Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 08:09 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Yes, He DID. He ASKED: "Is it Time to Start Losing Weight?". THAT is a direct question, asking for advice on whether or not he should lose weight.

sheesh.

Well, dear - FIVE PAGES now, and he hasn't bothered to come back - speaks for itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 10:08 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingtitan View Post
Height:5'7
Weight:230lbs
Waist:38 inches
yes it's time. you are guaranteed to continue gaining as you get older and your metabolism slows down.

I'm slightly bigger than you are at 50 but when I was 23 I had a 34 waist and weighed about 210.

I'm trying to lose weight but it's a little easier if you do it younger.

with your size, your body mass index (BMI) is 35 and that is obese, you should be less than 180 pounds.

cut out soda, alcohol, bread and sugar and see how that goes for you.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:16 AM

15 posts, read 17,771 times
Almost forgot I posted this, thanks for the advice guys.

The brutal honesty is better then being lied too.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:41 PM

424 posts, read 430,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingtitan View Post
Almost forgot I posted this, thanks for the advice guys.

The brutal honesty is better then being lied too.

Glad to see you came back and your Op was not a troll post after all!

And you are right, honesty is a good thing when it can help somebody become motivated enough to improve their quality of life.

This is something that a lot of those overly-politically correct people just don't seem to understand. And it's the reason I have a big problem with some of them. Good lord, do you know that in American we now have actual Little League baseball where they don't keep score? Or standings? Wow. Seems the powers that be are worried that losing or being in last place in the league standings might emotionally traumatize the little darlings.

Yeah..and I'm sure this false feeling that they are as good as anybody else and so they don't have to work on improvement is going to serve them very well later on in life.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:59 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,424,560 times
All this fat shaming. What about body acceptance?

If a woman had posted the same style pic and got these responses, people would of lost their mind.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:10 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
If a woman had posted the same style pic and got these responses, people would of lost their mind.
This was my thought too. Look through some past threads about women asking about needing to lose weight and you'd be surprised just how night-and-day it really is. You've got people on this thread calling the OP disgusting, while the mere suggestion of truly "needing" weight loss is practically a hate crime on the other threads.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:35 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
All this fat shaming. What about body acceptance?

In another thread there was this female poster who posted a pic of herself asking if she was obese at her height. She was wearing black clothes that hid her 'actual' size. If she wore a bikini or something more revealing then it would have shown a more realistic image of her instead of hiding her extra weight. Out of respect I never mentioned that and did not want to call her obese in front of other posters but clearly she was above her ideal weight.

But yes there seems to be a double standard when we post honest responses to overweight genders.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:49 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Theres not a "double standard" at all.

Women are designed by nature to pack on weight.

Men are not.

Women who are curvy look "normal" and attractive.

Men who are curvy look fat.

This is because a mans natural body fat is much, much lower than a womans, no matter how much they weigh.

Men have more muscle bulk from birth so should find it harder to get fat in the first place, harder to stay fat than your average woman who can put on weight very easily and traditionally are the ones preparing the food 3 times daily at least - which leads to higher exposure to food, more temptation, potential to nibble and gain without even noticing.

So, considering we are genetically different, and socially different, you cant claim double standard.

Its like comparing a lion to an emu.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
An MD would consider the OP to be obese, a part of the 70% of US adults who are overweight/obese.

If the OP is not inclined to lose weight, may I suggest a larger size pant for comfort and appearance.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:44 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
Yes, Yes Yes.

If not for you, then for your adoring public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness