Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 06:42 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Personally, if I were going to military boot camp/basic training, I'd focus more on body weight exercises that don't require a gym membership. After all, it's not like you're going to have free access to a gym with free weights and machines during basic/boot right?

I'd work on improving pushups, situps, pullups, and dips among other things. Look up those programs online, there are many. The key is to work on your form so you are doing strict regulation style pushups, situps, etc. You want to be able to do way more than what is required for your age range in order to pass the physical tests during boot.

Also, I think a good thing to do is probably those boot camp style exercise routines that are all the rage these days. The key is to do various body weight exercises without stopping. You want to prepare your mind and body for the inevitable smoking/cycling that you will get during boot camp (punishment exercises from the drill instructor).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 06:52 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
She doesn't need one. Following the protocol in the link I gave her will be a good start.
Why are you so hung up on this link? Anyway OP, I agree with McBain that you don't need a trainer. Besides, many gym trainers are pathetic excuses for fitness instructors, so I'd be wary about taking any advice from them. You still haven't given us any personal information, so I have to be general, however, no matter what sex you are, I suggest you alternate cardio and strength exercises for maximum results. But your diet is 70+% of the battle. Eat several meals each day, a protein/carb or protein/vegetable. Count your calories if you want to lose weight. Good luck!

Old 08-03-2015, 07:05 AM

And don't forget, run forest RUN!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:43 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Personally, if I were going to military boot camp/basic training, I'd focus more on body weight exercises that don't require a gym membership. After all, it's not like you're going to have free access to a gym with free weights and machines during basic/boot right?
She'll be able to add considerably more strength in a shorter period of time with actual weight lifting as opposed to body weight stuff. That should be the ultimate goal here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Why are you so hung up on this link?
Because it's the best informational on beginning weight training that I've found and directly addresses the OP's question.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
She'll be able to add considerably more strength in a shorter period of time with actual weight lifting as opposed to body weight stuff. That should be the ultimate goal here.
Sorry but I disagree.

The ultimate goal in her case is to be ready for boot camp, endure the physical routine, and ultimately pass boot camp. And that is by practicing and training for the kinds of physical demands she will experience in boot camp. Pushups, situps, mile and a half run, those sort of things. NOT how much she can bench press or squat. You don't become better at doing pushups by doing dumbbell flyes or bench presses.

You do realize they test for those things in boot camp, and that during physical punishment (which she WILL experience), she will experience hours of having to do bodyweight exercises.

Now I'm not saying she shouldn't work out with weights, of course it doesn't hurt to do so. But not at the expense of getting strong and efficient at what she WILL be doing in boot camp.

Here are some good links

http://www.military.com/military-fit...d-for-bootcamp

http://breakingmuscle.com/military-f...basic-training

Old 08-03-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Sorry but I disagree.

The ultimate goal in her case is to be ready for boot camp, endure the physical routine, and ultimately pass boot camp. And that is by practicing and training for the kinds of physical demands she will experience in boot camp. Pushups, situps, mile and a half run, those sort of things. NOT how much she can bench press or squat.

You do realize they test for those things in boot camp, and that during physical punishment (which she WILL experience), she will experience hours of having to do bodyweight exercises.

Now I'm not saying she shouldn't work out with weights, of course it doesn't hurt to do so. But not at the expense of getting strong and efficient at what WILL be doing in boot camp.
Sorry dude, that's a bunch of nonsense.

She's going to need to be strong, right? You seem to agree on that. Well, strength is strength my friend. The strength you need to do a pushup with is the exact same strength you need to bench press, and she'll be able to build far more strength in a shorter amount of time with an intelligently programmed weight training program than she would with any of that bodyweight stuff.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Sorry dude, that's a bunch of nonsense.

She's going to need to be strong, right? You seem to agree on that. Well, strength is strength my friend. The strength you need to do a pushup with is the exact same strength you need to bench press, and she'll be able to build far more strength in a shorter amount of time with an intelligently programmed weight training program than she would with any of that bodyweight stuff.
Interesting you would call 'nonsense' the need to practice and get more efficient and stronger at the exact activity one would be doing in basic training/boot camp.

Have you ever been to boot camp?

A bench press and a pushup are two different things. Being strong in the bench press doesn't mean you can do military regulation pushups.

Common sense my friend, you practice hard at what you will actually be doing in boot camp. And that is pushups, situps, side straddle hop, mountain climbers, running, etc.

It's obvious you are being stubborn because you want to be right above anyone else with your expertise. I'd get it if you said that in addition to working out in the gym with machines/weights, she should be practicing and perfecting the things she will be doing in boot camp.

But no, you refuse to even acknowledge that.

Like I said, have you ever been to boot camp?

I have.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Interesting you would call 'nonsense' the need to practice and get more efficient and stronger at the exact activity one would be doing in basic training/boot camp.
That's because you're parroting this "functional strength" nonsense that has no basis in fact or science. I mean, do I really have to come back and post the video of the Olympic lifters and powerlifters absolutely torching the Crossfitters (who also subscribe to your general theory) in competition?

Quote:
Have you ever been to boot camp?
Nope, though it'll be a nice little pit stop on my way to getting behind the flight controls of a 20+ million dollar killing machine if my WOFT packet goes through, so I happen to know a little bit of what is required to physically get through boot camp. And let's be honest, boot camp is far more challenging mentally than physically.

Quote:
A bench press and a pushup are two different things. Being strong in the bench press doesn't mean you can do military regulation pushups.
No, not really dude. Both of them use the pecs, anterior delts and triceps in pretty much the same exact fashion.

Quote:
Common sense my friend, you practice hard at what you will actually be doing in boot camp. And that is pushups, situps, side straddle hop, mountain climbers, running, etc.

It's obvious you are being stubborn because you want to be right above anyone else with your expertise. I'd get it if you said that in addition to working out in the gym with machines/weights, she should be practicing and perfecting the things she will be doing in boot camp.

But no, you refuse to even acknowledge that.

Like I said, have you ever been to boot camp?

I have.
I'm not being stubborn at all. I'm right and you're wrong and that's really all there is too it.

Strong is strong.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:16 AM

434 posts, read 248,171 times
Quote:
Strong is strong.
Mostly true.

Getting strong is a good place to start.

2x bw bench isn't required but 6 months of a begineer pl routine milking noob gains gives a good base to build on.

Once strong alot more volume can be shifted with bodyweight stuff and the harder variations can be accessed quicker.

For boot camp long distance runnings I'd guess is the big thing, no gym required. Build up to 4x per week for 150bpm x 1-1.5 hrs once your rhr is in the low 50s switch over to HIT.

Get some proper shoes so you dont mess your legs up.

Running + weights works fine through the begineer gains just eat like a pig on healthy stuff.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:54 PM

Here's some more good resources for the OP, since OP said boot camp, I assume it's Navy, but regardless, any will do:

https://www.navycs.com/navy-fitness-assessment.html

The above link has guidance on the requirements for physical readiness testing needed to pass boot camp. It also has an iphone app, and also how to perform the exercises properly.

Army Basic Training PFT | Military.com

Also cardio as stated before is a must for the 1.5 mile run test. Build up slowly until you can run 4-5 miles nonstop, then maintain that until boot camp. Do sprints once or twice a week also.

Take the advice and guidance of those who have actually been in the military and boot camp.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness