Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 07:31 PM

18,324 posts, read 18,924,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
I think he's aiming for the opposite of the "dad bod".
I figured that however lots of folks just don't gain weight until they are way past 30. most guys never look like chris hemsworth because they won't put in the work nor do they have the genetics for it. the op may be happy with how his body naturally ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 07:58 PM

286 posts, read 261,282 times
True. Watch Naked and Afraid, on discovery. ALL the men lose a lb a day, or more, for 3 weeks. you can try the well proven GOMAD method. that means a gallon of milk a day. Local library can get a copy of Tim Ferris's THE FOUR HOUR BODY, which is FULL of great info

Old 08-02-2015, 10:19 PM

27,537 posts, read 15,971,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
Ummm, I think he is trying to gain weight

Old 08-02-2015, 10:24 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,634,636 times
I think you're worrying too much about it, and worry uses up calories. It does. Try not to think about food as anything but fuel and eat whatever you want, when you want. Then forget about it; do anything to keep your mind off of it. You're lucky; slender men are in short supply these days, and you'll naturally put it on when you stop thinking about it so much (because it really doesn't matter)! and as you age.

One day, you'll think back to this post, and say, "What was I going on about?"

Old 08-02-2015, 10:38 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Ummm, I think he is trying to gain weight
Yeah, because there aren't varying degrees of weight gains and underlying goals that could change the manner of advice given here.

My mistake. Carry on.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:06 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,664,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Why the obsession with bulk, friend? Today's monster pecs are tomorrow's man boobs. Enough 6-packs of beer/soda in your 50's and beyond, and the "6-or-8-pack" holding up your navel will also vanish into fat.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:10 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,664,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceig View Post
I'm 6'1-6'2 and weigh ~150lbs @ 30 years old. For whatever reason, I have such a hard time going above 150lbs. I've tried counting calories and even went on a 4500+ calorie diet which hardly made a difference. I eventually quit that because I was exhausted from constantly eating + paying so much for food and not seeing much of a difference. Just recently, I fasted for a month (sunrise to sunset) and lost about 10lbs. After that, I went back to my regular diet and quickly picked up the weight I had lost, but again have stopped at that magic number of 150lbs.

What is it that stops me from going above 150lbs? Do I need a combination of lifting weights + eating? Can I just do pushups/pullups and consider those as workouts?

There's no mystery to it, you just need to take in more calories, especially before and after your workouts.

I would recommend that you check out "Starting Strength" by Mark Ripptoe and follow it pretty religiously in terms of your workouts. The idea for you is to keep your workouts short and focused.

Beyond that, have a good meal an hour to an hour and a half before you train and pound down some carbs and protein especially after you're done training.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:50 PM

11,645 posts, read 12,854,399 times
Your very tall height may probably be keeping you from gaining weight easily.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:11 AM

756 posts, read 829,240 times
Lightbulb Give It Time:

Quote:
I'm 6'1-6'2 and weigh ~150lbs @ 30 years old. For whatever reason, I have such a hard time going above 150lbs. I've tried counting calories and even went on a 4500+ calorie diet which hardly made a difference. I eventually quit that because I was exhausted from constantly eating + paying so much for food and not seeing much of a difference. Just recently, I fasted for a month (sunrise to sunset) and lost about 10lbs. After that, I went back to my regular diet and quickly picked up the weight I had lost, but again have stopped at that magic number of 150lbs.

What is it that stops me from going above 150lbs? Do I need a combination of lifting weights + eating? Can I just do pushups/pullups and consider those as workouts?
And Don't Fast.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:38 AM

10,290 posts, read 10,535,010 times
Quote:

I was constantly trying to gain weight in high school and college so I understand where you are coming from. I'm almost 6'4" and my goal in high school was to get to 165. In college I was around 166-170. I lifted weights but was never on a serious consistent program. I ate a lot, but often skipped breakfast or lunch. I'm now 60 and was 226 when I weighed myself yesterday. I've lifted weights consistently for the past 21 years. I've started to watch what I eat over the past few years since I've started to put on weight too easily.

My advice is really pretty simple.

1. You must lift heavy. This means most of your sets should be in the range of 5-10 reps until failure. Pushups and pullups are not enough. You need to do squats and deadlifts. Once you hit 10 reps, you need to add weight. Pullups are great but if you can do more than 10, you need a belt that allows you add weights.

2. Never go hungry. Eat breakfast and carry protein bars for when you get hungry and can't eat a regular meal.

3. Don't gain weight for the sake of gaining weight. It doesn't matter what you weigh as long as your waist size stays the same or goes down.

I don't care if I weigh 235 with a 34" waist. I don't want to weigh 215 with a 38" waist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Why the obsession with bulk, friend? Today's monster pecs are tomorrow's man boobs. Enough 6-packs of beer/soda in your 50's and beyond, and the "6-or-8-pack" holding up your navel will also vanish into fat. I, a fellow ectomorph, dream of getting DOWN to 150 (I stand 5'11") and am happily most of the way there. The only truly healthy weight training is that which helps speed recovery from injury/surgery, or that which builds strength. Besides that it's all ego satiation, which is great until "mid-middle age" when everything "goes south." (Ever notice how most champion bodybuilders avoid the camera like the plague after they pass a certain age? I think the terms "tub of lard" and "fat sack o' sh-t" were coined in honor of one of those poor guys. The highlight of lots of folks' high school reunions is seeing how the football stars turned out - karma is nearly always a b-tch for those dudes!)

With a 6'2" frame you ought to be targeting a weight no higher than about 165-170 lbs. Beyond that point we're talking future flab. Just like when you're debating whether or not to pursue a college - or advanced - degree, what you decide now DOES affect where you'll be down the road. What you ought to be is thankful that you have such a hard time gaining weight. Nature did you a big favor!

But why not consult your physician instead of the armchair jocks of C-D? hahaha
Pretty much the opposite of what you say is the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
Your very tall height may probably be keeping you from gaining weight easily.
So tall people don't get fat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness