Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 05:54 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,923,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
I notice girls talking about lifting as if it's "on fleek".

popularized by social media?

I dunno, seems like a lack of imagination when people have to follow the latest trend.

I think this lifting has turned quite a number of girls too masculine, i.e. built upper body as opposed to curves in all the right places.

JMO. More power to you if this is your thing.
At the risk of sounding a little nasty...

I think it's amusing that so many people assume people who pursue weight training are a bunch of mindless meatheads or butch women. They need to read posts like this. "On fleek" has got to be one of the most idiotic things I've read all month. I think I actually lost half an IQ point reading this post. I'll get it back and more in the weight room tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 06:34 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,491,009 times
Quote:

I dunno, seems like a lack of imagination when people have to follow the latest trend.

I think this lifting has turned quite a number of girls too masculine, i.e. built upper body as opposed to curves in all the right places.

Unless you're taking steroids and are into body building as a sport, all weight lifting does for a woman is tone her, firm her up, build a bit of muscle, and increase her metabolism. It emphasizes curves and doesn't take them away. It's hard to have shapely calves, for example, if you don't work out with weights. It's hard to keep your arms from getting to be old lady arms unless you work out with weights.

It takes testosterone to bulk up. Women have very little testosterone.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:45 PM

607 posts, read 599,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
The women who squat at my gym still look like ladies, and the squatting has accentuated their curves. I think you're thinking of bodybuilding women, who most women will never look like unless they dedicate themselves to lifting heavy.

Although I'm a guy I still say more women need to lift. Cardio alone did little for my physique when I was an overweight blob. Adding in lifting along with cardio is when I got to a healthy weight.
Agreed - lifting is what really started to change my body shape. I lift heavy (well, getting back into it after some medical issues the past 1.5 years), and I love how strong and capable and just all-around awesome it makes me feel. Cardio is good, too, but lifting is what really, truly changes ones physique.

Also, to the OP, regarding the comment that you think it makes women look "too masculine:" women who lift are too busy being fierce and kicking butt to care what random men think their bodies looks like.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:46 PM

607 posts, read 599,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
At the risk of sounding a little nasty...

I think it's amusing that so many people assume people who pursue weight training are a bunch of mindless meatheads or butch women. They need to read posts like this. "On fleek" has got to be one of the most idiotic things I've read all month. I think I actually lost half an IQ point reading this post. I'll get it back and more in the weight room tomorrow.
I can't stand the term "on fleek." It makes me want to stab things.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:47 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,659,096 times
Quote:

Oh, its been going on for a couple years now.

Weightlifting is not a new thing for women, there's just far less of a stigma attached to it than at times in the past. There used to be a stigma for men as well, that lifting weights would make you bulky and reduce your athleticism, that it was mostly gay men who lifted weights, all sorts of stuff. There were women's gyms for weightlifting going as far back as the 20s. Women lifting weights was a staple of the physical culture movement of the 20 and 30s, led by people like Bernarr MacFadden. Sylvester Stallone's mom ran a gym specifically for women weightlifter's back in the 1940's. It was never mainstream like it is today but there was a fair amount of women that got into it for better health and fitness. The 80s is where women lifting weights really took off and hasn't slowed down since especially with the advent of the mega-gym's.

Last edited by Juram; 10-26-2015 at 06:58 PM..

Old 10-26-2015, 07:02 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,782,627 times
Quote:

I lifted weights in college, and returned to it about 4 years ago. I dont give a hoot what others are doing on line or what others think. I'm sure someone else has already mentioned, that we don't care what boys like you think.

I lift because I actually enjoy it, and I enjoy the benefits...strength, flexibility, curves, all around fitness. I will add that have no interest whatsoever in bodybuildng.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:03 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,782,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
I can't stand the term "on fleek." It makes me want to stab things.
I don't know what it means, and I'm not going to waste my time looking it up. OP must be really young.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:41 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,034,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
You must be new in town !
I've seen girls lifting weight since the early 1980's

but I'm talking about squatting 300lbs and overhead lifts.

I didn't see any college girls do that when I was in college at the turn of the century.

I see how the bigbooty-craze has started a squatting craze, but overhead lifts...?

Like this..... is too bulky IMO, and she's not the only one:

Lifting like this..... yes please, keep doing that-

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I don't know what it means, and I'm not going to waste my time looking it up. OP must be really young.
I'm quoting it as a term social media has thrown around.

I had to look up "on fleek" at urbandictionary too when I first heard it.

I'm just wondering how much of an influence social media has had.
If popular girls are posting pictures on instagram of their ass squatting with 300lbs on their shoulders, a lot of other girls will probably be flocking to the gym to do the same.

Last edited by oh come on!; 10-26-2015 at 07:51 PM..

Old 10-26-2015, 08:06 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,923,137 times
Quote:
but I'm talking about squatting 300lbs and overhead lifts.
It's very rare you'll see a woman do a 300 pound squat. Where I work out there are a lot of pretty fit women and it's rare to see any of them venture north of a single plate (135). I've seen a few go as high as 185 and fewer still at 225. The only ones hitting a 300 pound squat are dedicated power lifters. They're out there, but I certainly wouldn't consider it a trend.

Quote:
Like this..... is too bulky IMO, and she's not the only one:
Too intimidating? Your opinion doesn't matter. Hers does.

Quote:
Lifting like this..... yes please, keep doing that-
As if she or anyone else is doing it for you. (Okay, given that photo...she was doing it for the camera so I'll cut you some slack there.) But my point remains valid: They don't train to make you happy.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:08 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,563,808 times
Quote:

I took up light weights a year ago, along with my running. I'm not looking to become manly but to fill out, since I tend be skinny...I'm not a girl but a woman, 52~ ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness