Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 08:59 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times

Advertisements

I absolutely cannot do Zumba. i was horrible when 'step aerobics' was popular and could never remember the moves so I know Zumba probably wouldn't be any better for me!

I did take a choreographed 'kickboxing' class that seemed a bit easier to get the hang of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 06:42 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I tried Zumba for 10 weeks, but generally left feeling very frustrated. We didn't even have the same instructor each week, and each had his/her own set of songs and moves. Some of the routines were entirely too complicated to follow along. I asked if there ever sessions for newbies to just learn the moves, and was told "Oh, that's a good idea!" (duh!) but that's as far as it went.
Ha! Well, that's what I was asking... Is it them or me??? You can't properly call them "instructors" if they never instruct you how to do it; even "leaders" is a stretch? They're basically doing their thing, and you're welcome to try to imitate them... And good luck!

I'm sure doing the same routines over and over again gets boring but, again, is it about them or us?

Old 09-29-2015, 12:35 PM

291 posts, read 397,671 times
I have been doing zumba for the past few years and love it. I started like you - showed up one day not 100% sure what to expect... Stayed in the back of the room and tried my best to follow the leader and get all the cues down. But after that first hour, i was hooked. Probably took me ~3 months to truly learn most of the moves with 1-2 classes/week. Did i have frustrating classes/songs/routines? Yup! Still do actually, lol. But the workout is completely worth it! IMO, far more enjoyable than running/swimming. At the zumba classes i go to, it's more of a 'family' feeling - very easy to talk to anyone in the class, make new friends, etc. That helps with the overall positive experience i gain from it.

For me, i really enjoy the variation in music zumba provides. My class, we do all sorts of different types of songs, styles, etc. I have tried hip hop dance classes and i really did not like learning only 30 seconds of a song over an hour. That bored me to death. I prefer variation and more repetitive moves that make me feel good vs. learning a 30 sec routine. I was far more frustrated learning the 30 sec routines and always left feeling defeated.

I'm surprised no one mentioned youtube. The amount of zumba & dance fitness videos on youtube is mind blowing - from easy, to moderate, to insane workouts. And with lots of variation, different types of music and different focuses (upper body, lower body, basic cardio, etc). Great for practicing and getting a great workout at home!

All the zumba instructors i know of are extremely friendly and would be completely open to showing you some of the moves on the side. Usually they were former students turned instructors. So they "get it."

Stick with it! It a great way to exercise and have some fun away from your usual routine and responsibilities!

Old 09-29-2015, 12:43 PM

I've been doing it every time it's offered for two weeks now... Hooked! Although I still can't get those sexy moves down (maybe it's hormonal; most things are at my age), I'm sweating and burning calories. Also, I have to concentrate so intently just to keep up halfway that the hour whizzes by. Although I'm not able to memorize the choreography - how do dancers do that? - I catch on pretty quickly and get most of it. Definitely one of the best exercises ever, and I'm one who has to really be having fun in order to keep it up. My only complaint: music too loud (my cochlea). Thanks, everyone!

Old 09-29-2015, 01:16 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I've been doing it every time it's offered for two weeks now... Hooked! Although I still can't get those sexy moves down (maybe it's hormonal; most things are at my age), I'm sweating and burning calories. Also, I have to concentrate so intently just to keep up halfway that the hour whizzes by. Although I'm not able to memorize the choreography - how do dancers do that? - I catch on pretty quickly and get most of it. Definitely one of the best exercises ever, and I'm one who has to really be having fun in order to keep it up. My only complaint: music too loud (my cochlea). Thanks, everyone!
At my classes at the Y they provide ear plugs for those who need them.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:34 AM

714 posts, read 747,446 times
I have never done Zumba but I've been at the gym shooting hoops many times while it's going on. Seems that no one is fully with the teachers the whole way and the majority are in the same boat as the OP. I've seen a couple of teachers that would call someone out who was struggling and try to keep them involved, I also remember a teacher that'd just walk in, put her music on and go. No saying hello or letting people know it's about to start or anything. Not a great approach, especially when the majority of students are beginners.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:40 AM

That describes these classes perfectly. As I say, they're free, so I can't really complain! But it's almost like they're in their own little world... Just didn't know if that was "typical" of Zumba or not...

Ear plugs are a good idea; I've been stuffing toilet paper in my ears. I predict there will be lots of deaf Zumba teachers in 10-20 years, like all the deaf old rock-and-rollers today...

Last edited by otterhere; 09-30-2015 at 09:14 AM..

Old 09-30-2015, 03:43 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times
It's not just you. I was actually good at Zumba to the point I've been dragged to the front by instructors a few times. However I took a class last week and looked like the clumsy dork. The instructor was doing moves I've never seen in any class I've taken. Most instructors stuck to the latin and aerobic steps in it. This one I have no idea where she was going and gave very little direction on it also.

I wasn't the only one tripped up either, a few others were lost and we just laughed it off.

I agree with others try it out at home first. I have the Zumba games for Xbox, so I used those to start off.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:36 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
I'm bumping this up. I have a free Silver Sneakers membership to a gym, thanks to Medicare. So I finally joined and started going. As of right now, I'm just taking the Zumba classes four nights per week, and two of those nights are two classes. I can feel it in my body when I get home, and hope to start taking other classes and using the machines at a later date, after I get the pain under control from the osteoarthritis and fused thumb in my left hand.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:12 PM

645 posts, read 750,448 times
i been doing zumba as part of my workout for years...it was hard to get the moves down at first...but you learn...its so fun and an amazing workout....it works out every part of your body.....you should buy the videos to practice at home so you wont feel totally lost in class.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness