Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 04:11 AM

2,606 posts, read 2,685,902 times

Advertisements

I want to listen to my body so I am not working against it. I tend to be tired, have weird sleeping pattern & am not happy with how my body is functioning from weight point & from energy perspective. I have read enough about getting enough sleep & bla bla bla but if my body doesn't want to sleep or workout there isn't much I can do.

any tips in understanding/listening to body? and where do I go from there?

One thing I noticed this week is that I get very sleepy and tired when I get home from work. My first instinct is to lay in my bed (give my back/body some rest) while I catch up on facebook or watch something or surf net. This is around 7pm. If I follow this natural body calling, then after 1-2 hours by 9:30pm I am energized and I jump off the bed and ready to tackle house hold task. I can stay up well pass midnight if I give myself this after work rest. Now i am sleeping late, waking up is hard & cycle continues. If I push myself not to rest after work then I am low on energy, get very little down & even then sometimes I still have hard time sleeping. While i was dying for rest at 7-10pm, I find myself wide awake 11-2am. This is messed up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 09:48 AM

4,528 posts, read 5,325,679 times
1. What are your eating habits? Breakfast, lunch, dinner?

2. How often do you exercise? At what intensity levels?

The only way to REALLY be in tune with your body is through years of exercise, eating right and IMO some type of meditative movement like taiji or yoga (even meditation). Most people mistakenly think they are "listening to their bodies" when they feel lazy and dont want to workout.

IMO, you need to immediately create better sleeping habits/patterns by getting at LEAST 9 hours of sleep per night. You also need to eat right and really workout at high intensity levels while tracking your workouts.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:54 AM

17,462 posts, read 38,859,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I want to listen to my body so I am not working against it. I tend to be tired, have weird sleeping pattern & am not happy with how my body is functioning from weight point & from energy perspective. I have read enough about getting enough sleep & bla bla bla but if my body doesn't want to sleep or workout there isn't much I can do.

One thing I noticed this week is that I get very sleepy and tired when I get home from work. My first instinct is to lay in my bed (give my back/body some rest) while I catch up on facebook or watch something or surf net. This is around 7pm. If I follow this natural body calling, then after 1-2 hours by 9:30pm I am energized and I jump off the bed and ready to tackle house hold task. I can stay up well pass midnight if I give myself this after work rest. Now i am sleeping late, waking up is hard & cycle continues. If I push myself not to rest after work then I am low on energy, get very little down & even then sometimes I still have hard time sleeping. While i was dying for rest at 7-10pm, I find myself wide awake 11-2am. This is messed up
If there is any way you can exercise in the a.m. or at least work it in on your lunch hour, I think that would be best for you. That way at night you can rest or go to bed early. I think you are working against your natural circadian rhythm. Since I don't have to work outside the home, I sleep late (disturbed sleep patterns like you) exercise fairly early in the day with an occasional evening dance class. That way at night I can just relax. Exercising at night can keep you too wound up to sleep. Try experimenting with your workout times and see what happens.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:05 AM

I am starting at ground zero, blank canvas. I am in the process of changing my non existing exercise habit and diet plan.I want to understand my body so I can optimize best time to exercise, best time to work, best time to relax....

How do I find that? For example I tried working out first thing in morning for while. It was easy to maintain schedule but I found myself tired n hungry rest of the day vs. When I workout after work, I go to sleep soon after and wake up hungry. The sleep right after workout helps much more that staying awake all day. Stuff like that I am trying to learn

Old 10-08-2015, 11:46 AM

14,561 posts, read 22,965,482 times
What are your goals? What are you trying to accomplish?

Old 10-08-2015, 01:28 PM

Be efficient, get more out of my day

Old 10-08-2015, 01:50 PM

77 posts, read 73,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post

To get yourself to listen to your body, you need to treat it well. Look t it as kinda like a personal relationship. Treat it nice and it will talk to you. IN volumes! LOL--like a woman.

To carry the woman analogy farther, it also likes to be pampered and respected and adored and have time spent with it. This means....yes! The "E" word: Exercise. Eating Clean. Purging it of all toxins. The better you take care of your body and engage it in exercise the more it will "communicate" with you.

An avid, if not obsessive runner and exercise freak, I have gotten so in touch with my body that I don't need any of those heart rate tracker or personal fitness monitors. I can tell, within a few beats always what my HR is, what my fitness level is. My optimal weight, how good the food is I eat, you name it. I have sat down at the VA (I'm a former Navy SEAL) and before the nurse does my vitals I will predict what they're gonna be, like "BP is about 116 over 78. HR is around 73, temp is about 98.2 and 02 Sat should be 100%.

I have amazed them many times with my accuracy. LOL.

So go for it, man. Begin some cardio, clean-up your diet, If you been eating crap for a while you might wanna do a detox thing over the weekend. (don't pay the big $$ for the kits though, you don't need 'em. Green tea and water and fruit, and some soup is all ya need. And a good sweat every day for about three days, like a sauna.)

Do this and get ready to listen to your body talking to you all the time. Your new best friends! LOL

Old 10-08-2015, 06:17 PM

77 posts, read 73,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
What are your goals? What are you trying to accomplish?

just curious about your pm?

who's south paw?

You have me confused with someone else--I'm a 1st timer here.

but thanks for the welcome. And ftr I'm a righty.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:33 PM

18,793 posts, read 27,223,935 times
keraT, your body will never want to exercise and always want to have rest.
Part of you restless nights is you go active right before sleep time. But hey, maybe you an owl, so go exercise then. Problem you'll create is - restless nights as exercise dopes body and it does not want to go to sleep thereafter.
Then, as the result, you have to struggle with "Normal" work hours.
I'd say, you either change your job so that it accommodates your owl nature or, train your body into becoming a lark. 3-4 weeks. Establish regorous schedule, and turn yourself into a lark.
Do you think I wanted to start going to the gym at 5 am? Had no choice. GOT USED to it.
Your body should do whatever you tell it to. You sort of listening to the wrong voice.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:40 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,965,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity_Boy View Post
just curious about your pm?

who's south paw?

You have me confused with someone else--I'm a 1st timer here.

but thanks for the welcome. And ftr I'm a righty.
It wasn't a DM, it was a rep comment, Southpaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness