Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:21 PM

440 posts, read 377,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
Creeps and freaks staring at you in the mirror but refuse to talk when you make eye contact.

That one guy who wants to strike up a conversation in the middle of a set, almost getting you killed.

The obviously sick girl on the treadmill who keeps coughing with each step. I think I'll cut my workout short today!
If you are shirtless doing poses I guess you want people to look at you.
I don't think people build their muscles for people not to notice them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 10:30 PM

29,505 posts, read 22,616,067 times
Curling in the squat rack or doing dead lifts right there in front of the squat rack.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:40 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,054,326 times
Things that annoy me

- Not wiping down machine/benches
- Overly loud music
- Needlessly tying up machines (like the idiot who spent 15 minutes on his phone on the row machine or the stupid woman who tied up half a cable machine to do 10lb curls)

Things that don't really annoy me but I find funny nonetheless

- The "Only Does Curls" guy. Got one at my gym who I've seen do no less than 10 different arm movements but has never (and I mean this literally) been spotted doing something else
- People who wear big, flat billed ball caps while working out. Bonus douche-points if you wear it backwards or sideways
- The guy at my gym who works out in an Affliction t-shirt, designer jeans and cowboy boots, with spikey bleach blonde hair. Did I mention he's like, 50?
- Idiot trainers (about 99% of them)

Old 07-30-2015, 11:48 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times
I'm mildly annoyed at the several people who silently decide they're going to do circuit training, so they have each of the machines set at the proper weight. Then in the middle of the circuit they're distracted by something on TV or a friend just came in, so I'm thinking, "Machine's free now" and they flash me that "How dare you use the machine I've invisibly reserved for my exclusive use while not bothering to tell anybody" look.

Our gym is small with relatively few users. If I go at night there's a good chance no one will be there. I don't like to work out late but it's worth it.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:59 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,457 times
Gym ettiquette pet peeves:

1. jerks that use a piece of equipment & sit on it in between sets like they own it..sometimes doing 5-10 sets.
2. folks that come out of a bathroom stall (particularly after making that area smell bad) & then don't wash their hands before they return to the workout floor.
3. men (mostly) that have loud cell phone conversations that we can not avoid hearing their end of.
4. people who do not wipe off a piece of equipment or a floor mat after they use it & dribbles of their sweart or drool are left behind for others to deal with.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:22 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,831,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Guys who don't rack heavy weights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
1. People who leave heavy plates on the squat bar

2. Women bending over in front of me in tight leggings. Save it for the dudes; they'll appreciate it more
I leave one 45lb plate at each end. That should be enough for next person's warmup. If too much then they should not be in the squat rack.[or bench press] Use the Smith Machine or dumbbells or weighted short bar if your gym has the latter. They do come in 20,30,40-110lb increments.

I left a few plates on one day and the next guy, a senior fellow,gave me lip about leaving all that weight. I said that is how I found them and besides we are here to move weight around. Does not matter if on or off the rack it is good exercise. He could do cable rows if he wants to start at zero.

I actually pickup and rerack loose weights in my downtime in between sets. I arrive and find equipment/benches/surrounding area untidy and when I am done they are orderly.

But as for annoyed....generally never annoyed at anything. life too short and all that.

Last edited by Felix C; 07-31-2015 at 08:43 AM..

Old 07-31-2015, 08:43 AM

589 posts, read 695,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
The guy at my gym who works out in an Affliction t-shirt, designer jeans and cowboy boots, with spikey bleach blonde hair. Did I mention he's like, 50?
...cowboy boots? How do people work out in stuff like this? I can't even run in jeans.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:02 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times
Quote:
Just once I would like to find a trainer who's doing the work because she loves helping people, not because it was a choice between being a trainer and pole-dancing.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:04 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
...cowboy boots? How do people work out in stuff like this? I can't even run in jeans.
I once saw a group of middle aged dudes dressed like they were going to the club and working out LOLOL

Also a man reading the Wall Street Journal (an actual newspaper, not a tablet) in between bench press sets

I always wear in ear headphones blasting my music so I don't really notice what's going on around me. I actually don't mind the posers, pick-up-artists, etc, that's like extra stuff to look at as entertainment while i'm resting between sets.

I never hear anyone talking around me, laughing, coughing, giving unsolicited advice, etc. If I see someone mouthing at me, I motion to both of my ears and shrug at the same time. Then go back to what i'm doing.

I prefer free weights, squat rack, etc so I don't have to worry about machines being used. I also pick up and replace random weight plates in between sets as well. As a female, I figure hey, any extra movement means I just burned an extra calorie LOL

Old 07-31-2015, 09:28 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,398 times
Quote:
- People who wear big, flat billed ball caps while working out. Bonus douche-points if you wear it backwards or sideways
Ultra-Bonus Douche-points if there's a sticker on the underside of the bill.

Quote:
This one's high on my list too.

My all-encompassing pet peeve is that it seems there are too many people at the gym that don't give a crap about anyone but themselves, and they are completely oblivious and discourteous toward every other member. They have no interest in mildly inconveniencing themselves (by unracking their weights, for example) in order to create a better environment for everyone else.

They do all their sets six inches in front of the dumbbell rack so no one can get to the weights.

They don't rack their weights.

They run into you while you're lifting.

They SLAM their weights and damage the equipment.

They spill their "athletic drink" and don't clean it up.

It goes on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness