Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 10:04 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
That ain't too shabby as far as physical activity goes. As another poster mentioned though, food is at least half the battle. Try to eat better there.

As far as your family goes, try to reason with them why the gym may not be the way to go. And BTW, $40/mo doesn't sound too bad... some places, it's $50+/mo, and you need to pay $50 once a year as a "maintenance fee". Still, many not being used is still being wasted. I had a chance to train with a coworker at such a gym (he's in shape, and seems to know a thing or more about physical fitness), but I still opted for the crappy, "office gym" at $3 for each visit. He ended up leaving, so glad I didn't get sucked into a commitment

Posted just after eating a McDonalds meal
Planet Fitness is $10 a month ( here) then some $40.00 fee a year. ( or something- I got a quote on the phone recently, so not real sure) I'm new to exercising but have figured out real fast that not everyone indulges in exercising and some even run from the topic.. YES! There are some pretty new treadmills here that are only sporting extra coat hangers and gift wrap from last year!

Back to the OP- I think he needs to let his parents pay for the monthly fee. They obviously want to and he needs to swallow his pride because his way is not working. So, mountain or not - just "do it"

Disclaimer* None of this will work if diet is not controlled.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 01-14-2016 at 10:13 PM..

Old 01-15-2016, 06:20 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
That is one of the worst diets I've ever heard a person admit to eating.

FWIW, based on your times, you aren't technically "running."

Old 01-15-2016, 08:23 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
This thread has been a fun read. Some good general advice in it.

It's irrelevant any claims to time and distance and number of days running (or walking or crawling or whatever) because the original question was quite simple - Should the gym be joined under family pressure?

Family is willing to pay, so from the perspective of quieting the chatter, let them pay for the membership. The only caveat is to go to the gym a least 3 times a week so a new argument doesn't ensue regarding wasting money on you.

And to what has been repeated countless times - without control of the diet in some way, shape, or form, it's all just a big waste of time.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:49 AM

633 posts, read 640,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
If I'm reading right and my math is correct? You did 8 miles in roughly over 4 hours? If so, that's roughly 30-32 mins a mile? hardly considered "running" but ok.

Anyways, that's not the point here. You, like many other people mistakenly think lossing weight=exercise. I'm guessing, youre reading the replies...and probably going to make adjustments.

Hardly considered "running?" I've seen infants crawl faster than that. uphill.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:08 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
No one can make you lose weight it has to be something you really want to do. I have lost 25 lbs in 6 months with diet and exercise it takes a tremendous self will to change the way you eat and drag my self to the gym 5 nights a week. I completely understand how tough it is to make these kinds of life changes. My entire life I was always unfit type of person eat what ever I wanted, and never exercised. I was the kid that walked behind everyone in PE. Never gave a thought to it hung out with kids that were like me. Fast forward 35 years it started to affect daily life. I felt weak, and sickly turned out I became a type 2 diabetic. Also had trouble sleeping and found out I had bad case of sleep apnea. Doctor wanted to put me on drugs for diabetes, and I ended up sleeping with a CPAP which I have a lot of trouble sleeping with it on. This all happened last year so May 19th I joined Planet Fitness and started eating a 1200 Calories a day. It took me 3 months at the gym to just exercise without passing out from being so out of shape. Just got my diabetes test last week A1C is normal again doctor says I'm only 5% of his patents that actually follow though with his advise most just take the meds. My advice is if you really want to do this is start with your eating remove things you know are bad for you. Start with just sugary foods such as candy, sugary drinks like high sugary juices, and sodas. Just that alone will change a lot. Don't bother with diets just change what your eating, and eat little less each week to wean you off your old ways of eating. Go to the gym every week day even if you only go 15 minutes at first that's okay make sure you go so you get into a habit of it. Increase your exercise each day once you get into shape where you can really exercise then you can build up your stamina. I would suggest a trainer just to get you started. Walking around at a normal pace isn't enough exercise you need to walk at least 3 MPH which is fast pace to do anything.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:17 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
Hardly considered "running?" I've seen infants crawl faster than that. uphill.
Haha. 30-32 mins to run a mile uphill? I can walk that in 15 or less.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:01 PM

806 posts, read 958,730 times
More proof for the clowns who still doubt me.

Did I mention this is at near 4,000 feet elevation with steep mountains?

I guarantee none of you could finish this course.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:52 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post

Of course, none of us could.

Awesome, you 'ran' 7 miles in 4 hours this time instead of 8 miles.

If youre burning 500 calories in 4 hours of exercise....wouldn't it be easier to sit on the couch and skip a meal instead for running 7 miles up a steep mountain for 4 hours?

Old 01-16-2016, 10:20 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Of course, none of us could.

Awesome, you 'ran' 7 miles in 4 hours this time instead of 8 miles.

If youre burning 500 calories in 4 hours of exercise....wouldn't it be easier to sit on the couch and skip a meal instead for running 7 miles up a steep mountain for 4 hours?
Yep, then you could watch even MORE tv, OP.

One solid hour of high-intensity cardio would get the same results. But what kind of life is fast-food, ramen and walking up and down mountains for 4 hours every day??? It's just so weird.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:29 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post

Don't make me laugh. Not only could I finish it, but if we started at the same time I'd be stretched, showered, and enjoying a recovery brew by the time you finished. As long as it takes you to go 7 miles, I'm pretty sure a lot of people on this board would be able to join me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness