Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 02:18 PM

698 posts, read 980,569 times

Advertisements

Looking for some input on my plan. I've included my current stats at the bottom of this post.

I'd like to lose about 50 more lbs by the beginning of June (4 months), I've lost 20.5 in the last month when I started.

Much of what I'm doing is based on past experience, however, I'm older now and the body doesn't seem to respond like it did in my 30's.

My current workout consists of stretching, 35 minutes on an elliptical machine in "fat burning mode" keeping my heart rate in the 65 - 70% range, then 20 minutes of weight machines focusing on two areas each day e.g. arms and back on the same day. I do this five days a week and on my off days I walk about 2.5 miles at approximately 3 mph.

First two weeks I only walked, third week I started my cardio and the fourth week I added the weight machines.

I belong to an athletic club with about every weight and machine you could ever imagine (90,000 sq ft club) as well as probably 50 different classes taught per week; classes include aqua, mind and body, cardio and dance, high intensity and strength categories. Also have access to swimming and racquetball. I'm thinking I'd like to work in a class every week just to mix things up, but not at the cost of weight loss.

So based on my goals, what I've lost and the information below does anyone have suggestions on improving my weight loss results (workout related)? Thanks in advance, I greatly appreciate it.

I understand my weight lose goal is very aggressive and more than likely will have to adjust as I go along, but I wanted to set a lofty goal for myself. I honestly believe I can lose another 20 in the next 30 days then I would have 3 months to lose 30 (that would be 2.3 lbs a week during the final three months).

Stats
My stats follow:
Current stats- Male, 48, 5'10", current weight 248.5 lbs. Sedentary job, 10 hours a day behind desk.

Goals - Lose 50 lbs in the next 4 months

Current diet - Diet WAS (as of five days ago) two fresh juices a day, two healthy snacks and one healthy meal. Diet TODAY one 16 oz juice as a meal, one green smoothie (base being almond milk, protein powder, non-fat Greek yogurt) with spinach and one fruit, healthy dinner (e.g. grilled chicken, fish, turkey, brown rice and veggies), 1/2 juice for a snack and one healthy snack. Drink minimum 12 glasses of water a day. One "cheat" meal a week. My cheat meals are not nachos, pizza burgers etc. More like sushi or 6 oz prime rib or rib eye steak.

MyFitnessPal target calories on workout days 2,050, non-workout days 1,590. 50% carbs/30% protein/20% fat goal per day.

Exercise - See above

Supplements - Sprouts brand natural whey protein once a day in my smoothie.

Health Issues - High blood pressure (25 mg metoprolol a day), polycystic kidney disease which requires my protein intake not exceed 90 - 100 gram range per day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 02:41 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,237,594 times
A lot more emphasis on diet and less on exercise. I only suggest, you not drink any of your calories (juice, smoothies, etc) and stick to unprocessed natural whole foods. Lower your sodium intake dramatically as well.

You have an aggressive weight loss goal, and with that you need an dramatic plan. It's going to hurt, but nothing good ever comes easy.

Personally, you're setting up to fail if your willpower is in question, but if you indeed have the willpower to adhere to a healthy diet, it's achievable.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:48 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,535,513 times
I'm a girl but have similar goals. I am also a minimalist and simplistic. I know that in order to lose weight, I must eat less than I burn. I have figured out that I burn approximately 1900 calories per day. I must eat less than that. I can burn more calories by moving more. I recently learned that at the very least you should do some research on this so-called "fat burning mode." I've heard it's a bunch of b.s. and believe it. Move your dang body and you will burn calories. Period. Sure, if you do HIIT, you'll burn a higher amount in a shorter amount of time. Me - I'll do the elliptical for 30 minutes, not too crazy a level to where I'm sweating like a pig and in severe torture mode. I'll do what I can do and I will burn what I burn and I will estimate that burn to the best of my ability.

But mainly, as Hawaiian mentioned, I will focus on what goes into my mouth and make sure it is much much less than 1900 calories.

I personally believe that if you want to lose weight, you could solely focus all your energy on the eating and just not even exercise (just to prove the point) and you will lose weight if you do it correctly. Give the body some time to catch up. I have been doing well the past week but the scale says otherwise. Stoopid scale. But I know I'm doing the right things and I will get my whoosh. I will get down to the 30 pounds lost mark soon. IF I keep up with eating the right things in the right amounts.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
A lot more emphasis on diet and less on exercise. I only suggest, you not drink any of your calories (juice, smoothies, etc) and stick to unprocessed natural whole foods. Lower your sodium intake dramatically as well.

You have an aggressive weight loss goal, and with that you need an dramatic plan. It's going to hurt, but nothing good ever comes easy.

Personally, you're setting up to fail if your willpower is in question, but if you indeed have the willpower to adhere to a healthy diet, it's achievable.
No concerns with willpower here and as far as hurt is concerned, doing a juice fast for 5 days isn't the easiest thing and I made it through that, what I'm doing now compared to that is a piece of cake

I understand what you're saying about diet, however I feel pretty good on where I am diet wise, now want to get the workout dialed in to enhance what I'm doing on the diet side of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I'm a girl but have similar goals. I am also a minimalist and simplistic. I know that in order to lose weight, I must eat less than I burn. I have figured out that I burn approximately 1900 calories per day. I must eat less than that. I can burn more calories by moving more. I recently learned that at the very least you should do some research on this so-called "fat burning mode." I've heard it's a bunch of b.s. and believe it. Move your dang body and you will burn calories. Period. Sure, if you do HIIT, you'll burn a higher amount in a shorter amount of time. Me - I'll do the elliptical for 30 minutes, not too crazy a level to where I'm sweating like a pig and in severe torture mode. I'll do what I can do and I will burn what I burn and I will estimate that burn to the best of my ability.

But mainly, as Hawaiian mentioned, I will focus on what goes into my mouth and make sure it is much much less than 1900 calories.

I personally believe that if you want to lose weight, you could solely focus all your energy on the eating and just not even exercise (just to prove the point) and you will lose weight if you do it correctly. Give the body some time to catch up. I have been doing well the past week but the scale says otherwise. Stoopid scale. But I know I'm doing the right things and I will get my whoosh. I will get down to the 30 pounds lost mark soon. IF I keep up with eating the right things in the right amounts.
I totally agree on CICO and I believe I have mine dialed in (can always adjust as I move along), now I'm looking to enhance my diet with optimum exercise (additional calorie burn) for weight loss which will speed-up my weight loss by burning an extra 500 - 600 calories a day currently (CICO) AND have the additional benefits of getting my body in shape, increasing my physical stamina, increasing my metabolism and all the other benefits of being in good physical shape.

Again, couldn't agree with you more regarding CICO. Good luck on your journey.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:41 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,237,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
No concerns with willpower here and as far as hurt is concerned, doing a juice fast for 5 days isn't the easiest thing and I made it through that, what I'm doing now compared to that is a piece of cake

I understand what you're saying about diet, however I feel pretty good on where I am diet wise, now want to get the workout dialed in to enhance what I'm doing on the diet side of things.
I'm ecstatic to hear your level of dedication/motivation, and congratulations on your 20lb weight loss

I think, your cardio rich workout is doing you just fine for your set goal. I would recommend some light strength training in your regiment as well. No need to overdo the weightlifting since your goal isn't building muscle mass; that can come later once you've shave off so more weight, if you elect to do so.

I do still suggest, not drinking any of your calories. But it's your choice in how your nutrition is delivered.

Eat well, train safe and best of luck on your journey

Old 02-04-2016, 04:12 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,965,482 times
Here...

Put 10-20 minutes of low to moderate intensity cardio after weight training.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:13 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,535,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Here...

What is RI?

Old 02-04-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
What is RI?
Rest interval (time between each set)

Old 02-04-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I'm ecstatic to hear your level of dedication/motivation, and congratulations on your 20lb weight loss

I think, your cardio rich workout is doing you just fine for your set goal. I would recommend some light strength training in your regiment as well. No need to overdo the weightlifting since your goal isn't building muscle mass; that can come later once you've shave off so more weight, if you elect to do so.

I do still suggest, not drinking any of your calories. But it's your choice in how your nutrition is delivered.

Eat well, train safe and best of luck on your journey
I'm currently doing about 20 minutes a day of weight training. Nothing too heavy, enough weight to insure I'm sore the next day but not enough to inflict pain.

Understand what you're saying about "drinking my calories". Honestly, it's just a personal preference, nothing having to do with any diet, I just really like juicing and green smoothies, and it works with my schedule quite well, very convenient for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Here...

Interesting, what I'm doing is very similar to your chart, however, I'm doing three different exercises per area and working two areas per gym session. Is the chart saying do every one of these exercises per gym session, sort of like circuit training I suppose (my club has circuit training equipment, just never looked closely at what exercises are included.

The cardio after weights is interesting, what's the concept/theory there?

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
Interesting, what I'm doing is very similar to your chart, however, I'm doing three different exercises per area and working two areas per gym session. Is the chart saying do every one of these exercises per gym session, sort of like circuit training I suppose (my club has circuit training equipment, just never looked closely at what exercises are included.

The cardio after weights is interesting, what's the concept/theory there?

Thanks!
The idea behind doing a high rep/short rest full body workout is to deplete your muscles of their glycogen stores, which promotes fat burning and helps to make sure that incoming calories are first used to replenish those glycogen stores rather than be stored as fat.

Cardio after weights helps to burn off the fatty acids produced during the weight lifting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness