Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 07:18 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,807,968 times

Advertisements

I don't think anybody is putting much weight on what this woman is saying, she sounds senile (especially if she needs to quote Dr oz).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 07:21 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,226 times
Cheryl Tiegs is basically getting slammed because she didn't have the "correct" opinion. This is what we've become as a society. If you voice an opinion (even when asked and not volunteered) and it's not an opinion that is sanctioned by the PC-Police, you get slammed and maligned for it.
She was ASKED her opinion and she gave it in a way that was not mean or intended to be hurtful and she went out of her way to remark how beautiful the model is. Was she supposed to stand there and lie?

I have respect for Cheryl Tiegs for being honest. We need more of that. People are waaaay too sensitive and easily offended today.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:37 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
I am willing to consider the full context of where and how Tiegs came to make her statement...a trolling, schidt-stirring E! reporter, at a pre-Oscar party, wording the question specifically to garner the exact response that we got.
Oh I agree! It was a loaded question that there was only one "right" answer to. The so-called reporter was basically trying to see if Cheryl Tiegs was onboard with the politically correct bandwagon.

I'll take it a step further to Sports Illustrated itself. If anyone thinks they ran the cover to "empower woman of all shapes and sizes" they are delusional. SI knows that in today's day and age with the internet and the ability to dial up any picture you choose, seeing athletic women in bikinis is not going to get much attention. There has to be a gimmick involved, Rhonda Rousey being bodypainted or a larger than typical model, like Ashley Graham.

They didn't do it to empower larger women, they did because they knew damn well that it would generate the attention it has.

It's a win-win for Sports Illustrated! They get the attention that the controversy brings AND they get to look like the hero for being politically correct, progressive and up-with-the-times for "supporting" all body sizes.

The real outrage here should not be what Cheryl Tiegs said but that women like Ashley Graham are essentially being used as a marketing stunt by Sports Illustrated to troll for controversy and attention.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:40 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,115,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
If you had bothered to google Chery Tiegs you would have found that she is 68. And that the picture used is not at all representative of her current look, in addition to horrible lighting, I suspect that picture is photoshopped by someone to make her look bad, or was taken shortly after an illness or surgery.

As far as Ashley Graham, 34" is a huge waist for a young woman. Mine is 31" and I am 6'1". I saw the cover photo of her, it is very criticism worthy given it is a sports magazine that promotes healthy life styles, imo.

eta: Reminds me when I was a kid, I would read the letters to the editor in SI, after the swimsuit edition, they would always include a couple that said that they were cancelling their subuld be some letters claiming they were cancelling their subscription because fat women in bikinis had no businessscription because women in bikinis had no business being in a sports magazine. I would expect this year there wo being on the cover of a sports magazine.
34" must have a been a typo. Her measurements are listed as 38/29/45. Those are great measurements for a nearly 5'10" woman.
Ford Models Ashley Graham :Height 5' 9.5" Bust 38 D Waist 29.5 Hips 45

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...35-inches.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Mail
The 68-year-old, who is best known for her sexy Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue editorials, boldly stated that full-figured models aren't healthy because waist circumference shouldn't be larger than 35 inches - but according to Ford Models, Ashley's stomach is only 29.5 inches.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:14 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Cheryl Tiegs is basically getting slammed because she didn't have the "correct" opinion. This is what we've become as a society. If you voice an opinion (even when asked and not volunteered) and it's not an opinion that is sanctioned by the PC-Police, you get slammed and maligned for it.
She was ASKED her opinion and she gave it in a way that was not mean or intended to be hurtful and she went out of her way to remark how beautiful the model is. Was she supposed to stand there and lie?

I have respect for Cheryl Tiegs for being honest. We need more of that. People are waaaay too sensitive and easily offended today.
Exactly. She wasn't rude about her opinion, and she actually said the right thing: Ms. Graham is overweight, and it's unhealthy. It's ironic many of those who are bashing Tiegs for saying Ashley is overweight are bashing her for not having plastic surgery

Old 02-28-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Oh I agree! It was a loaded question that there was only one "right" answer to. The so-called reporter was basically trying to see if Cheryl Tiegs was onboard with the politically correct bandwagon.

I'll take it a step further to Sports Illustrated itself. If anyone thinks they ran the cover to "empower woman of all shapes and sizes" they are delusional. SI knows that in today's day and age with the internet and the ability to dial up any picture you choose, seeing athletic women in bikinis is not going to get much attention. There has to be a gimmick involved, Rhonda Rousey being bodypainted or a larger than typical model, like Ashley Graham.

They didn't do it to empower larger women, they did because they knew damn well that it would generate the attention it has.

It's a win-win for Sports Illustrated! They get the attention that the controversy brings AND they get to look like the hero for being politically correct, progressive and up-with-the-times for "supporting" all body sizes.

The real outrage here should not be what Cheryl Tiegs said but that women like Ashley Graham are essentially being used as a marketing stunt by Sports Illustrated to troll for controversy and attention.
No, that's the nature of the business. Models are used for marketing, nobody is forcing her to be a model, if she feels used she doesn't have to do it. I'm guessing she's ok with it.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. She wasn't rude about her opinion, and she actually said the right thing: Ms. Graham is overweight, and it's unhealthy. It's ironic many of those who are bashing Tiegs for saying Ashley is overweight are bashing her for not having plastic surgery
Ashley Graham is overweight, there's no debate there. I think it's the assumption that she's unhealthy that is getting a lot of people miffed. I can understand if she was morbidly obese, but she doesn't seem to be. I have friends who are thinner than me, but I am way healthier than they are. So to assume a stick thin model is the epitome of health (as was the deal in the 90's) is just ridiculous, especially since most of these models were doing every drug under the sun! Also most of the size zero models you see don't spend lots of time in the gym, they maintain they're bodies by barely eating.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:41 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,423,982 times
Cheryl Tiegs wins. That is all.

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Marka; 03-04-2016 at 01:19 AM..

Old 02-28-2016, 11:50 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,996,892 times
Quote:

So wait a second, here...She is allowed to give an answer but nobody is allowed to voice their opinions on her answer?

Look, I have absolutely no use whatsoever for political correctness. None at all. I get that she was asked a question and gave her honest opinion. But understand that's not where public discourse stops. It's not like we all have to sit back and say, "She gave her opinion and that's that with that topic." Nope. We are all free to form opinions of her opinion and voice them accordingly. And in my opinion using the "it doesn't promote healthy lifestyles" line is a steaming heap of manure and as such think Tiegs sounds like a bitter old has-been. It's just my opinion and likely carries no weight at all with anyone else and that doesn't bother me in the least bit. But to form this opinion doesn't mean she's "getting slammed" for an un-PC answer.

Quote:
Why does this only apply to women like Graham? Is not the SI Swimsuit Issue using women in general as a marketing stunt? If it's "the real outrage" as it applies to one, it's "the real outrage" as it applies to all women because their bodies are being very much objectified simply by the existence of the swimsuit magazine. I fail to see how just "women like Ashley Graham" are being used as a marketing stunt. Perhaps you can clear up how others included are not being used as a marketing stunt?

Old 02-28-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Cheryl Tiegs wins. That is all.
To each his own, it's about preference. Lots of people out there would prefer Ashley over Cheryl and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness