Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 05:55 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times

Advertisements

I believe there are people who, for whatever reason, probably genetic, have trouble gaining weight no matter what they eat. Recently my 17-year-old son went on a weight gain campaign. He was already a muscular 165lbs but decided he wanted to weigh 180. So he started eating truely ridiculous amounts of food. We didn't count his calories, but he was probably eating double the portions I ate at every meal. And he was lifting regularly with me. He quickly went up to 170 (in about 2 weeks) but then stopped gaining. Six weeks later he still weighed 170. Although he was making strength gains all along, he could not add more weight and his bodyfat percentage stayed about the same (around 13%). After a couple months he gave up and went back to eating normally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 07:37 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
Juram wrote: Out of all the gyms I've gone to I've seen people track the top deadlifts, squats, bench presses, never seen anyone give a damn about how much someone curls.

Now your world is expanding! You can tell your friends you know someone who cares about curls. There is more to life than deadlifts, squats, & bench presses.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:36 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Juram wrote: Out of all the gyms I've gone to I've seen people track the top deadlifts, squats, bench presses, never seen anyone give a damn about how much someone curls.

Now your world is expanding! You can tell your friends you know someone who cares about curls. There is more to life than deadlifts, squats, & bench presses.

I'll get right on that buddy.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:43 AM

Juram wrote: I'll get right on that buddy.

No hurry! Make it a point to do a few extra deadlifts, squats, & bench presses in my honor.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:23 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post

Bench press is an overrated chest exercise (in my opinion). I know it's one of those popular exercises, especially amongst the he-man crowd, but in terms of chest development, it's not the best. But if people enjoy it -- have fun!

The guillotine press actually recruits more pectoral muscle fibers. The bench press uses a lot of deltoid.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:27 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Havent heard anyone brag about how much they can curl since high school. Biceps size, yes.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:51 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Bench press is an overrated chest exercise (in my opinion). I know it's one of those popular exercises, especially amongst the he-man crowd, but in terms of chest development, it's not the best. But if people enjoy it -- have fun!

The guillotine press actually recruits more pectoral muscle fibers. The bench press uses a lot of deltoid.
It just needs to be done properly.

How to Bench Press with the Pecs : BodyRecomposition

Old 08-08-2015, 04:00 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post

Do the incline bench press with dumbbell, touch dumbbells to chest every rep, dont lock out, I promise you'll get a pretty good chest workout.

That said, the barbell bench press is a cornerstone exercise, its a good rough assessment of someone's upper body strength. Ive never seen someone that benched a high amount and wasnt strong in other areas as well.

Its an important consideration for overall strength whereas nobody but old guys in short shorts care about how much someone curls.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:19 PM

For entertainment only: This YMCA Bench Press test uses an 80 lb barbell for men of all ages and bodyweight. The object is to do as many reps as you are capable of doing to see where you stand in your age group. It is more a test of fitness than strength, and the scoring makes no bodyweight distinctions. Take it with a grain of salt.

I got 40 reps on a smith machine then did it again the next day with an 80 lb barbell and got 42 reps.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:14 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
So tall people don't get fat?
Er...no. It's just that a longer body frame would take more time to be "filled" with fat and muscle than a shorter one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness