Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 01:05 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,792,207 times

Advertisements

So this past week I was diagnosed with a certain gastrointestinal condition making my diet pretty much limited to fruits and vegetables at least for the next couple of months (and even so I am excluded from eating acidic fruits and veggies, so that eliminates oranges, grapefruits, tomatoes, etc).

I was also on the verge of signing up for a personal trainer, after having a free introductory session in which the trainer really pushed me hard. However I am now questioning whether I should sign up now, or wait a couple of months until I am able to incorporate protein back into my diet, as I know the personal trainers at my gym favor strength training. Currently I mostly take classes ranging from kickboxing to pilates and do the eliptical, however given the diet I will be on for the next couple of months, I am afraid of losing lean muscle mass. So just wanted to get some suggestions, on what would be the best way to maintain or even build muscle while being on a pretty restrictive diet of solely fruits and vegetables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 03:59 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,667,990 times
Are you restricted on the amont of protein you can consume total or just from animal sources? If the latter, you can find quite a bit of protein from vegetable sources.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:09 PM

1,962 posts, read 931,899 times
Well, protein is a requirement for maintaining and developing muscle mass. You need to aim for fruits and vegetables high in protein. Your best options are peanuts, peanut butter, beans (red, black, kidney, great northern, soybeans, lima beans, etc.), broccoli, tofu (bean curd), just to name several.

Can you consume supplements such as whey protein?

Old 02-25-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Are you restricted on the amont of protein you can consume total or just from animal sources? If the latter, you can find quite a bit of protein from vegetable sources.
Just from animal sources. I can have any non-acidic vegetables, I'm thinking avocados will probably be my new best friend!

Old 02-25-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Well, protein is a requirement for maintaining and developing muscle mass. You need to aim for fruits and vegetables high in protein. Your best options are peanuts, peanut butter, beans (red, black, kidney, great northern, soybeans, lima beans, etc.), broccoli, tofu (bean curd), just to name several.

Can you consume supplements such as whey protein?
Can't have any sort of nuts or beans, but I can have broccoli.

I can probably take supplements in forms of pills, but not as shakes. Not sure if whey protein comes as a pill?

Old 02-25-2016, 10:51 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,725,007 times
If just for a couple of months, I would not even worry about it.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:27 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,828,808 times
BCAA's should help. I like Extend (Grape or Watermelon). YMMV.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:34 PM

1,962 posts, read 931,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
Just from animal sources. I can have any non-acidic vegetables, I'm thinking avocados will probably be my new best friend!
Well, avocados aren't high in protein. Though they are high in monounsaturated fat and fiber. Avocados can also help lower LDL cholesterol if eaten for an extended time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I agree with this. Don't stress over it. Eat, recover, and live life.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:27 PM

1 posts, read 709 times
I have ulcerative colitis which limits the foods I can eat. I would suggest cooking your vegtables. For me at least, eating raw vegtables upset my stomach. Also beans and vegtables like broccoli or Brussels sprouts have a good amount of protein. Sweet potatoes for carbs, and avocados for fat.
Check out my site for more info. organicstrngth.com

Old 02-28-2016, 09:33 AM

10,458 posts, read 7,581,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, I agree.

OP, if you're looking for nutritious fruits, SE Asia's "King of Fruits" is worth a try.

Durian is even more caloric than avocado, has the highest protein content of any fruit, and is not acidic.

Amount Per 1 fruit (602 g)
Calories 885
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g 49%
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 12 mg 0%
Potassium 2,625 mg 75%
Total Carbohydrate 163 g 54%
Dietary fiber 23 g 92%
Protein 9 g 18%
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 197%
Calcium 3% Iron 14%
Vitamin B-6 95% Vitamin B-12 0%
Magnesium 45%

Last edited by Arktikos; 02-28-2016 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: specs for durian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness