Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:03 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hello,
In the last 10 years I have gained 100lbs. I visited my folks for Thanksgiving this past year (2015), and looked through a few old pictures. I am currently 29, and saw a few of my senior year of high school and freshman year of college. Skinny/sexy me. I want that again! I knew myself well enough that I would not go to the gym on my own accord. I signed up for a Personal Trainer and have been seeing him 3X a week.

It seems like such a drag though! Its only 1 hour of my time, but my heart sinks when I think "oh tomorrow I have to go to the gym". Its a commitment I need to keep (and paid for it), but its just a drag. Maybe its because I haven't seen results yet? Its only been about 3 weeks.

Any advice?
I think you have to force yourself to give it more time until it becomes a habit, and you start looking forward to your workouts. I would tell your trainer that you want to focus on weightlifting. It might take several months before weightlifting becomes part of your routine. Once you have a routine established, then start think about adding some cardio to your workout. I think a cardio program such as running is much more difficult to develop into a habit.

100lbs in 10 years is worse than bad. I talked to someone today whose 32 year old relative has had part of his toe amputated due to Type II Diabetes and is suffering neuropathy in his feet. Don't kid yourself into thinking you're immune to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 05:34 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,307 times
Quote:
I knew myself well enough that I would not go to the gym on my own accord. I signed up for a Personal Trainer and have been seeing him 3X a week.

It seems like such a drag though! Its only 1 hour of my time, but my heart sinks when I think "oh tomorrow I have to go to the gym". Its a commitment I need to keep (and paid for it), but its just a drag. Maybe its because I haven't seen results yet? Its only been about 3 weeks.

Any advice?
Maybe a slight tweak in your thinking would give you a boost?

Going to the gym is about GAINING not LOSING. Gaining fitness. It's about gaining strength, flexibility, endurance.

Don't make your gym goals about numbers on the scale and pants sizes. Make your gym goals fitness goals...e.g., increasing the number of minutes/miles you can jog; increasing the number of push ups you can do; increasing the amount weight you can lift/curl/bench; achieving that yoga pose that seems insurmountable right now. Focus on those things, when it comes to going to the gym...not losing pounds, calories, inches and pants sizes (that's what DIET is for...exercise does not burn nearly as many calories as people think it does).

Exercise gets easier, the more you do it. The more you do it, the more fit you will get. The more fit you get, the more enjoyable it will become, and the more efficient your body will be at burning calories.

If you need extra motivation to go to the gym, set up a system of incentives and rewards. For example, do you have a favorite TV series, podcast, book? You are only allowed to watch/hear/read the next episode/chapter on gym days, after your workouts. If you skip the gym that day, you are not allowed to watch/hear/read the next episode/chapter until the next gym day. Or, maybe there is a fancy shampoo or bath product you've been meaning to try? Go to the mall and treat yourself. HOWEVER, you are only allowed to use these after gym sessions. You get extra rewards for meeting fitness goals. For example, when you are able to do 10 military style push ups with good form, or are able to jog 2 miles in 25 minutes, you get to reward yourself with a new lipstick, perfume, manicure, accessory, item of clothing, etc. etc. Make your fitness goals achievable and realistic. If they are too unrealistic, you will be setting yourself up for excuses to quit and fail.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:59 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
OP, you haven't been doing it very long, and as you say too soon to see much results. Please give it TIME and when you start seeing and feeling the results you will become more motivated. In the meantime you have received some good advice here. Cut down your meal portions and stick to a healthy diet with little to no processed food, especially simple carbs.

And if you can find a fun activity that you enjoy, add that to your exercise. For instance, I love riding my bike and doing various forms of dancing.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2016, 12:07 PM

865 posts, read 1,488,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
If you need extra motivation to go to the gym, set up a system of incentives and rewards. For example, do you have a favorite TV series, podcast, book? You are only allowed to watch/hear/read the next episode/chapter on gym days, after your workouts. If you skip the gym that day, you are not allowed to watch/hear/read the next episode/chapter until the next gym day.
Heck with that - learn to read, listen to podcasts, or watch your shows WHILE working out. Its a great way to pass time. I have read about 5-6 novels, listened to hundreds of podcasts, watched hundreds of shows since starting to go back to the gym in Sept. I do it while on the eliptical, treatmill or exercise bike. The other night I watched "The Bachelor" while on the treadmill and the thing ended up shutting off on me (it does that automatically after 60 minutes). Walking about 3.5 miles while watching the tail end of the show. What else would I have done while watching that anyway?

Old 01-27-2016, 03:36 PM

1,386 posts, read 999,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Focus on your diet. That is the most important thing you can do. Exercising is a hurdle for a lot of people, and it may be something you need to ease yourself into. Some trainers really like to push people because that is what is needed, but if you are not mentally ready it could backfire on you.

I concur. Losing weight is 90% diet.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:57 PM

645 posts, read 750,592 times
you most likely are still down about your weight being that you still have a long way to go...nothing happens in a day.....it takes work......hard work pays off just be patient....

Old 01-28-2016, 12:28 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Hello,
In the last 10 years I have gained 100lbs. I visited my folks for Thanksgiving this past year (2015), and looked through a few old pictures. I am currently 29, and saw a few of my senior year of high school and freshman year of college. Skinny/sexy me. I want that again! I knew myself well enough that I would not go to the gym on my own accord. I signed up for a Personal Trainer and have been seeing him 3X a week.

Any advice?
Yes. Advice: start a diet, as well. You'll make better progress, and that will provide its own motivation. I usually recommend cutting way back on carbs, way, way back, and increasing protein intake. That gets good results, and helps you build lean muscle mass, which speeds/facilitates weight loss. However, the same approach doesn't work for everyone in terms of what they're willing to tolerate, so maybe others will have other suggestions, and you can decide what would be most do-able for you. But diet is key for getting results and keeping up motivation to go to the gym. The two go hand-in-hand, really.

And since you mentioned Thanksgiving, I'll tell you how I've done Thanksgiving for the last 25 years, or so. Turkey, as much as I want. Salad--as much as I want. Green veggies, ditto. Potatoes--none. Gravy--never eaten it in my life. Stuffing--ditto. Those two just never looked appealing to me. I also skip desert and have some kind of a nice flavorful tea, instead. Christmas dinner--same. I focus on enjoying the company of family and friends, not so much on the food, though I love turkey, a good mixed salad, and the string beans or whatever veggie. That's plenty for me to enjoy. And for appetizers, if there's sliced or chopped veggies and cheese dip, that's what I focus on, not the crackers or whatever major carbs. Combined with dinner, that's plenty for me.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:46 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,753,744 times
I think it is also anticipatory anxiety.Its the same exact feeling I would have leading up to a class I didn'tlike. A day before I would get this sinking feeling "ugh! I have *that* class again.. "Ugh, I have the gym tomorrow". Despite doing well at the gym, getting praised, and feeling good after, I still get that feeling! I purposely paid a few weeks early tolock myself into another month, which brings me to the end of March. I am thinking by then, either I'll overcome this "fear" or/and I will learn enough I can train by myself.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:27 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Hello,

Any advice?
100lbs is a year of intense exercise and intake calculation. The farther away you are from your ideal the longer the road back.

Learn from the trainer so you can eventually do it on your own. Should be going 6/7 days per week. Find your threshold and build from there. Track and log your workouts. Same with your meals. Create an account at Myfitnesspal and once you start tracking you will be astounded at what you eat.

Take pictures of yourself now for before/after. Weigh once per week.

Do weights, do cardio. Nothing extreme at first. Find your tolerance level. Look at the New Rules of Lifting for women. joint a cardio boot camp.(not crossfit). You are young enough to do both per day.

On your days off from work become accustomed to walking outside. Go and walk and increse the distance/duration a little. Soon you will be more accustomed to being outside walking than sitting indoors.

Watch motivation videos during the evening regarding exercise.(when you cannot be out walking)

As HC said, Find your motiviation. Gym is an addiction after a bit. You need that addiction at this moment. You can break it later but for now you need that addiction.

Oh yeah, I notice this works as well. Have a piece of attire- shorts, jeans, etc. that you want to fit into at your ideal weight. Have it always in front of you. Edge of the bed so you see it every morning and every evening. Hanging from the outside of your closet or bathroom door,etc. It should haunt you. Holy Grail and all that.

Everyone reaches a nodal point where enough is enough.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-23-2016 at 07:44 AM..

Old 02-28-2016, 10:18 PM

1,982 posts, read 972,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
I concur. Losing weight is 90% diet.
Seconded.

OP, you don't even need to go to the gym to lose weight. It's all about caloric deficit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness