Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 09:23 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times

Advertisements

I want to start doing a push up regiment that consists of different types of push ups. I figured it's the fastest way to a flat chest. I was going to do 100 push ups, 5 sets of 20, different sets like diamond, spread out, etc.
But I was wondering if I could do this every day or would it be best to do it once a week, twice a week or every other day? I know with weights it's advised to do bench press twice a week max but what about body weight resistance training? Would it be overtraining to do this? What if I do one day that's a full 100 and the rest of the days I do twenty here and there?

How would you guys do this? I'm just looking to get toned not ripped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 11:28 AM

Anyone?

Old 11-18-2015, 11:55 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
See the other thread about pushups from earlier this week. If you do them like I do sometimes you can do them everyday. Every hour or so knock out 10 pushups throughout the day. By the end of the day you have done 100 easy pushups.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:57 PM

Nice! Thanks!

Old 11-18-2015, 10:25 PM

How would you know if you've overstrained on push ups? Can you even over train on push ups?

Old 11-18-2015, 10:51 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I want to start doing a push up regiment that consists of different types of push ups. I figured it's the fastest way to a flat chest. I was going to do 100 push ups, 5 sets of 20, different sets like diamond, spread out, etc.
But I was wondering if I could do this every day or would it be best to do it once a week, twice a week or every other day? I know with weights it's advised to do bench press twice a week max but what about body weight resistance training? Would it be overtraining to do this? What if I do one day that's a full 100 and the rest of the days I do twenty here and there?

How would you guys do this? I'm just looking to get toned not ripped.
So you say that you know with weights it's advised to do bench press twice a week max; what do you think is the difference between push-ups and bench press? Understanding the difference between the two exercises will answer your question.

What do you mean by a flat chest and why are you trying to gain one? It is common for people to say they want a flat waist but I've never heard someone say they wanted a flat chest. (I'm assuming you're a guy.) Are you trying to lose weight in your chest area?

Please don't make the comment that, "I'm just looking to get toned not ripped." It identifies you as a newbie in the exercise world.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
So you say that you know with weights it's advised to do bench press twice a week max; what do you think is the difference between push-ups and bench press? Understanding the difference between the two exercises will answer your question.

What do you mean by a flat chest and why are you trying to gain one? It is common for people to say they want a flat waist but I've never heard someone say they wanted a flat chest. (I'm assuming you're a guy.) Are you trying to lose weight in your chest area?

Please don't make the comment that, "I'm just looking to get toned not ripped." It identifies you as a newbie in the exercise world.
I've never received so many questions to a question I asked before. I mean all I was wondering about is the possibility of overtraining if I were to do push-ups every day. I was also wondering how one would know if they were overtraining.
The most I know is that push-ups are low intensity vs weights. Weights would work the pecs to where they're more pronounced and bigger. I assumed that push-ups would just tone out the chest.
And of course I'm fairly new to bodybuilding, why else would I be asking? Is there something wrong with that?

Old 11-19-2015, 06:54 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
I've never received so many questions to a question I asked before.
Here is one more question: Why do you want to do push-ups every day?

Quote:
I mean all I was wondering about is the possibility of overtraining if I were to do push-ups every day.
I wouldn't advise doing them every day. That's especially true if you're new at this. The only point in doing them every day would be if you had some particular goal that you couldn't achieve any other way.

In any case, I wouldn't even think of doing even moderate-resistance strength exercises every day until I'd built up a base of conditioning over time. Since you say you're new at this, that means you're in the category where you shouldn't even be thinking about doing these every day, even if there's some goal you're aiming for down the road which you think would eventually require doing push-ups every day.

To start with, try doing push-ups twice a week, several sets per workout. If you feel comfortable after a few weeks of this, you might try moving up to three times a week, with at least one off day between push-up workouts so those muscles have time to recover and rebuild.

Quote:
I was also wondering how one would know if they were overtraining.
It's a bit difficult to answer that question for someone new to this. When you have more experience, you'll develop a feel for how much you can push yourself and when it's time to ease off a bit. The best I can do before you develop that feel for yourself is to tell you there are several symptoms of over-training: you stop making progress; you feel heavy and sluggish; your muscles just kind of feel unresponsive; you don't feel mentally fresh going into a workout, but instead find the idea of exercise to be tedious.

Quote:
The most I know is that push-ups are low intensity vs weights. Weights would work the pecs to where they're more pronounced and bigger. I assumed that push-ups would just tone out the chest.
With standard push-ups you're lifting against less resistance than you would be with a heavy bench press, but push-ups are still a resistance exercise. They involve lower resistance than pumping heavy iron, but they're not really low-resistance. It's not like getting out and running every day. (Actually, I don't recommend doing aerobic/cardio exercise every day. It's best to give the body a break, and take at least one day a week off from any exercise.)

Individual responses to exercise vary, but you're likely to build some muscle with push-ups, even if it may be less than you'd build with bench presses.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:31 AM

My goal is to flatten chest. I'm a bit loose in the chest area and would like to tone it up or flatten it. I figured I would do sort of an army routine of push ups everyday. Someone else posted in here to do ten very other hour until I reach 100.
I just hear so many different things from different people. One person says you can't overtrain on push ups because it's so low resistance. Another says its like any bodybuilding exercise, you need rest. One says it won't do anything to tone your chest, another says its the best way to flatten the chest but now grow it. I'm not looking for bulk, I'm just looking for a regular flat toned chest. I'm not trying to sound like a total newbie, I'm just trying to figure all this out from all the conflicting data I'm getting.
My diet is on point though. I basically eat super healthy. Brown rice, lots of protein; eggs, all natural no salt peanut butter, gluten free whole grain bread, chicken, salmon, beans and sweet potatoes, fruits, avocados, spinach, kale, etc. No high glycemic carbs, no high fat dairy, only Greek yogurt and occasionally sour cream.
I power walk and sprint for an hour every other day. Finally I use an ab wheel and do planks. My stomach is looking better, abs are showing a bit. The only issue is my chest. When I flex I see muscle, wide chest semi bulky. I look like a guy who used to work out but stopped for a couple years. My arms, legs, shoulders, all great. My chest is the one that gives me headaches. I have to puff up my chest for it to look solid. The minute I slouch it looks a bit like loose skin, slightly flabby. I've been doin push ups every other day for a month now. That's why I'm wondering if I could push it to every day.

I'm 29, 180lbs, 5'10

Old 11-19-2015, 11:32 AM

Do push ups fall under the same realm as running, swimming? Is it an endurance exercise that basically burns fat but doesn't build muscle? I am really looking to more lean up as though I went to boot camp. And by boot camp I mean the army type training not a fitness "boot" camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness