Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 05:58 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,773,496 times

Advertisements

At what point would drinking ruin all your efforts of achieving your goals?

I work out 6 days a week and usually tend to stay around 1700-1800 calories with a 40:40:30 macro count. But on days I drink, the calories jump up to around 2200-2500. I usually have about 3-5 liquor drinks (1-2x a week) and then I get hungry/the munchies or hungover and need more carbs/fat than usual. I'm starting to think drinking is ruining my efforts of getting a 6 pack. I'm trying to figure out how much I should cut back so that I can still imbibe but not throw all my efforts down the toilet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 06:10 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Drink scotch. More bang for the calorie.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:36 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
imo - drinking alcohol in higher amounts is one of the very worst things you can do if you're trying to add muscle and/or stay lean. A glass of wine or a beer or two here and there isn't going to hurt you (and can even be beneficial); however, beyond that you're simply adding empty calories, ruining your sleep/rest and dehydrating yourself and your muscles which can derail any gains made.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:43 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
1700-1800 calories a day on a 40:30:30 diet sounds pretty low... but then again we don't know height/weight.

what is your basal metabolic?

Alcohol does hinder protein synthesis but, like almost everything else, in moderation won't hinder much.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:52 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
like almost everything else, in moderation won't hinder much.
True, but at the same time if OP knows that when she drinks she tends to snack immoderately, then cutting back on (or cutting out) the booze is pretty simple way to cut calories and stay on track.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:14 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,773,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
1700-1800 calories a day on a 40:30:30 diet sounds pretty low... but then again we don't know height/weight.

what is your basal metabolic?

Alcohol does hinder protein synthesis but, like almost everything else, in moderation won't hinder much.
I'm 5'4 and weigh 129lbs. My BMR is 1385.35.

The problem with drinking is I have a problem with moderation. I don't drink beer or wine either, I like whiskey mainly. And I usually start with a double.

I'm having a hard time cutting it out cold turkey and drinking it in moderation when I do drink. I'm thinking of having a shot of whiskey on the rocks every few days so that I won't go overboard on one or two days and hopefully that will help me cut back on the snacking.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:38 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post

The problem with drinking is I have a problem with moderation. I don't drink beer or wine either, I like whiskey mainly. And I usually start with a double.

I'm having a hard time cutting it out cold turkey and drinking it in moderation when I do drink. I'm thinking of having a shot of whiskey on the rocks every few days so that I won't go overboard on one or two days and hopefully that will help me cut back on the snacking.
A lot of people have a problem with 'moderation', so youre not alone. If people have the willpower to adhere to moderation, they wouldn't be consuming something bad in the first place, imo. Its like telling a someone that crack cocaine is ok, if done in moderation (everything in moderation) Lol.

Anyways, OP. If you're having a difficult time with alcohol (which it seems you do) you might want to seek some professional help.

Btw: I haven't had a sip of alcohol since my late teens (stuff is poison)

Old 02-28-2016, 09:49 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
I drink a glass or 2 of wine most nights.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:36 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
At what point would drinking ruin all your efforts of achieving your goals?

I work out 6 days a week and usually tend to stay around 1700-1800 calories with a 40:40:30 macro count. But on days I drink, the calories jump up to around 2200-2500. I usually have about 3-5 liquor drinks (1-2x a week) and then I get hungry/the munchies or hungover and need more carbs/fat than usual. I'm starting to think drinking is ruining my efforts of getting a 6 pack. I'm trying to figure out how much I should cut back so that I can still imbibe but not throw all my efforts down the toilet.
Quote:

It sound like you have cone to a realization that you have a drinking problem and you can't control it. So I think you're asking the wrong question, "At what point would drinking ruin all your efforts of achieving your goals?" Obviously the extra calories will make it difficult to get a 6 pack. The more important question is what the alcohol is doing to your life and what it is capable of doing in the future.

Are you really asking if you're wasting your time working out since you can't control your drinking? I think working out and alcohol consumption are two separate issues. Controlling alcohol consumption is very difficult for some people and it ends up controlling their lives and killing them. These type of people usually don't work out. I would never recommend stopping your workout program even if you continue to drink the way you describe. I do recommend you try to confront your drinking.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 02-28-2016 at 10:50 AM..

Old 02-28-2016, 10:41 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
I work out 4-5 times a week and I'm a 5'6", 115 lb, 45 yo female. I drink about 4-5 drinks per week. When I relocated, I started spending a lot of time sitting outside on an almost daily basis on our lovely back porch overlooking the water and had 1-2 drinks per night, usually wine or Crown and seven. Prior to that, drinking was something I reserved only for the weekends.

I noticed I almost immediately put on 4-5 lbs despite having the same (or very similar) diet and exercise habits. I chalked up this difference up to the increased drinking and occasional snacking I was doing, and discontinued drinking during the week. Within 2 weeks, I was back down to what had been my normal weight for several years, and that's where I am now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness