Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2016, 08:38 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,530 times

Advertisements

I am approaching week 3 of my couch to 5k program -- it's 8 weeks. I'm slowing down on week 3 because it jumped from a 90 sec jog to a 3 min jog and I can't quite reach the 3 min mark (maybe 2m 30sec or 2m 45 sec I can reach). I really want to be a runner because it's an activity I can take anywhere and don't need special equipment beyond my shoes and I'm quite busy with 4 jobs.

How do I get past this? I have registered for a 5k fun run that I'm "afraid" of because of this block in the program I'm experiencing57--it's on April 16. I registered because it benefits StandUp2Cancer and my 10yo niece has terminal cancer. I'd do anything for her--including this.

I've been running on a treadmill as the weather outside isn't quite appropriate yet.

Any recommendations? I realize a "fun run" isn't exactly required to actually run the race, but I'd like to put in all I can as it's my first one. Heck, I don't even know what to wear yet but I'm excited and scared.

Any tips of advice? Words of sanity that will get me through this block and to this 5k?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 09:24 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
You can certainly repeat one or more days of Week 2 to build your stamina. Or you can follow the walk/run pattern of Week 3, running for as long as you can up to the 3 minutes, until you feel you can complete it easily. Again, repeating workouts if necessary.

Also, be sure to take a day off between workouts unless you really, really feel you are up to it. Your heart will build stamina faster than your joints and muscles adapt to the task of carrying your body through the pounding on the pavement.

If you keep running you will improve, you may just need a different arc to progress to your goals than the plan you are using dictates. Remember, it is you and your body that will make you able to run a 5k, not the program. The program is a one-size-fits-all approach, but you are free to modify it to suit your body.

As far as stressing out over an upcoming 5k, don't sweat it. It is a charity run and everyone will support you whether you run it in 30 minutes or walk for an hour. In fact I bet their will be a lot of people walking.

Just hang in there.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:08 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,665 times
You are only on the second or third week. Lots of people will repeat a week. Stay positive. Picture yourself crossing the finish line of your race. If you need to walk, so be it but keep your goal in sight.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:44 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I'd like to put in all I can
This is all that you are required to do to consider yourself successful.

If your best on the day of the race (your first 2 months in life as a runner) includes some walk breaks, it doesn't mean that you failed. This is only your first race. Rome wasn't built in a day. Don't put so much pressure on yourself. You have a lifetime of races ahead of you.**

It's totally natural to be excited and scared about your first race. You probably have an image in your head that everyone's going to look like this:

The first couple rows of people will look like that...the elite runners who are looking to place. Everyone else is a hobby runner or a charity runner just looking to do their best, whether it's an 8-minute mile or a 13-minute mile. That's the great thing about races. There is always a diverse cross section of people in attendance. And everyone is always supportive. Every race I've been to, people are cheering you on, holding up supportive signs, clapping for you, high 5-ing you...even the faster runners who finish first will go back to the sidelines to cheer on and encourage the slower runners. I can't think of any other sport where your competitors are cheering you on. So despite the stupid threads and posts on this forum always taking pot shots at runners being mentally disturbed douchebags, you can rest assured that you have nothing to be scared about.

As far as what to wear, wear whatever you are comfortable training in already. Don't buy some brand new outfit, sports bra, or shoes just for the race. You don't want to introduce anything new/unpredictable on race day. Whatever you plan on wearing on race day, buy it now and train in it. You want to break it in, and make sure that nothing chafes or is uncomfortable enough to hinder performance. That's all you have to worry about as far as clothes go. Seriously, there is going to be a very diverse cross section of people (and outfits) at the race. You don't have to worry about fitting in, or doing the wrong/right thing.

**Having said that, you have 5 more weeks of training. Why feel discouraged? Good job on getting up to 2 minutes and 30 seconds of running. Just keep doing what you're doing and you will improve.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:58 PM

305 posts, read 179,931 times
There's no shame in repeating a week, while the pace they set is a good one-size-fits-all, no body is exactly like anyone else's. If you need to do a week twice to get your endurance up, you are still working towards your goal.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:35 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,967 times
Keep at it. Do it as long as you can. I couldn't get over the 8 minutes to 20 minutes hump. So I stopped doing the program. Plus I have issues where I need to uhh wear Depends while running...

Remember, that sometimes it's the mind that says stop stop stop while the body is like let's DO this! I have no problem, shut up mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness