Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 06:48 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I tried something different on my DL today. I usually work in sets of 5, sometimes spreading one set out as singles so I can get some heavier reps in too. Today I made singles the focus so the bulk of my reps were heavier than what I'd be doing in sets of 5.

I did a warmup then progressed:

1x3: 315
6x1: 365
3x1: 345
3x1: 335
3x1: 325
1x3: 315
1x3: 305

On a day I'm doing a 6x5 pyramid I may get up to 335/345 on my heaviest set. I'm going to alternate between that and what I did today for the next few weeks and see if it helps me improve.

Has anyone else taken an approach like this? How did it work for you?
The weight difference on some of those sets isn't enough, IMO. A 10 pound difference isn't enough unless you are close to maxing out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 07:11 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
The weight difference on some of those sets isn't enough, IMO. A 10 pound difference isn't enough unless you are close to maxing out.
Are you saying I'm not dropping enough weight? (Re: "...a 10 pound difference is not enough...") Or do you mean my singles are not heavy enough? I'd buy the latter, but keep in mind this is a trial run and I'll be adding some weight the next time I try it. And it's not too far from my max, which at this time is 395. I'm really close to breaking 400, and I think this system will get me there. But I'll go back to multi-rep sets (which I do not intend to abandon entirely anyway) if I don't feel this system is getting me where I want to go.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:17 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
Are you saying I'm not dropping enough weight? (Re: "...a 10 pound difference is not enough...") Or do you mean my singles are not heavy enough? I'd buy the latter, but keep in mind this is a trial run and I'll be adding some weight the next time I try it. And it's not too far from my max, which at this time is 395. I'm really close to breaking 400, and I think this system will get me there. But I'll go back to multi-rep sets (which I do not intend to abandon entirely anyway) if I don't feel this system is getting me where I want to go.
If you're getting results then you are doing something right. I just think that the weight difference between deadlift sets should be more than 10 lbs either way. Also, if you are doing singles I would go as heavy as possible. I'm no expert though, just giving you my opinion.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
If you're getting results then you are doing something right. I just think that the weight difference between deadlift sets should be more than 10 lbs either way. Also, if you are doing singles I would go as heavy as possible. I'm no expert though, just giving you my opinion.
Good enough. I was just curious. I think dropping weight in small intervals is more a mental thing than anything else. I'll be starting at heavier weight levels as I progress, and the small drops in weight are a mental boost as well as keeping me over a certain threshold I'd otherwise be below. But then again, this is a trial run so we'll see how it works after a month or so.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:22 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
Quote:
When you say "lighter weight" what exactly do you mean? 185? 225? If you're jumping from 185 to 275 I can see why your form may take a hit. I'd suggesting increasing weight in smaller increments. You get the increases plus you don't let your form drop off. Otherwise your problem may be in the setup and timing. If your butt is dropping before you start you may not be low enough when you setup. If it starts going up before you pull you may be too low.
By lighter weight I mean maxing at 2 plates on each side. So 225. It's a weight where my form feels "comfortable" but I really don't feel like I'm pushing myself. My butt moves up before the bar does, almost like I'm starting too low. However, when this happens I really feel it in my lower back and I don't want to be straining anything.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:35 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times
Quote:
Good enough. I was just curious. I think dropping weight in small intervals is more a mental thing than anything else. I'll be starting at heavier weight levels as I progress, and the small drops in weight are a mental boost as well as keeping me over a certain threshold I'd otherwise be below. But then again, this is a trial run so we'll see how it works after a month or so.
Do you always use reverse grip?

Old 04-04-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
By lighter weight I mean maxing at 2 plates on each side. So 225. It's a weight where my form feels "comfortable" but I really don't feel like I'm pushing myself. My butt moves up before the bar does, almost like I'm starting too low. However, when this happens I really feel it in my lower back and I don't want to be straining anything.
Perhaps go up in smaller intervals. If you're good on 225 you may be able to handle 245 without sacrificing form. If not try 235. Adjust to slightly higher weights as you go and before long 275 will be to you what 225 is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Do you always use reverse grip?
Pretty much, unless I'm doing straight or stiff leg DL. But I never get too heavy on either of those, so I can handle the over grip with both hands on those lifts. When I do sumo the reverse grip is the difference between controlling the lift or losing it

Old 04-04-2016, 06:42 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times
Quote:
Perhaps go up in smaller intervals. If you're good on 225 you may be able to handle 245 without sacrificing form. If not try 235. Adjust to slightly higher weights as you go and before long 275 will be to you what 225 is now.

Pretty much, unless I'm doing straight or stiff leg DL. But I never get too heavy on either of those, so I can handle the over grip with both hands on those lifts. When I do sumo the reverse grip is the difference between controlling the lift or losing it
Try using overhand as much as you can. Your grip strength can actually limit your max lift and the reverse is itself a limiter.

Farmers walks also help build crazy grip strength

Old 04-04-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Try using overhand as much as you can. Your grip strength can actually limit your max lift and the reverse is itself a limiter.
I've given it a shot and the trade off to be gained (there's some give and take and advantages/disadvantages vary with the individual) is simply not worth it to me. I've grown up with reverse grip and aside from the lifts specified prefer to stick with what feels more natural to me.

Quote:
Farmers walks also help build crazy grip strength
It's interesting you say this. I started using a trap bar for shrugs, so the hold is very similar to a farmer's walk. This has really helped with grip as well. Hammer curls are another good grip building exercise.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:21 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post

Are you starting too low?

It sounds like you might be doing "stripper" pulls, where your butt shoots up first and you end up nearly doing a Romanian/stiff-legged deadlift. Yes, this forces your lower back into performing the vast majority of the work for the lift.

Perhaps you're letting your lower back and abs stay too loose during the first part of your pull?

Any chance you can snag a cell phone vid of you doing a lift so we can all see?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness