Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 12:09 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I've tried numerous times after friends recommended that I go low carb. They say "give it some time". I gave it about three months last time and found that 1) I have low energy and drag a** to the point where it affects my performance at work. 2) My results aren't any better than going on a low calorie (but not low carb diet). I was reading a book called "Power Eating" which recommends that those who exercise regularly and lift weights to eat 70% carbohydrates. I'm about ready to try that. The book claims that low carb works great for 20% of the population but not-so-great for some people. Could some of us just be better suited to higher carb diets?
If you're doing it right, you shouldn't have to "give it some time". You'd see weight loss within the first week, most of it water-weight.

If low-calorie works for you, stick with what works. However, 70% carbs sounds like too much; carbs are fattening, especially in excess, and especially processed carbs (sugar, white rice, white bread, and potatoes go in that category, too--root veggies are naturally higher in sugar), because they provoke insulin secretion, and insulin causes the body to hold onto fat. So while your body may need carbs, too many, or the wrong kind, can set you back. Seek moderation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 12:13 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have hashimotos.

If you google thyroid and low carb, tons of results will jump into your face.

I had no clue, I was on low carb, felt crappy and went to a regular check up and my endocrinologist said we need to double the meds. I said "could it be from the low carb diet?" She said "OMG, don't do that!!!" I started eating normal again and guess what - my hormon levels got much better.

My girlfriend's sister has Hashimoto's and the doctors were forever tinkering around with her doses, she was either too high or too low, just up and down for a period of years, the only constant is that she has been putting on weight, year in and year out.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:13 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have hashimotos.

If you google thyroid and low carb, tons of results will jump into your face.

I had no clue, I was on low carb, felt crappy and went to a regular check up and my endocrinologist said we need to double the meds. I said "could it be from the low carb diet?" She said "OMG, don't do that!!!" I started eating normal again and guess what - my hormon levels got much better.
This is really interesting, too. I'd like to know more about why your endo said not to do a low-carb diet. I have Hashimoto's, too, but I think it's a much milder form than some people have, who struggle with almost debilitating symptoms. Thanks for sharing this. I'm always willing to learn.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:17 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you're doing it right, you shouldn't have to "give it some time". You'd see weight loss within the first week, most of it water-weight.
yes, but you should give it some time because the body takes several weeks to fully adjust to the new way of food intake.

If you drastically cut back on carbohydrates, the body needs to shift to the other energy source… fat, which either comes from your diet or your body fat stores.

It can take a few days for the body to adapt to burning primarily fat instead of carbs, during which you will probably feel a little under the weather.

This is called the “low carb flu†and happens to most people.

Full adaptation can take several weeks.

So it’s important to be patient and be strict on your diet in the beginning so that this metabolic adaptation can take place.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:19 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
This is really interesting, too. I'd like to know more about why your endo said not to do a low-carb diet. I have Hashimoto's, too, but I think it's a much milder form than some people have, who struggle with almost debilitating symptoms. Thanks for sharing this. I'm always willing to learn.
My thyroid is not that bad, but my symptoms are very strong. Apparently some people have hardly any symptoms and their levels are completely out of wack. I have the lowest dosage on medicine (30 mg) but horrible symptoms with nasty hair loss, etc. because my blood work is borderline good - hashimoto's it took years to figure out what I have.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:23 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,288 times
They don't work very well for me. I lose weight the first couple of weeks and have more energy but I'm overly hungry and irritable. I've noticed that I actually tend to lose weight faster when I eat as many carbs as I want but eat less cals and work out. I've always done better weight wise and energy wise when I don't cut out carbs.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:36 PM

96 posts, read 78,439 times
I can't do low-carb. It just doesn't work for me. Not only do I like carbs too much to give them up, but I function better when I'm not cutting them out of my diet.

My doc isn't overly concerned, since I eat a fairly balanced diet. And, any bread carbs I eat are 100% whole wheat/100%whole grain. I'm kinda fanatical about that LOL. And I track my fruit/veggie intake to make sure I'm getting enough of those too.

I know plenty of people who are low carb and swear by it. Good for them. As long as it isn't interfering with my life, have at it. Just don't take away my bread!!

Old 08-18-2015, 12:44 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Low carb does not work for me either. I cannot work out to my max capacity. I am sluggish and just do not feel all that great. Also, I actually enjoy food, all kids. Going low carb is a real drag.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:45 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:

If low-calorie works for you, stick with what works. However, 70% carbs sounds like too much; carbs are fattening, especially in excess, and especially processed carbs (sugar, white rice, white bread, and potatoes go in that category, too--root veggies are naturally higher in sugar), because they provoke insulin secretion, and insulin causes the body to hold onto fat. So while your body may need carbs, too many, or the wrong kind, can set you back. Seek moderation.
Almost all food is fattening in excess.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:00 PM

233 posts, read 417,891 times
The best advice that I've heard about dieting is "It's not 40% eating and 60% exercise, it's 100% eating and 100% exercise". If you don't do both all the way, it won't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness