Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:01 AM

30 posts, read 48,393 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a busy working mom to a 3.5 year old and a nearly 5 month old. I'm looking for advice from other working (working as in 'employed outside the home'...I know that all moms work very hard whether actively getting paid or not!) moms on how you fit workouts in with the busy schedule.

With my first, I found it challenging but doable....I had a short commute and since I went to work later than my husband, I could hit the gym after work on my way home.

Now that I have my second I also have a MUCH longer commute. Husband leaves for work at 5AM (yes, 5AM) so me working out BEFORE he leaves the house is not an option. I don't have a treadmill at home and am considering it, but even if I did I don't think I could get a workout in early AM after he leaves, because starting at 5:30AM I'm typically juggling kids (baby is up, sometimes goes back down, then my 3.5 year old is up and down frequently because he is 3.5 and frustrating in general, as all 3 year olds are).

I'm in sales so there are days when I get out of a call and can run by the gym on my way home, but that's not always the case. On the days that I'm in the office, I get home around 5:45 or 6. Then its dinner, baths, bottle, bedtime stories....and kids are down by 8.

At 8....I'm exhausted. Baby still not sleeping through the night so I have no energy to run by the gym at that time. And there's dishes, laundry, cleaning, dog walking, lunch packing...just so much stuff to do that spending time on ME really seems like basically not an option.

I'm reading this and thinking damn that's a lot of excuses....and maybe that's all it is....but honestly I'm just not sure how to fit it all in to one day. I'd really love tips from moms! I have a little weight to lose but honestly, I just really miss feeling good and being in shape.

FWIW....I'm 38. Started on this 'mom' thing a little later in life, though that was not my plan but OK, you get what you get. I've gone to a doctor for the exhaustion and she ran some blood tests which I'm hoping to get results on soon.

Thanks much for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 10:48 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
All you did is list excuses as to why you cant, or are unable to work out. Stop making excuses about why/when you CANT do and figure out on your own schedule when you CAN.

Bottom line is, if its important to you, you WILL make the time. If it isnt so important, then you will continue to come up with excuses as to why you cant/wont do it.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:05 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
Having done nearly the exact same schedule you describe above working outside the home, with a 3.5 year old and a newborn, with a spouse that leaves early, just like yours, I can tell you what your main issue is -- your kids' sleep schedule. Get your 5 month old sleeping through the night already! That means wake time is at 7am -- same goes for the toddler.

I've done it twice -- got both kids keeping through the night at 10 weeks. There are 5 or 6 fabulous books out there on this -- they are lifesavers!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/044...TTEYRSF6NAA45F

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/074...44WWSSG2RX4VVV

The Sleepeasy Solution: The Exhausted Parent's Guide to Getting Your Child to Sleep from Birth to Age 5: Jennifer Waldburger, Jill Spivack: 9780757305603: Amazon.com: Books

All you need is a 30-40 min workout, preferably HIIT, like Jillian's 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30. They are FAST. I would do them at 6am. Knock it out. You don't need anything but your TV, a mat and weights. Hell, I don't even wear shoes when I do my videos. No commute time needed, no money needed for the gym.

I totally understand about night time and being flat-out exhausted, it's just not an option to work out that late. Trust me, get you kids sleeping right and it will do EVERYONE a world of good ASIDE from giving you some time to yourself to exercise.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
This might not work everyone, but I've been known to drag out my dumbbells at 11pm and crank out an intense 30 minutes or so of lifting. Cardio happens when it happens. I hit the gym at school if I'm on campus and have a little time between classes, but usually I just work out at home late at night.

Housework can wait (face it, the dishes and laundry will always need to be done whether you stay on top of it or not), your husband can take over kid duty for a little while, take the dog for a run instead of a walk, (or saddle up the stroller and take the little ones with you), and just be consistent until it becomes part of your regular routine.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 07-29-2015 at 11:38 AM..

Old 07-29-2015, 11:16 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnauzerfriendly View Post
Hello all,

I am a busy working mom to a 3.5 year old and a nearly 5 month old. I'm looking for advice from other working (working as in 'employed outside the home'...I know that all moms work very hard whether actively getting paid or not!) moms on how you fit workouts in with the busy schedule.

With my first, I found it challenging but doable....I had a short commute and since I went to work later than my husband, I could hit the gym after work on my way home.

Now that I have my second I also have a MUCH longer commute. Husband leaves for work at 5AM (yes, 5AM) so me working out BEFORE he leaves the house is not an option. I don't have a treadmill at home and am considering it, but even if I did I don't think I could get a workout in early AM after he leaves, because starting at 5:30AM I'm typically juggling kids (baby is up, sometimes goes back down, then my 3.5 year old is up and down frequently because he is 3.5 and frustrating in general, as all 3 year olds are).

I'm in sales so there are days when I get out of a call and can run by the gym on my way home, but that's not always the case. On the days that I'm in the office, I get home around 5:45 or 6. Then its dinner, baths, bottle, bedtime stories....and kids are down by 8.

At 8....I'm exhausted. Baby still not sleeping through the night so I have no energy to run by the gym at that time. And there's dishes, laundry, cleaning, dog walking, lunch packing...just so much stuff to do that spending time on ME really seems like basically not an option.

I'm reading this and thinking damn that's a lot of excuses....and maybe that's all it is....but honestly I'm just not sure how to fit it all in to one day. I'd really love tips from moms! I have a little weight to lose but honestly, I just really miss feeling good and being in shape.

FWIW....I'm 38. Started on this 'mom' thing a little later in life, though that was not my plan but OK, you get what you get. I've gone to a doctor for the exhaustion and she ran some blood tests which I'm hoping to get results on soon.

Thanks much for your input!

Reading all this wore me out...And thankful mine our all adults now, kids , hubby are work~ ... LOL!
One questing here...."Where your hubby in all this" ? Sounds like your shouldering and juggling it all, kids, job and the household duties , ugh! You need get him on broad so you have some along time to self, it's a must to maintain one health and state of mind..... At this point I suggest you take the kids along for a walk after dinner, this will help them and you wind down and sleep better... Hugs

Old 07-29-2015, 11:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
OP: you know who is really inspiring (in spite of the nonsensical backlash)? Google Maria Kang, aka Fit Mom. I've been following her for a while now, because it really is inspiring to someone juggle as much as she does, but still make fitness an attainable goal.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:03 PM

951 posts, read 1,139,924 times
I went from a size 10 to 2 in 6 months when my son was 2. I'm the same age as you and work full time. I just did the Jillian Michaels videos at home and went for bike rides/run/walks outside at other times. My son would watch me work out when I did the videos and he would even want to participate. I also took him on the bike rides and walks with me. More importantly, I cooked more when I wanted to lose weight and watched what I ate heavily. There were no excuses and it was something that I needed to do to make myself better. You really have to want it or you won't get it.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:46 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
OP: you know who is really inspiring (in spite of the nonsensical backlash)? Google Maria Kang, aka Fit Mom. I've been following her for a while now, because it really is inspiring to someone juggle as much as she does, but still make fitness an attainable goal.
I second this.

Maria Kang is awesome.

Maria Kang | No Excuse Mom and Social Entrepreneur

Old 07-30-2015, 07:48 PM

30 posts, read 48,393 times
Thanks to those who provided suggestions.

DVDs / online workouts are definitely something I could manage at home. Had not really considered that before to be honest.

I cook quite healthy, do weight watchers and overall am not terribly concerned about weight / size. I'm not as thin as I was pre-kids but I'm not all that far from it. I just want to feel better, have the option to run like I used to, etc.

Once the fall comes this will be much easier, as I have a BOB and can pop the baby in for a run after work. Right now it is 110 degrees heat index here, so that's a no go!

I reviewed my post and I have to say, I actually don't think the reasons cited for having difficulty finding time to workout are "excuses". Rather, they are reasons why this is suddenly much more complicated....and the reason why I posted this in the first place. I agree that you make time for what is most important. In this phase of my life, my kids are most important. hands down. I will always sacrifice my time for them. But I do need a balance as well, that's what I'm realizing. I'm a better mom if I can take a jog a few times a week, just need to figure out how to do that! So again, thank you to those of you who have posted helpful replies!

Old 07-30-2015, 08:36 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnauzerfriendly View Post
Thanks to those who provided suggestions.

DVDs / online workouts are definitely something I could manage at home. Had not really considered that before to be honest.

I cook quite healthy, do weight watchers and overall am not terribly concerned about weight / size. I'm not as thin as I was pre-kids but I'm not all that far from it. I just want to feel better, have the option to run like I used to, etc.

Once the fall comes this will be much easier, as I have a BOB and can pop the baby in for a run after work. Right now it is 110 degrees heat index here, so that's a no go!

I reviewed my post and I have to say, I actually don't think the reasons cited for having difficulty finding time to workout are "excuses". Rather, they are reasons why this is suddenly much more complicated....and the reason why I posted this in the first place. I agree that you make time for what is most important. In this phase of my life, my kids are most important. hands down. I will always sacrifice my time for them. But I do need a balance as well, that's what I'm realizing. I'm a better mom if I can take a jog a few times a week, just need to figure out how to do that! So again, thank you to those of you who have posted helpful replies!

I still say being a mom is the hardest job I ever held but yet the most rewarding! Enjoy your babies, it fly by before you know it they are grown and gone... ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness