 07:54 AM

12,846 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Yes there are natural differences. I can't walk past a Cinnabon without gaining weight just from the smell. Yet I had a good friend for years who could, and did, eat anything but was a total bean pole. My DD has been a soccer player her whole life. She can't find pants that will go over her thighs that will still fit her waist.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:57 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Sure.

I have several friends who eat TONS and tons of garbage, never work out, and are stick figures.

Annoying.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:04 AM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times
I know for a fact it is a "thing". My DH is 60 years old, 5'11" and has never weighed over 155 in his entire life. He used to really pound down the food and beers, and never gained an ounce. Now he eats more healthy (very little red meat or saturated fat), not because of weight control, but because his cholesterol went up slightly above normal. He used to eat huge meals followed by pie and sweets and anything in his path, He still wears the same size 31x34 pants he has worn his entire adult life. Everyone told him it would catch up to him someday, but it never has. He has always eaten approximately twice the calories I eat and has difficulty keeping weight on. I eat half of what he eats and never drink calorie laden sodas or juices as he does (he drinks approximately 2 liters of fruit juice per day!) and I can't lose weight unless I go below 1000 cal per day and exercise.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:06 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
I was naturally too thin as a teen. I ate soooo much food all the time and couldn't gain a pound. I was always moving and had so much energy. I could barely sit still. I had to get my clothes tailor made because most stores didn't carry size 0 or below back in the eighties.

Then I hit 30 and had a normal size six figure.

Then I hit 40 and I'm up to a size ten.

I'm trying to build muscle/do cardio to boost my metabolism and eat about 1500 calories a day. I'm losing, but it's slow.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:10 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_Socialite View Post
Or do thin people just not eat as much as they say they do?

For years, I thought I had a fast metabolism, but I've monitored my diet and I probably eat just two "big" meals a day (what I consider big anyway) I hardly eat breakfast, and I mostly drink my cals (soda is love) or eat candy (which is usually considered empty calories anyway) I honestly don't think I eat over a thousand calories. Makes me wonder about other skinny minnies that think they're naturally thin, when really they're just unintentionally under-eating.
Two big meals...soda and candy all day and you think you're on a low cal diet?! Very irritating...few women could get by on this kind of "diet" but please feel free to rub everyone's nose in it. YES, YOU"RE NATURALLY SKINNY...FOR THE MOMENT! Likely it will catch up to you and you won't know how to eat healthy food with fewer calories and higher nutrition. Enjoy it now...pay for it later.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:00 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
I was naturally thin until about 30. I ate like crap, exercised some, but nothing extreme. My metabolism slowed and the weight piled on.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:39 AM

62 posts, read 84,127 times
I had a zippity metabolism up until I hit 42 or so. I wasn't a gorger or anything but I did pretty much eat whatever I wanted which was a lot of junk food and fast food and if I didnt eat enough I lost weight super fast. sometimes I would eat ice cream or drink milkshakes when I couldnt eat as much just so I would lose any more weight. sadly those days are over but I still can eat a bit more than the average person my age without gaining weight as long as Im consistent with my exercise. which isnt anything hard core but I have always been active and into fitness but nothing extreme. I've always tried to workout 2-4 times a week but I've had lags here n there depending on my life at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness