Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:51 AM

155 posts, read 302,869 times

Advertisements

So I'm a woman and it seems like every gym that I go to, there are a bunch of dudes (bros) who seem to take over the entire weight room from 5-7pm. They put their crap everywhere over all the benches and talk and bs and once in awhile will do a set. It's just infuriating to me because I like to get in and get out and I don't understand this male bonding that happens at the gym!! I never have space to do what I want to do because they are everywhereeeeee. I now go to a gym at a hospital with a bunch of senior citizens but THEY'RE STILL THERE!!! Does anyone have any advice for how to handle myself at the gym? I will say that when I ask if they're using something they are always nice about it but I just really hate like I feel like I'm interrupting their He Man Woman Haters Club meeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 11:11 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,326 times
5-7 is rush hour, If you like to get in and out you're kind of screwed. Ask if you can work in, most of those guys aren't so bad really.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:13 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleCat View Post
So I'm a woman and it seems like every gym that I go to, there are a bunch of dudes (bros) who seem to take over the entire weight room from 5-7pm. They put their crap everywhere over all the benches and talk and bs and once in awhile will do a set. It's just infuriating to me because I like to get in and get out and I don't understand this male bonding that happens at the gym!! I never have space to do what I want to do because they are everywhereeeeee. I now go to a gym at a hospital with a bunch of senior citizens but THEY'RE STILL THERE!!! Does anyone have any advice for how to handle myself at the gym? I will say that when I ask if they're using something they are always nice about it but I just really hate like I feel like I'm interrupting their He Man Woman Haters Club meeting.
Well I noticed something similar the other evening. I went to the gym to work out and found that a handful of young men had taken a ridiculous number of dumbbells off the rack and had them resting on top of several vinyl covered/padded benches. Another guy took 6 barbells (of the kind you cannot switch weight) off their rack and lined them up in front of a nearby mirror. The barbell guy proceeded to do curls followed by literally dropping each bar on the ground meanwhile the guys with the weights piled onto the benches would do various exercises followed by dropping them onto the floor or benches. I was trying to workout around these guys and found them to be just a bunch of misguided big-kids with poor/equipment-abusive workout habits. When I was done, I told one of the gym staff about the issues and don't know if they ever followed-up. I think these young men who may have just been a bunch of high schoolers just didn't know any better. In any case, I didn't want to approach them directly in case they took direction poorly and I figured that gym staff have such responsibility as part of their job description.

OP - my recommendation to you is to ask to work in-between sets with them... and then I would likewise discreetly follow-up with the staff or gym management about the issue. You like me probably pay full price to be a member, you are entitled to fair use of everything. My situation is a bit different as I was more concerned about the wear and tear these big kids were doing to the equipment and floors I help pay for than about anything else... but in any case that's what the staff/management are there for.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:14 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Did you talked to the gym management?
Do you have guts to just speak up, and ask those "bros"?? You need to address stuff you have problem with. No one is going to read your mind...

Old 07-27-2015, 11:29 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
IDK, I go to the gym on campus when I'm there. It's mostly young "bros" there too, but management runs a pretty tight ship, as far as being considerate to other gym-goers, cleaning up after themselves, etc. I haven't had any problems, and they're really nice about taking the heavy plates off the bar for me. Of course, a eye-lashing batting never hurts.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:30 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
That's weird that every gym you go to would be like that. I've never encountered that. But taking up all the equipment with their gym bags and whatever, and taking up the equipment without being active on it, usually aren't acceptable. Have you reported it to the staff? You should. You have a legit complaint.

Who said they hate women? They're just enjoying a nice social hour they've created for themselves. There must be other women besides you, who arrive after work....? Can you band together with them, and approach the staff?

Old 07-27-2015, 11:31 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Do you have guts to just speak up, and ask those "bros"?? You need to address stuff you have problem with. No one is going to read your mind...
Right!

Because b****ing about the "bros" on an internet forum, and not doing anything about it, is useless.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:44 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
Quote:

That was your first mistake. 5PM-8PM are the worst possible hours to try and get in a workout at most gyms, especially on International Bench Press Day...aka....Monday.

Some younger guys like to travel in packs, I never understood it and thought it was a waste of time since waiting for everyone else to get done with their own reps limits what you can do during your own workout but it is what it is.

Like you, I like to get in, get my workout done and get out, no nonsense or unnecessary delays needed. Now I usually go really early in the AM which seems to be the gathering time for the no-nonsense crowd, or later on at night after the crowds have thinned out.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:04 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
I think it's a symptom of our modern day society ... some younger people who have not been properly reared and are oblivious to the concepts of courtesy and respect. Not casting aspersion on all young people ... it's just that some are impolite, arrogant, and selfish though.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:11 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Why would it take guts to speak to guys in a gym? They are just people.

But I see this type of scenario at my local gym, too. Weight-hogs, bench-hogs, mirror-hogs; not everyone at the gym is polite and respectful. Some forget about sharing equipment or space. In my experience, it's more often the young 'hot-shots' who do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness