Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 07:36 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Their exercise is pointless. They need to split firewood, climb mountains, play a sport or something else engaging. You are more likely to spend an hour playing tennis than jogging on a treadmill, particularly if you make friends there. Most people fail at getting into shape because they go to those mindless gyms. If nothing else, take a dance class.
Another pointless blanket statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 08:52 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
Well, I know what it is with me - I'm poorly organized (severe ADD), and I'm a stress eater.

I've been working on a better sleep schedule, but I have an elderly dog that frequently has to go out at 1 in the morning, after I've been asleep for a few hours. That's been screwing me up lately. She's dying, so it won't go on for much longer, I guess.

I cook reasonably healthy meals and freeze them and buy greens on a regular basis to eat in salads, but I work in a deadline-driven profession from home. I want to get out of the house and I inevitably end up at a drive thru.

In winter, my two younger high-energy dogs need intense exercise within the limited hours of daylight - running with me isn't going to do it. I have to take them to the dog park for some hardcore exercise.

I like to exercise when I get started, but motivation is a problem when I'm always tired. And when I'm really stressed, junk food (burgers, pizza, ice cream - whatever) triggers all the dopamine receptors, calms me down and keeps me going.

And then there's working on my house, which I own and maintaining it. Ugh.

My job is lightening up so I'm looking into volunteering options that will get me out of the house more and working on getting on a reliable sleep schedule.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:08 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I totally agree with this. Eating dinner is an obstacle that stops many people from getting in the habit of working out in the evening. You either have to eat an early dinner so you can exercise later in the evening or eat dinner after you exercise. It makes it difficult to be the "Leave it to Beaver" type family that sit down together to dinner at 5 or 6:00.
I agree with the habit portion of your comment. However, I'm not so sure about the early dinner part. I think longer work hours have made it very hard for most people to get a quality workout in after work.

My current job is very life-balance focused, yet when I go to the gym after work (almost every day) I'm not home til around 7pm. If my wife isn't making dinner, I won't even start cooking til 7:30 after I shower. And this is with a shorter commute than most. I can't even imagine how hard this must be if you have kids whose bed times are before 9pm. I have no idea how I'm going to do it when the little one comes along.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:52 PM

589 posts, read 695,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Sugar Addiction. And I'm just as guilty as everybody else.
You know what sucks? How even artificial sugar is addicting and makes you crave real sweets.

And I recently found out a glass of fruit juice is as bad as eating a donut.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:06 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,013 times
I am too lazy to work out so I just eat healthy.. look at me I am still skinny

Old 12-04-2015, 04:39 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I agree with the habit portion of your comment. However, I'm not so sure about the early dinner part. I think longer work hours have made it very hard for most people to get a quality workout in after work.

My current job is very life-balance focused, yet when I go to the gym after work (almost every day) I'm not home til around 7pm. If my wife isn't making dinner, I won't even start cooking til 7:30 after I shower. And this is with a shorter commute than most. I can't even imagine how hard this must be if you have kids whose bed times are before 9pm. I have no idea how I'm going to do it when the little one comes along.
Your situation is what I was describing. You're able to work out now but you're wondering how you will do it when you have kids. Combine that with a longer commute or having to work longer hours. This is why many people many people fail when it comes to getting in shape. You may be able to do it for awhile but it is difficult to continue for decades.

Some people are able to work out in the morning. I tried this at various times in my life by either running at home, or driving to a gym, working out, showering, and going to work. I also tried working out at lunch. Many people don't have this option, however. The other option that I presented is to come home after work, have a family dinner, put the kids to bed and then workout. This obviously has its drawbacks.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:27 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I am too lazy to work out so I just eat healthy.. look at me I am still skinny
Skinny does not equal healthy.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:31 PM

686 posts, read 804,537 times
I think they fail because they often set unrealistic goals and are too hard on themselves. I also think that when they workout the few first times they get sore and quit. Another major reason anyone fails at working out/ being healthy/ leaning out is NUTRITION

Old 12-12-2015, 08:05 AM

145 posts, read 160,262 times
1. Attitude: Most people who aren't fit don't have any day to day interactions with fit people. This makes it tough to realize how type A fit people are when it comes to fitness. Whether it's following their dietician's advice to a tee or following an athletes workout regimen, people who look really fit are very type A when it comes to that stuff. It is something you have to see to believe.

2. Expectations: Having the weight and body fat percentage of a fitness model is a tough thing to ask of oneself.

3. Passion: They don't do workout programs that fit their passion. They do whatever is the flavor of the day no matter how boring it is.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:52 PM

4,558 posts, read 5,408,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDickey View Post
1. Attitude: Most people who aren't fit don't have any day to day interactions with fit people. This makes it tough to realize how type A fit people are when it comes to fitness. Whether it's following their dietician's advice to a tee or following an athletes workout regimen, people who look really fit are very type A when it comes to that stuff. It is something you have to see to believe.
This actually makes a lot of sense and is something I've found to be true. Many of the women I know/have known who were not fit tend to almost prefer to be around and make friends of other non-fit people just like them. I've always found this to be stupid, reeking of emotional issues, and very similar to people who only want to be friends with people of their own race. These people drive me crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness