Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 03:13 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,787 times

Advertisements

Very, very true, Twintle toes. Thanks for clarifying that. You are right, those portions can be crazy sometimes, not to mention tons of ingredients. So, now I do agree with you! LOL. Have you always been this good at portions or did you have to learn it later?

My goal is to be like you, so you are my hero! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/dance020.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 03:21 PM

335 posts, read 1,533,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I ALWAYS portion my plates into 1/4's. I eat 1/4 of my plate and take the rest with me. You don't have to be embarrassed to ask for a take home container, the waitstaff will gladly accommodate your request.
You have uncommon will power Twinkle Toes. I really admire how hard you work to stay healthy and fit.

Carrot

Old 02-29-2008, 03:24 PM

I don't go out to eat much, but I'm a little piggie when food is put in front of me. When I do pig out, I try and eat a lot of salad and vegetables. You really can't go too wrong pigging out of veggies and salads. I'm lucky I guess in that I actually really enjoy eating healthy food. A bowl of plain yogurt with bananas, walnuts, and raisins is heaven to me, but a lot of people can't stand that kind of food.

By the way, this thread is making me hungry.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:29 PM

I got a great portion control, be poor like me and not be able to go out!!! LOL

Old 02-29-2008, 03:32 PM

Okay, folks, what about pizza?

What do you do when an entire oily hot cheesy pizza is sitting there in front of you?

Oh, my god, I had the best pizza the other day. The cheese was so hot, it kept sliding off the crust and the oil was dripping down my chin. I washed down two huge slices with an ice-cold Coke and then carried the crust out to the car and fed them to my dog.

I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. No portion control there. I was stuffed. A huge, wonderful meal for $6, and that included tip and parking.

- Hungry Carrot

P.S. I'm broke lately, so that was my meal for the day.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot juice View Post

What do you do when an entire oily hot cheesy pizza is sitting there in front of you?

Oh, my god, I had the best pizza the other day. The cheese was so hot, it kept sliding off the crust and the oil was dripping down my chin. I washed down two huge slices with an ice-cold Coke and then carried the crust out to the car and fed them to my dog.

I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. No portion control there. I was stuffed. A huge, wonderful meal for $6, and that included tip and parking.

- Hungry Carrot

P.S. I'm broke lately, so that was my meal for the day.
Stop it! You are making me drool and want to go for a pizza!

I thinks it's ok to indulge every once in a while! You can't not reward yourself. Your mind will go nuts!

Old 02-29-2008, 03:49 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot juice View Post

I wont even both to go into a pizza place so that they can put the pizza in front of me.

Twinkle Toes has the right idea about eating in 1/4ths. I however do it in 1/3rds then take home the rest. The only thing I refuse leave is any wine I order. Cant leave any of a $9.00 glass of wine left.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:41 AM

Um, let me try this again. I just went out to breakfast and had my wonderful multi-grain and blueberry pancakes, which I love so much. I put two little cubes of butter on top and watched them melt down over the sides before pouring hot thick pure Vermont maple syrup all over the top. It was like I died and went to heaven.

I ate 3/4's of it. Is that portion control?

Cost was $10 and that was my meal for the day. Can we count "meal control" in this thread? Because if you eat fewer meals, you should be able to eat larger portions, right? That's usually how I work it.

Moderator cut: unnecessary comment

# # #

Last edited by ontheroad; 03-02-2008 at 07:51 AM..

Old 03-03-2008, 01:59 PM

203 posts, read 960,664 times
I ask for a to-go container right away(or bring my own in the diaper bag.) Some places have as large as 6-8 times the amount of food that you need in one meal(salad then main course...it is a lot of food!)

And for anyone who travels...ask for the to-go box anyways, and if your hotel does not have a fridge(or you will be eating out again anyways) then throw it out! You just saved yourself a lot of calories.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:35 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,876 times
Portion Control? Ah I could have used this thread as a reminder at the Souplanation Saturday night. It was worth it though...
HUGE salad, lil pasta, 4 diff soups, baked potato
I'd been craving this place for months...had to make up for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness