Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 08:46 PM

424 posts, read 426,545 times

Advertisements

^^^^^^YW!

Sounds like you're on track--pardon the pun. You're already familiar with the 3 different types of runs, and are doing speed-work. You're good to go, bro. Enjoy, don't forget to take days off, and also when you do those long slow runs, well, go slow! Most runners don't go fast enough during their interval training--speed work--and then go too fast on their long slow days.

Oh...a helpful rule of thumb: take one of your days off per week the day AFTER you do oyur speedwork!

Good luck and have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 10:22 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,227,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Southpaw View Post
^^^^^^YW!

Sounds like you're on track--pardon the pun. You're already familiar with the 3 different types of runs, and are doing speed-work. You're good to go, bro. Enjoy, don't forget to take days off, and also when you do those long slow runs, well, go slow! Most runners don't go fast enough during their interval training--speed work--and then go too fast on their long slow days.

Oh...a helpful rule of thumb: take one of your days off per week the day AFTER you do oyur speedwork!

Good luck and have fun!
Yup...I was one of those runners. I keep my speed work usually less than 3 miles now (at a 7:45-8 min mile) ...since I've started that my slow runs are now 9:30-10:05 minute pace...with no tiring out. I actually have to stop myself from going further than what my training schedule says for the week.

Throw in some yoga (I may have already contributed that, I'm exhausted today) and crosstraining (weights and elliptical,) too.

And yes!! Take days off!!! And don't feel guilty about it

Old 09-11-2015, 11:07 AM

221 posts, read 315,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
Yup...I was one of those runners. I keep my speed work usually less than 3 miles now (at a 7:45-8 min mile) ...since I've started that my slow runs are now 9:30-10:05 minute pace...with no tiring out. I actually have to stop myself from going further than what my training schedule says for the week.

Throw in some yoga (I may have already contributed that, I'm exhausted today) and crosstraining (weights and elliptical,) too.

And yes!! Take days off!!! And don't feel guilty about it
More good advice, thank you!

I always feel guilty about taking days off, even though my brain totally understands that I need it! Sometimes I have to calm my motivation down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness