Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 11:44 AM

205 posts, read 572,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I see we have someone who didnt read the OPs post about what he's looking for. The ONLY art you mentioned that may be a good fit based on what he mentioned is Judo. Providing that he learns it from someone entrenched in the history and tradition of real judo.
Yes, I would like to see the history behind it, learn from it, embrace it and have a deeper connection with it rather than just showing up to class.

What I have come up with based on readings:

Wing Chung
Kung Fu
Aikido
Taekwondo
Shorinji Kempo
kyokushin karate (based on the aspect of self-improvement while enforcing discipline)

I have studied Bushido for some time and I try and life by that set of standards and I believe I could easily implement these within a martial art of choice, if no other reason than to help with my success of that art.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 11:46 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,831 times
Judo. But i'm biased.

It fulfils all of your requirements, plus it's actually practical and competition based. Failing that bjj, but you won't get so much 'tradition'.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:51 AM

596 posts, read 982,855 times
The best choice for most beginners is to find a school that is close to where you live and that has a comfortable atmosphere. These things are actually more important than the specific style. You could train in the best style in the world, but if you dread going to class and/or it's far from home it will be more likely that you will quit. Then that "best style" will not do you any good. After you gain some experience and self-knowledge, then you can branch out into other styles (if you desire).

Also a typical class is usually about 1 hour long, so the instructor will not have much time to lecture about things like history and esoteric concepts. If you are interested in these things then you should read about them on the side.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:23 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfOnABoat View Post
Yes, I would like to see the history behind it, learn from it, embrace it and have a deeper connection with it rather than just showing up to class.

What I have come up with based on readings:

Wing Chung
Kung Fu
Aikido
Taekwondo
Shorinji Kempo
kyokushin karate (based on the aspect of self-improvement while enforcing discipline)

I have studied Bushido for some time and I try and life by that set of standards and I believe I could easily implement these within a martial art of choice, if no other reason than to help with my success of that art.
All good choices, except for the tae kwon do. Now the trick is to find someone who is actually a good teacher in those arts near you. Also, Wing Chun IS a form of kung fu. There are many different types of kung fu (more than any other type art) so again, finding one that you like could be a challenge, especially if there are a number of different schools near you.

You studied Bushido? How?

Old 03-06-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:

You studied Bushido? How?
Nothing more than reading several books.

Reading books on Hagakure and the art of the Samurai followed up by books on Bushido and the Way of the Samurai. Also the Code of the Samurai, Art of War (Just another book than doesn't have to be used for its intended purpose)... Probably ten or so books.

Nothing more than books and/or my own research but these readings can easily be put into practice in everyday life!

Old 03-06-2016, 02:03 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Personally I highly recommend aikido. The art itself is really not about being a badass at all. It is a fascinating study of body mechanics and conflict resolution without aggression. It offers some good exercise and the additional benefit of learning to handle all kinds of falling down which is probably a more valuable life skill than wining a fight. Not many people find themselves in street fights but everyone falls down from time to time and this become a bigger danger as we age.

Also in aikido you will find people still able to practice after 40-50 years of training because the art does not destroy a person's body. I have worked out with people in their 70's. I myself took up aikido as a very overweight 39 year old female with no athletic background. I got my black belt this past summer and continue to learn and grow in the art. I have found what I learn on the mat to be incredibly helpful in common life situations no necessarily of the physically violent variety.

I would highly recommend it if you have a dojo available in your area. If you have several visit them all and see which best fits your personality. Don't worry so much about the style of the art as how the overall personality of the teachers and students feels to you.

As for how to chose an art. Well learn a bit about each of the ones you are interested in. Visit local dojos and observe the classes. Ask them about their linage. In any martial art there is a linage. The teacher should be able t tel you about their teacher and their teachers teacher back to the founding of the art.

Ask them about the training syllabus. How often do they test. How much do they charge for testing. What are the responsibilities of the members of the dojo? Get a feel for the personality of the dojo. A dojo is much like a family with the senior students helping the junior students and the more senior students often assisting the dojo cho.

Ask them about the etiquette. Are they very formal very relaxed or somewhere in between?

Ask what their dues and uniform requirements are.

You may need to try a few arts before finding the right fit for you. Most will allow you to try a class or two before joining. In my own dojo we require people to observe a class before they are invited to come and try a couple. You should feel welcome and people should want to help you to learn. There should be no bullying behavior. One is not better or worse than another. You have to find one that fits your personal needs and what you find interesting.

Depending on the size of the dojo you may or may not have one on one time with the head instructors but at least those teaching a class should be giving you some personal attention.

Most of all when you leave you should feel like you can't wait to go back and do it some more.

Last edited by shadowfax; 03-06-2016 at 02:13 PM..

Old 03-06-2016, 02:14 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfOnABoat View Post
Nothing more than reading several books.

Reading books on Hagakure and the art of the Samurai followed up by books on Bushido and the Way of the Samurai. Also the Code of the Samurai, Art of War (Just another book than doesn't have to be used for its intended purpose)... Probably ten or so books.

Nothing more than books and/or my own research but these readings can easily be put into practice in everyday life!
Nice. All good books. A few more I'd recommend:

"Bushido: A Warriors Code" by Nitobe.
"Living The Martial Way" by Morgan
"The Demon's Sermon on the martial arts" by Chozanshi
"The Unfettered Mind" by Soho
"Go Rin No Sho" / "Book Of Five Rings" by Musashi

All offer very good teachings on the martial arts / martial way and theories on virtues and warrior code pertaining to the martial arts that can be applied to everyday life.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:21 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
I also notice that you post in the Wisconsin forums. If you are there and near Madison Aikido of Madison is an excellent place to visit if you would like to explore Aikido as an option. John Stone and Robin Cooper are the teachers of one of my teachers and come very highly recommended.

Aikido of Madison

If this isn't your location you can use the dojo locator on aikiweb.com or PM me and I will be happy to see what I can discover for you. The aikido community is small and tight knit so everyone more or less knows or has heard of everyone once a person has been around a while.

Last edited by shadowfax; 03-06-2016 at 02:34 PM..

Old 03-06-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Nice. All good books. A few more I'd recommend:

"Bushido: A Warriors Code" by Nitobe. (Own this one)
"Living The Martial Way" by Morgan
"The Demon's Sermon on the martial arts" by Chozanshi
"The Unfettered Mind" by Soho
"Go Rin No Sho" / "Book Of Five Rings" by Musashi (Own this one)

All offer very good teachings on the martial arts / martial way and theories on virtues and warrior code pertaining to the martial arts that can be applied to everyday life.

Thank you for the reply... Will look up the other 3 books.... My amazon prime has been waiting for a purchase!

Old 03-06-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
I also notice that you post in the Wisconsin forums. If you are there and near Madison Aikido of Madison is an excellent place to visit if you would like to explore Aikido as an option. John Stone and Robin Cooper are the teachers of one of my teachers and come very highly recommended.

Aikido of Madison

If this isn't your location you can use the dojo locator on aikiweb.com or PM me and I will be happy to see what I can discover for you. The aikido community is small and tight knit so everyone more or less knows or has heard of everyone once a person has been around a while.
Probably posted in there based on an active thread from around the forum that popped up.... I am currently still in Michigan and will slowly begin my journey towards arizona in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness