Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:15 AM

4,560 posts, read 5,416,094 times

Advertisements

I just set a personal record in the 5 mile run. So I guess this means that today, I am in the best shape of my life when it comes to 5 mile cardio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I just set a personal record in the 5 mile run. So I guess this means that today, I am in the best shape of my life when it comes to 5 mile cardio.
Edit: I ran 7 miles. NOT 5.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:18 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingtitan View Post
What is the best and worst shape you have ever been.

I need some motivation from my previous thread and was thinking what your guys fitness past and future is.
Worst shape I was in was about 6 years ago. Late 30s, 40 pounds overweight, not active, and all my numbers were on the cusp of "high." Had some medical issues that ended up sidelining me for nearly a year.

Best shape was probably earlier this year, when I was down to my Highschool weight and (almost, lol) 6 pack abs.

I'm about ten pounds heavier than that now (allowed unsaturated fats back into my diet: avocado, nuts etc), but still in the best shape of my adult life. About to do a "cut" again to see if I can get completely ripped by my 45th birthday in February. This is just a personal challenge though, not something I aspire to year round, or feel is necessary to be healthy.

Working out is 20% of it. What you put in your mouth (and don't) is more important than anything else you will ever do. There are all kinds of different paths you can take here. Don't be in a hurry. It took me a few years of hard work and experimentation to find out what worked best for me. I actually found the process fun, since it was a science experiment on myself more or less.

A negative attitude will see plateaus instead, which makes many people give up. So having a positive attitude, and finding more than one metric (for instance weight) to go by is extremely important. Your weight is just one piece of the puzzle, and ultimately not that important.

Good luck.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:24 AM

714 posts, read 747,446 times
Best was high school. 3 sport athlete, still carried fat but not in excess at all.

Best since HS was when I was 21. My friend's stepdad bought him a nice house with a pool in the town our college was in. I knew I was going to be living in this place and had time to prepare, not to mention I lived one block away from the rec center/gym that was included in tuition. Stopped eating fast food entirely, no cheating. Only other thing I really tried to avoid was saturated fat. I would commit to staying under 40%DV and I lost fat/gained muscle quickly and I just played basketball 2-3x per week and worked out 3 or 4 nights/week for 30 minutes or so. Got an awesome gf soon after getting in shape, which made the whole pool thing a waste because she lived in another town an hour or so away, lol.

Worst shape was within the last year. All stemmed from moving from my hometown to Seattle, where the food is top notch, unlike anything I'd experienced. I also worked a retail job, and, with traffic like there is in Seattle I couldn't get a routine going that included the gym. I eventually started eating delicious meals 2-3 times a day without working out at all and put on lots of weight. I blame Yakisoba noodles as the main culprit, along with my inexcusable laziness. Then I moved to Utah and injured my back playing basketball after work on the 3rd day at my new job, couldn't even walk totally upright for a month.

After staying close to the same for the last year, I finally got some momentum going. I went to my hometown for their gigantic basketball tournament this summer and KILLED it. I was scoring over half of my team's points, lead every game in scoring (both teams), all while running into old friends that would all mention my weight gain (it is so profound--205 lb to 275 lb, maybe more, with 50 or so pounds being added in the last ~3 years). I thought for the whole next week about how I kicked ass while grossly overweight, playing in 105 degree weather made worse by the blacktop. What if I dropped 30 pounds of fat? I'd dominate with some energy to spare!

Now I go to the gym before work and lift every morning because going late made workouts difficult. I sometimes go again after work for a cardio set of about 45 minutes on a bike/elliptical. I want to make the 2-a-days happen at least 3x per week. I really don't have many time obligations outside of work, so I figure I'll just become a gym rat and see what happens.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:05 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times
Worst shape - 9 years ago. Had numerous knee problems that resulted in surgery with 2 torn meniscus. Was also in a failed marriage, so to add to this I was depressed. Packed on weight and was close to 200 lbs.

Best shape - Probably about 13 years ago. Had washboard abs and people thought I was a personal trainer all the time. However my endurance was probably crap. Was doing a lot of kickboxing and boxing at the time.

I got back to the best shape about 2 1/2 years ago, but then a chain of stress for a year and a half and working 80-90 hours a week happened. I'm now in the process of getting there again. Have 25-30 lbs left to go.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:36 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,084 times
Worst: At the start of high school. I was overweight and I could barely do the mile in PE Class.

Best would probably be when I first got into boxing about three years ago. My endurance shot up with the intense cardio workouts, and I had a thick chest and shoulders along with a six pack. I also won my first fight by knocking out my opponent.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:11 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,136 times
I've always worked out ate organic diet but I think by far at 52 I'm in best yet! ...I feel great!

Old 10-21-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
I've always worked out ate organic diet but I think by far at 52 I'm in best yet! ...I feel great!
Awesome. That is why you look 32.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:52 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Awesome. That is why you look 32.

Thanks..

Old 10-21-2015, 01:35 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
The worst shape I've ever been in is NOW,

the best was about 10 years ago>>>hubba hubba
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness