U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 04:38 PM

424 posts, read 344,197 times

Advertisements

So I was talking to one of my students the other day in the gym as he was getting ready to do some speed walking on the treadmill. That's right--race walking, not power walking. But like those guys you see once in awhile in Track and Field event, where they race various distances, just like their runner counterparts.

turns out this kid competed in speed walking in high school;, I think he did the 1500M. And I was very surprised to hear how fast those guys go. I was thinking, if I had to guess, as my student asked me to, what a fast college-level race walker can do a mile in. I guessed about 10 or 11 minutes.

Wrong! Turns out is is almost half that. I think the elite race walkers are doing about six-minute miles, which just amazes me. A good portion of adult recreational runners don't even run that fast!

So this kid gets on the treadmill and race walk at 6 mph. Which is a 10-minute mile. And he got up to 8 mph. Race walking--that is, one foot always on the ground.

I had to try it. The fastest I could speed walk was about 5.5. to 5.7 mph, but I can only hold that speed for a couple minutes. I could walk at 5 mph (a 12-minute mile) for quite a whiile; maybe 15 minutes.

But what I noticed is that walking 5 mph is harder than jogging it. it also seems to be a better workout. Probably because I'm using some different muscles from when I run--like the glutes.

So I'm kind of hooked on this race walking. I'm gonna practice it on the treadmill and see how fast I can do a mile. I'm shooting for being able to walk at 6 mph for twenty minutes. At maybe a 3% incline. I think this would be an awesome workout. And it would help my with my turnover (rate of footstrike_ for running. Many runners have too slow of a turnover--they over stride .Especially women. It should be about 170-180 per minute.

Anybody else ever try race walking? Or see how fast you could go on the treadmill? How fast? Do you agree it is an intellect cross-train? I have to do some research, but I think race walking at a high speed, like 6 mph burns more cals than jogging the same speed. As you are relying on total self-propulsion, and not using momentum as in running when you get to push-off and lunge forward with one foot off the ground.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 05:16 PM

18,782 posts, read 15,397,891 times
To each his own, but for me the idea of speed walking is like trying to drive on the interstate in first gear. The good Lord gave you the ability to run for a reason.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:35 PM

45 posts, read 69,874 times
Race walking also intrigues me.

Fast fitness walking is my main source of daily cardio and really enjoy it, plus there is very low impact. I have been researching race walking and plan on practicing it soon.

Please keep us updated on your progress and good luck to you!

Old 09-13-2015, 06:35 PM

14,172 posts, read 20,471,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
To each his own, but for me the idea of speed walking is like trying to drive on the interstate in first gear. The good Lord gave you the ability to run for a reason.
Pretty much the way I see it. I think cardio/running is boring as all hell and do as little as possible, and speed walking sounds even worse.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:56 PM

16,932 posts, read 14,289,451 times
I tried it, but it just isn't my pace. Don't get me wrong, I do love walking, so I can stop and smell the roses, enjoy a scenery.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:41 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,321,732 times
As a runner, I have a lot of respect for those guys in the Olympics that walk a 6:00 mile. That's pretty insane to walk that fast without running.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:02 PM

35,484 posts, read 64,741,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Southpaw View Post
Anybody else ever try race walking?
I love it! I've been racewalking for about 10 years, and while I'm not elite and never will be (nor do I care, LOL), I can average about 5.5 mph in a short (5K or less) race. The fastest I've managed on the treadmill is about 7 mph, but couldn't sustain that for too awfully long.

I haven't done any racewalking in about 6 months, though, because of a chronic knee injury that I'm rehabbing (again). My top speed right now is about 3 mph. Argh ...

Yeah, sometimes you look like a dweeb, but who cares? It's a lot of fun, I've met a lot of great people in the racewalk clubs I've been involved with. You do have to think about what you're doing at first to move that quickly while keeping one foot in contact with the ground at all times, but after some practice, and after getting up to speed, it becomes second nature. I have short legs and a short stride, so that helped.

This is a great website for racewalking info:

Racewalk.com

Old 09-14-2015, 01:28 PM

424 posts, read 344,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I love it! I've been racewalking for about 10 years, and while I'm not elite and never will be (nor do I care, LOL), I can average about 5.5 mph in a short (5K or less) race. The fastest I've managed on the treadmill is about 7 mph, but couldn't sustain that for too awfully long.

I haven't done any racewalking in about 6 months, though, because of a chronic knee injury that I'm rehabbing (again). My top speed right now is about 3 mph. Argh ...

Yeah, sometimes you look like a dweeb, but who cares? It's a lot of fun, I've met a lot of great people in the racewalk clubs I've been involved with. You do have to think about what you're doing at first to move that quickly while keeping one foot in contact with the ground at all times, but after some practice, and after getting up to speed, it becomes second nature. I have short legs and a short stride, so that helped.

This is a great website for racewalking info:

Racewalk.com
Wow! A 5.5 mph walking pace for three miles is awesome.I would like to work-up to that. I can do a 5.5 mph speed-walk right now, but only for about ten or twelve minutes.

And 7 mph is flat-out flying. If you can walk that for a mile you're doing a 9:30 mile--if my quick math here is correct. Most adult recreational runners cannot even average that pace for anything over a 5K. And sometimes not even that.

How tall are you? For a woman I am guessing you have pretty long legs to walk that fast. I'm just hair under 6'-2".

Thanks for the link--it's a great one. I could not help but notice, dog that I am, that those women on the front page all have incredible bodies. Wow. One ting for sure, something about race walking "cuts" and sculpts the bod as much as running--if not more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness