Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:09 AM

279 posts, read 361,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleCat View Post
I will say that when I ask if they're using something they are always nice about it but I just really hate like I feel like I'm interrupting their He Man Woman Haters Club meeting.
I really don't think it has anything to do with woman haters at all. It's the same for other men who dislike them doing that too.

I had one guy who told me "No man - I'm in the middle of that" when I went to a bench that had no one around it. I said, Sorry, and then started to look for another when I saw he walked away to another machine across the floor. Now I'm all for super-sets, but you either do them when its less busy or you do them in areas where you are at both machines. I was going to approach him about it but then I noticed he was telling someone else at another machine that he was using that as well and that conversation wasn't going so well. I figured I could get involved or move on with my workout instead - I choose the latter.

As others have mentioned 5-7 is THE rush time and unfortunately there is just a subset of people who think the gym is their personal private space to use as they please. I find this mindset most often displayed by guys in their 20's to be honest. Not all of them - not even the majority of them - but it is the majority of the guys who do that. Maybe its the testosterone?

I also think there are a number of younger guys who are juicing or just using way too much caffeine supplements and are a little unstable. They are almost manic in the gym. Shame too as that is the age when they least need to put any supplements in their body to get a good workout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 08:10 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
The weight hogs are also the ones who just leave their weights lying there (never re-racking) so you can't tell if they are done or what.

Reason 3423424 I left the gym and built one in my house.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:23 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-guy View Post
I really don't think it has anything to do with woman haters at all. It's the same for other men who dislike them doing that too.

I had one guy who told me "No man - I'm in the middle of that" when I went to a bench that had no one around it. I said, Sorry, and then started to look for another when I saw he walked away to another machine across the floor. Now I'm all for super-sets, but you either do them when its less busy or you do them in areas where you are at both machines. I was going to approach him about it but then I noticed he was telling someone else at another machine that he was using that as well and that conversation wasn't going so well. I figured I could get involved or move on with my workout instead - I choose the latter.

As others have mentioned 5-7 is THE rush time and unfortunately there is just a subset of people who think the gym is their personal private space to use as they please. I find this mindset most often displayed by guys in their 20's to be honest. Not all of them - not even the majority of them - but it is the majority of the guys who do that. Maybe its the testosterone?

I also think there are a number of younger guys who are juicing or just using way too much caffeine supplements and are a little unstable. They are almost manic in the gym. Shame too as that is the age when they least need to put any supplements in their body to get a good workout.
Usually I let them have it if they are polite. A couple of years ago there was this old lady who I swear would setup a trap where she would lead various dumbbells around and whenever you would walk up to a set she would rush over and say she was using that. I just avoided her.

This weekend I went to one of the two squat racks in my gym and there were no weights on it. I racked my weight and noticed a phone on the safety cross piece or whatever. I looked around a bit and was getting ready to do my set and this girl comes out of nowhere and said that she was going to use that and left her stuff there.

If it were racked when I got there I would probably let her have it, but it was not. I have been going to the gym for a while and I have never seen that so I just smiled sheepishly and kind of shrugged.

The one I get most is "I was going to use that!" and I just say well I am using this but you are welcome to work in. Going to use it is not the same as using it.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:25 AM

155 posts, read 302,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
They actually want you to have to talk to them. But this has been going on since the beginning of gym's. Please remember this is some people's social outlet/club. Some of the more serious do not go hang out anywhere but the gym. The only problem is that they do bother women.

There are gym's with women only areas and women's gyms.

Also try non-peak hours as 5-7 is generally annoying at all gym's.

You are lucky you are not a guy, in every man's locker room there is one old fat man who stands or sits rite near the door naked. EVERY. LOCKER. ROOM.

That is what they want. They want the girls to talk to them then the girls cannot get away from them after that. Every time they go to the gym they have to talk to them.

Yes that's what I think it is too. It's a power thing. I think the men want to spread their feathers all over the weight room.

I live in NJ and there's no shortage of gyms here to choose from but I thought that by going to one affiliated with a hospital there would be a different clientele. I've tried a woman's only gym but when I asked for a squat rack, the owner laughed at me and said that women shouldn't lift heavy weights.

I will try some of the feedback that everyone has offered!

Old 07-28-2015, 08:28 AM

9,520 posts, read 16,501,246 times
I've notice it also, among other observations. I travel quite abit during the summer, so I use gyms in various locations. It's going on all over the country. I think its part of something else I have noticed. More and more I am noticing the types mentioned, as well as anyone in their 20's. They just seem to spend a ridiculous amount of time, in the gyms in the day times. Even multiple times in a day. The gyms are crowded with these types. Whether it be 8am, mid morning, early afternoon, any time. It is not just the after work 5pm crowd anymore. This seems to go on even in areas, where night shifts for jobs are not the norm. So when exactly do any of these 20 something's work? If in fact they even hold a job. It just baffles me. These Bro's mentioned or again just that age group. It's gotten ridiculous. I realize some could be going to college, but many seem well beyond college age. I recently asked one of the people at the gym counter about this. She told me she wonder's every day she comes to work, how so many her age just spend their day in a gym. Her guess is they live with parents thru their 20's or even longer now. Well whatever they do Bro's or whatever. I wish they would get a day job, or a job. Just do something besides crowd up gyms. It's bad enough they are there all the time, but they have little to no manners. Weights all over, take over equipment. Even gyms deserve some type of slow time, and that use to be during parts of the daytime.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Usually I let them have it if they are polite. A couple of years ago there was this old lady who I swear would setup a trap where she would lead various dumbbells around and whenever you would walk up to a set she would rush over and say she was using that. I just avoided her.

This weekend I went to one of the two squat racks in my gym and there were no weights on it. I racked my weight and noticed a phone on the safety cross piece or whatever. I looked around a bit and was getting ready to do my set and this girl comes out of nowhere and said that she was going to use that and left her stuff there.

If it were racked when I got there I would probably let her have it, but it was not. I have been going to the gym for a while and I have never seen that so I just smiled sheepishly and kind of shrugged.

The one I get most is "I was going to use that!" and I just say well I am using this but you are welcome to work in. Going to use it is not the same as using it.
Yeah - it is amazing how people think they can somehow "reserve" a machine and not wait/ask to work in like everyone else.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The weight hogs are also the ones who just leave their weights lying there (never re-racking) so you can't tell if they are done or what.
At an old gym I use to work out in NY there were signs above all the free weights and I quote (cause I remember it verbatim) "If you are too much of a weakling to put it back, don't pick it up." Most people put their weights back!

Old 07-28-2015, 08:51 AM

589 posts, read 695,740 times
Quote:
You are lucky you are not a guy, in every man's locker room there is one old fat man who stands or sits rite near the door naked. EVERY. LOCKER. ROOM.
God, I hate that guy. And he always wants to talk to everyone, too.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:07 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-guy View Post

Yeah, that's BS. You do supersets when the gym is emptied out, not when other people are waiting to use the equipment, pretty much violates all gym etiquette, just a dick move, I would have told the guy to go **** himself.

Quote:
I think its just general obliviousness and ignorance of others, you'll find quite a few women that age do the same thing, less of an issue with testosterone than a lack of awareness and sometimes immaturity.

Quote:
Meh, I take caffeine before I workout, even if I don't I can be pretty manic in the gym and I train hard but none of that makes you act like a dick, that is just the person's personality bubbling out to the surface.

You can push yourself but still be respectful of others. I'm typically one of the bigger guys at any gyms I go to but I'm very conscious about not falling into the stereotypical meathead category, if someone is using a machine or piece of equipment that I want, I come up with a quick alternative and then go back to it either, I rack my weights, put back all dumbbells, you won't hear me sounding like I'm going into labor from all the way across the gym, I may look pretty intense and even mad when I'm training but I'm happy to help out anyone if they need something, whether its a spot or a question about various lifts.....etc, I just don't go out of my way to be social and start chatting people up.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:16 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,054,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Meh, I take caffeine before I workout, even if I don't I can be pretty manic in the gym and I train hard but none of that makes you act like a dick, that is just the person's personality bubbling out to the surface.
Same here. I'm usually loaded up on caffeine and ephedrine at the gym and at worst I might be a little irritable.

Oh, and the whole roid' rage thing is pretty much nonsense. I think the poster you quoted missed that memo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness