Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 03:59 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
Why would you subject yourself to two hours of misery every other day "for yourself" when you could be doing something that is more self-serving?

Some people probably do somewhat enjoy lifting weights but that is a very small minority with twisted interests and even this enjoyment is just a by-product of the primary benefit that lifting weights will offer you(more attention). Overall lifting weights is monotonous, boring and simply a necessary chore that must be done in order to harness the best of what your genetics has to offer. I don't see how anyone can pick lifting weights monotonously in a sterile, cold gym .
Then do not envy the hot-bod muscle boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 05:12 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Bro, stay out of the gym. You clearly have self loathing and jealousy of the rest of us who look good.
This x 10.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:18 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
People have all kinds of reason for lifting weights. I'm not going to attempt to understand anyone else's reasons. I personally have several reasons myself, and yes, my appearance is part of it. It's not my only reason and truthfully not even a top 3. But it is a reason. But "receiving respect and attraction" as a byproduct has nothing to do with it. I don't naturally respect someone else based solely off appearance so why would I expect anyone to do it for me?
When I started lifting regularly at the age of 20, looks were definitely a motivator. The older I've gotten, the more I've learned the truth in Ftbll's point about how you really gain respect.

I'm 60 now, and haven't worked out in a gym in years, but still do a variety of strength training routines at home (mix it up every so often to keep it from getting tedious). Looks are actually still a motivator, but these days it's mainly about staying fit, active, and physically young.

Even at the age of 20, a combination of lifting and running was part of a comprehensive drive to improve myself and my outlook during kind of a down time in my life. And throughout those 40 years from then to now, I've actually enjoyed the feel of hefting something heavy, and the tingle in the muscles I feel when I use them regularly.

And there's this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
YOh, and as for those other activities...how do you know we don't? How do you know we don't hike or kayak or any of those other recreational activities . . . You shouldn't make assumptions about people.
Would rep you Ftbll, but gotta spread some (true for several people whose posts in this thread I'd rep if I could). As Ftbll points out, it's not either/or. I follow a basic strength regimen, but you'll also find me walking outside in all kinds of weather, tromping through the woods in the snow, working in the yard, shoveling the driveway, hiking up mountains, rowing and kayaking on the water, swimming in whatever water I have access to--pool, lake, ocean, wherever I can find water to swim in.

Actually, the strength work helps with these other activities when I'm pushing hard enough for them to be especially strenuous--yet another motivation to do some lifting.

Last edited by ogre; 02-25-2016 at 08:28 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 08:23 PM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Why would you subject yourself to two hours of misery every other day "for yourself" when you could be doing something that is more self-serving?

Some people probably do somewhat enjoy lifting weights but that is a very small minority with twisted interests and even this enjoyment is just a by-product of the primary benefit that lifting weights will offer you(more attention). Overall lifting weights is monotonous, boring and simply a necessary chore that must be done in order to harness the best of what your genetics has to offer. I don't see how anyone can pick lifting weights monotonously in a sterile, cold gym over taking a hike through nature where all your senses are actively engaged and enriched by lush greenery, salt-tinged oceans or any other natural beauty that was meant for us to actually enjoy.

Lifting weights is a self-consuming activity with a primary goal of increasing your stock value, plain and simple. If you didn't care about what other people thought then there are millions of other activities to engage in that would give you PRIMARILY pleasure AND a nice exercise all at the same time...playing with your dog, kayaking, rock climbing, surfing, basketball, soccer, swimming, etc.

Let's not even get into the amount of stress that people go through to calculate their meals and amount of nutrition that they need to consume for "gains." Nobody enjoys this crap and if you do then you are a masochistic fool.
"Increasing my stock value"? LOL. I've been lifting/working out/running for longer than you have been alive, most likely. I do it to stay strong. It makes my life easier. It will most likely make old age far more enjoyable.

Your post sounds like you are either terribly uneducated, or very insecure and bitter.

Ah...there it is.
Bodybuilding has affected my self esteem

Old 02-26-2016, 01:15 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,684 times
In addition to all of the other answers posted, weight training is anything but miserable. It's therapeutic and euphoric. There are barely any activities in our modern, sedentary, society that allows you to strain your muscle groups and increase air intake in any regular frequency. Leaving work for a trip to the gym, and channeling my stress into a vigorous workout, used to be the highlight of my day (these days I perform exercises at home). The likelihood that other people share the opinion of the OP on physical fitness is a shame-- if not for themselves, for those who enjoy weight training.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:20 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,967,061 times
Believe it or not OP people can lift weights for themselves. I'm not taking a shot at you with what I'm about to say next, its just an observation. Your post screams out "I'm young, I know it all and if anyone else thinks otherwise are fools." As you get older you will realize just how varied peoples ideas, perception, morals and motivation really is. Its staggering really. This is why in an election a margin of win by more then 3% of votes is a landslide.

Anyway back to weightlifting. In the past I did it to appeal to others. However, currently I do it purely because I would hate to look at myself in the mirror and see my belly popping out. So yes I do it for for myself. And there are other less monotonous activities I could do but I love efficiency. Therefore, low rep high intensity weightlifting is the fastest way for me to burn calories and get back to other things.

Believe it or not its not stressful at all for me to calculate my calories, macronutrients and meals. I actually ENJOY this part of staying fit more then actually working out. There's nothing "masochistic" about that either. For you to assume that is pretty naïve. I have been calculating my meals for so long that it literally takes me no effort/time to do this.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:05 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times
I love nature but outdoor activities not work me hard enough. I don't consider hiking or even kayaking a workout. Lifting is one of the only things that keeps me sane. It has helped improve my posture and confidence dramatically. Even if I feel like crap or don't feel confident at least I don't look like it (talking about body language and posture too..)

Old 02-26-2016, 07:28 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Quote:

Some people probably do somewhat enjoy lifting weights but that is a very small minority with twisted interests and even this enjoyment is just a by-product of the primary benefit that lifting weights will offer you(more attention). Overall lifting weights is monotonous, boring and simply a necessary chore that must be done in order to harness the best of what your genetics has to offer. I don't see how anyone can pick lifting weights monotonously in a sterile, cold gym over taking a hike through nature where all your senses are actively engaged and enriched by lush greenery, salt-tinged oceans or any other natural beauty that was meant for us to actually enjoy.

Lifting weights is a self-consuming activity with a primary goal of increasing your stock value, plain and simple. If you didn't care about what other people thought then there are millions of other activities to engage in that would give you PRIMARILY pleasure AND a nice exercise all at the same time...playing with your dog, kayaking, rock climbing, surfing, basketball, soccer, swimming, etc.

Let's not even get into the amount of stress that people go through to calculate their meals and amount of nutrition that they need to consume for "gains." Nobody enjoys this crap and if you do then you are a masochistic fool.

Strength is part of being healthy. Sure it's not the only facet, but it is an important one. Weight training happens to be one of the most efficient methods of strength training. If you don't like weight training you can be a minimalist and get it down to 30 min 2-3 times a week.

As for your thoughts on motivation. You have a lot to learn. I HATE let me repeat HATE stretching. Yet I stretch 30 min or so 4-6 days per week. Why? To increase my "stock" value? NO. I stretch because if I don't my back gets to paining me. I stretch to feel good. But I still hate stretching.

Quote:
I'm not against lifting weights in order to improve your looks and attraction. I'm against people who claim that they lift weights for themselves when they clearly do it because they want to look better and, in turn, receive the respect, admiration, attention from other humans. Don't come here and act like looks don't matter, and you don't care if you look better or not, by lifting weights.

The whole point of lifting weights is increasing your musculature. This is what lifting weights does. It causes micro ruptures on the muscle fibers, which the body will repair, resulting in bigger and stronger muscles over time. Society has defined a muscular low body fat body, as the pinnacle of male beauty. This is why men lift weights. They want to increase their attractiveness, so don't be a hypocrite, and say that you only lift weights for yourself, and you don't care what others think of your appereance.

Many will argue, well, I lift weights for health, WRONG, you don't have to lift heavy weights to improve your health and physical stamina/endurance/cardiovascular health. There are many other of activities and exercises, which will keep you at top health for years to come, that don't involve lifting weights.

These people are only trying to make themselves feel more human and good-hearted than they actually are. They care about looks and the opinions of others, just anybody else.

We have different views on this. The point of lifting weights is gaining strength.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:32 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I love nature but outdoor activities not work me hard enough. I don't consider hiking or even kayaking a workout. Lifting is one of the only things that keeps me sane. It has helped improve my posture and confidence dramatically. Even if I feel like crap or don't feel confident at least I don't look like it (talking about body language and posture too..)
In the spring I do a lot of yard work and landscaping around my house. It's an ongoing project and a lot of fun, and definitely hard work. I live in Virginia and our yard is all rock and clay so the projects various phases involve a lot of soil moving. Contrary to what OP may believe, my weight training (especially squats and deadlifts) is a huge enabler to this effort and many other activities I pursue.

Kayaking can be a workout, but I have small kids so it is rarely a workout more so than a purely recreational pastime. However I have been able to use it as a workout going upstream a few times or just trying to go as fast as you can as long as you can. Same applies for SUP boarding.

Regarding the bolded, you're absolutely right. I think one of the single biggest benefits I've noticed since I shifted weights to my primary means of fitness (~late winter, 2014) is that doing barbell rows has greatly improved my posture. When I transitioned from running to weights I wasn't a novice in the weight room but it was only an augment to my running oriented programs. I had knee surgery in May of that year and spent the entire summer cautiously rehabbing and researching better ways to train. By fall I had refined my training approach primarily to a strength oriented program. The barbell rows, in just a few months of doing them, corrected a slight curve in my upper spine. While there is an inherent "appearance" benefit to this, that pales in comparison to the general health benefit achieved. OP would be wise to recognize his own assumptions are extremely limited and until he opens up his scope of understanding it's better he keeps his mouth shut (unless to ask questions rather than pontificate) so he doesn't appear as foolish as he does.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:35 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Very narrow minded thinking. People lift weights for many reasons, health, fitness, stress reducer. And yes to look good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness