Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2018, 10:50 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,019,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You don't like gyms, we get it. I happen to enjoy going to my gym, and guess what I can afford it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Exactly.

Try applying for a job where I work: Donated second-hand retail.

You'll lose more weight and become more fit, esp. during your first year, plus get paid for it! Enough to cancel that gym owner's 47foot yacht mortgage you both are helping pay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 11:12 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,771,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Try applying for a job where I work: Donated second-hand retail.

You'll lose more weight and become more fit, esp. during your first year, plus get paid for it! Enough to cancel that gym owner's 47foot yacht mortgage you both are helping pay!
Good for you! WOW!
Well I dont have to work a ****ty job in order to lose weight. I can afford to go the the gym which I enjoy.
Also I dont care that the gym is making money off of me. Businesses make money off of customers - that is how it works.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:21 AM

9,297 posts, read 8,211,455 times
Quote:
Good for you! WOW!
Well I dont have to work a ****ty job in order to lose weight. I can afford to go the the gym which I enjoy.
Also I dont care that the gym is making money off of me. Businesses make money off of customers - that is how it works.
Yes, based on this logic you would never pay for any goods or services because it would make the recipient money.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Good for you! WOW!

And customers deriving real, quantifiable benefit from spending that money is also how it works, to be sure.

By the way I take responsibility for my career going in the toilet: I quit, for no good reason in 2011, a job where I worked half as hard for twice the pay, due to some rough time that we ALL go through eventually - such as death of a parent/parents, and the stress of estate matters, etc. I just cracked, and resigned. Now, at 48, male, white, I face high barriers to re-entry into that corporate-based sector.

So I'm not proud of having gone to the bottom of the job ladder - retail worker - while actively seeking re-entry into(and repeatedly being declined for) an office/corporate role for over four years now. But it has kept my weight in check, and my blood pressure high.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:36 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,306,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
1. The guy who thinks every machine/bench is "his" and will literally stand and stare at you with an annoyed look if you DARE use any of the 13 machines/benches/weights that he has laid claim to that day. Often leaves various items at each station to mark his territory..
The gym should not allow this. I've seen the same thing too, someone leaves a towel or cell phone on gym equipment, it lays there for 10-15 minutes while they're doing something else. I also had someone try to order me off a machine while they were using another machine because they said they were "getting ready to use" the one I was on, and I refused. Just tell them "NO". If someone isn't on a machine they can't reserve it.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:39 PM

9,297 posts, read 8,211,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The gym should not allow this. I've seen the same thing too, someone leaves a towel or cell phone on gym equipment, it lays there for 10-15 minutes while they're doing something else. I also had someone try to order me off a machine while they were using another machine because they said they were "getting ready to use" the one I was on, and I refused. Just tell them "NO". If someone isn't on a machine they can't reserve it.
I totally agree. My first response is to usually ask them if they'd like to work in with me. These "types" typically won't do that. But if they are extremely rude about it I like your response....'NO'......doesn't give them any room for interpretation.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:44 PM

3,011 posts, read 6,285,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Well, I typically workout in the early a.m. before the gym is staffed so doing that really isn't an option. However, I have no problems going to any area of the gym I need to in order to get my workout done. Lately, I have even started to actively try and go to one of "his" areas just to let him know I could care less about his perceived territoriality, I want him to know I won't be that guy who is intimidated by him. It does't stop him from sort of hovering around me while I lift, but the way around that is to look him square in his eye and ask "Do you need something?".
Good stuff!

Old 07-10-2018, 04:41 PM

2,872 posts, read 2,039,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
And customers deriving real, quantifiable benefit from spending that money is also how it works, to be sure.

By the way I take responsibility for my career going in the toilet: I quit, for no good reason in 2011, a job where I worked half as hard for twice the pay, due to some rough time that we ALL go through eventually - such as death of a parent/parents, and the stress of estate matters, etc. I just cracked, and resigned. Now, at 48, male, white, I face high barriers to re-entry into that corporate-based sector.

So I'm not proud of having gone to the bottom of the job ladder - retail worker - while actively seeking re-entry into(and repeatedly being declined for) an office/corporate role for over four years now. But it has kept my weight in check, and my blood pressure high.
Sounds like a lot of stress.

Have you considered working it off at the gym?

Old 07-10-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Sounds like a lot of stress.

Have you considered working it off at the gym?

On my salary?

And besides, at the end of a shift the only things I feel like working off are the sheets to get into bed! Like I said, donated second-hand retail: perpetually under-staffed, constant call outs 'sick', 3 cars at a time drive up to the donation door - do you think most people just donate a couple small bags or boxes on the front seat??

He|| No! The typical donor vehicle is packed, floor to ceiling, front passenger seat, back seat, trunk or hatch! Takes ten minutes to unload. Oh did I mention the other two that just drove up, equally packed? And there's at most two donatation attendants, typically only one, scheduled at a time, and they're supposed to roll out a frickn bin to these cars, load all the stuff in it, bring it in, sort all the shoes from books from clothes from broken CD players and bric a brac, mean while another car just rolled up, all the rolling bins are full of donations from the first three. Catch your breath because after one of the cars leaves... beep - beep - BEEP - BEEP! It's a 30' MOVING VAN backing in with a HOUSE LOAD OF FRICKN FURNITURE!

That's just part of what I do for a living, so no, I'm the last person you'll see near a gym!

Can you believe I quit my dream job, God Himself gave me, then took two years off to recoup, to come back to work doing THIS?

Old 07-10-2018, 08:01 PM

2,872 posts, read 2,039,050 times
I hope things turn the corner for you soon. Take care man....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness