Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 03:56 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,681 times

Advertisements

Any cosmetic surgery should be disqualified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 04:02 PM

506 posts, read 958,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I love the fitness competitions for the bodies you posted above.

I had wanted to get into this several years ago, but never had the time nor commitment to keep up with it.

Besides the right exercises, diet is super important. You can't eat garbage or stray from 5 mini meals a day of protein, carb and fiber. Also, you really do need a trainer to help you reach your fitness goals and they're not free. I couldn't do it more for financial reasons than anything.
[/quote]

A lot of women in bikini competing are starting to stray away from the 5-6 mini meals a day and move more into iifym or 'flexible dieting' when it comes to prep, or cutting and bulking. I think the former concept is a healthier way of going about shedding the pounds and leaning up for a show or just for losing weight generally speaking since it combines eating foods that you normally eat in moderation and not depriving yourself or too much restriction. Its also better to transition into it once you are done prepping and to maintain without having a crazy rebound or develop binge eating.

The whole notion of eating 100% 'clean' 5-6 mini meals all the time during and off of prep is almost impossible and hard to stick to and those that follow it tend to yoyo diet and never really learn how to get out of that mindset.

I personally eat 2-3 big filling meals a day depending on how I feel, and it satisfies me enough as well as provides me with my macro and micronutrients I need without having to wait 2-3 hours to eat a mini meal. I never feel deprived or a need to graze or snack since my meals are filling enough. And I still have a cookie here and ice cream there as long as it fits into my carbs and fats for the day and I don't over indulge in it. Moderation is key.

As far as a training goes, when I am ready to compete, I would go straight to the big bodybuilding guys to help coach me, and who follows flexible dieting instead of the standard meal plans. Lots of good coaches out there who coach some of the best and will help you improve not only to be stage ready, but make you stronger.

Last edited by Zara Ray; 08-10-2015 at 04:18 PM..

Old 08-10-2015, 04:37 PM

506 posts, read 958,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
They have average physiques in terms of fitness. That is not hard to achieve. They aren't even that muscular - even without steroids it's possible to be bigger and more ripped. What's difficult is being tall enough to be a swimwear model and getting fake boobs and having a pretty face. That's nudie mag territory - not sports. The female athletes I know look just as fit as these women, but without the fake boobs and butt floss and heels - they actually use their muscles for something other than promoting women as nothing but sexual decor for men. Anyone can lift weights every day and look good and starve. But can they finish an Ironman, win any kind of race, do a gymnastics or skating routine? Probably not, unless they happened to come to bikini babe high heel competition from another sport (unlikely any real athlete would want to do that).
I'm not sure what you are trying to get at here. So you are putting down one group of women (bikini/figure competitors) and tearing them down to make yourself feel better because you think what they do is 'wrong' or immoral due to what they have to wear, pose, and conduct themselves on stage? Its apart of female bodybuilding. What you said, sounds kinda sexist and discriminatory to me. Does it make you feel better to judge those women for doing what they want to, and to workout to achieve it? If that's the case, don't get angry at the women, take it up with the judges or promoters of these competitions.

Once again, female bodybuilding isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I don't get what the big deal is. They aren't doing anything illegal like prostitution and it's a fitness competition.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:21 PM

327 posts, read 398,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
Anyone else interested in female bodybuilders? My fav is bikini division. One day I would like to compete also. I was inspired by when I went to a local show in Brooklyn last fall and was blown away about how fit all of the bikini women were. They were fit, lifted weights, had a toned tight body but still looked feminine.

I've been keeping up with a lot of shows this summer and checking out who the winners are and who went pro. I can't wait for the Olympia this September.

Any other women interested in this weightlifting 'lifestyle'.

These women have "issues"….but good for them on their physical health, I guess. Mentally, I would not want to know what they are thinking!

Old 08-10-2015, 11:04 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,436,394 times
Quote:

I guess these women just like maintaining their breasts because they are a feminine trait that women have and regardless of 'losing' them when they become more lean and fit, they still like the look of them being there vs. them being flat. I don't want to criticize or shame them. Most women have a fear of losing their chest size when losing weight.

I agree. When they are really lean, their breasts look more 'balloon' like and prominent, but in off season at a higher bf% they look fine imo. Some women I didn't even know had implants but they look real and natural.
"Bolt ons" don't look good on anyone, even later when they're not as lean as they are when competing. I remember back in the day when female bodybuilding started to take off and the women we saw did not have ridiculous breasts that looked like they were nailed on to their bodies - they had natural, smaller breasts to go with their leaner bodies.

If the judges are the ones who are pressing for these fake boobs, those judges should be removed. It's about physique and muscle tone, not big boobs.

And believe it or not, many bigger busted women are relieved when they lose weight and their breasts get smaller. I am one of them.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:11 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,302 times
It's about what sells. Like it or not, these girls really aren't that muscular. If you want to see bigger muscle, you'll need to look at physique or bodybuilders. These bikini girls have abs because they're so lean, and have T&A. Not much else.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:07 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,532 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you are trying to get at here. So you are putting down one group of women (bikini/figure competitors) and tearing them down to make yourself feel better because you think what they do is 'wrong' or immoral due to what they have to wear, pose, and conduct themselves on stage? Its apart of female bodybuilding. What you said, sounds kinda sexist and discriminatory to me. Does it make you feel better to judge those women for doing what they want to, and to workout to achieve it? If that's the case, don't get angry at the women, take it up with the judges or promoters of these competitions.

Once again, female bodybuilding isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I don't get what the big deal is. They aren't doing anything illegal like prostitution and it's a fitness competition.
I was responding to an assertion that these women are athletes of some type, versus beauty pageant contestants or swimsuit models. If these are athletes then modelling and competing in pageants is also a sport. And I do think what they are doing is wrong in the sense that it is one more contribution to the culture of an impossible ideal of beauty that is rampant in the media. Sort of like airbrushed models with stick legs.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:57 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,920,840 times
All a model is , is a walking Mannequin /clothes horse for the focus of showing off clothing, not their figure.
Merely starving one's self into unhealthy weight, to satisfy some stereo type, is not a sport.
Not a one of those girls would survive in a serious event ,compared to those that weight train, and eat healthy.
If a girl wants larger breasts ,that's her business , and it doesn't effect her health nor is it a bad example for the younger generations .
She's warm female human being that wants affection and to please a man she loves, I don't fault her.
Now a woman that has given up her woman hood to be more like a man ,that's her call in todays society, it's deceiving and role reversal latent with problems She choose.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:52 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I was responding to an assertion that these women are athletes of some type, versus beauty pageant contestants or swimsuit models. If these are athletes then modelling and competing in pageants is also a sport.
Your logic is wrong though. There are many things that require a lot of athleticism (competitive cheerleading, figure skating...etc) but are not sports, and then you have things like golf, which is a sport but requires basically zero athleticism.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:39 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,302 times
Golf requires athleticism. In fact, Tiger Woods has been thought of as one of the top athletes for quite some time. I also disagree that figure skating isn't a sport (bodybuilding too -- but that doesn't include bikini competitors). Not sure about cheerleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness