Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 01:10 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times

Advertisements

Hi folks! So I train with personal trainer in a group training class twice a week. I wear my heart rate monitor so I can see how many calories I'm burning and to work on getting my heart rate up. The sessions are about 1hr twice a week and I can never get more than 350 calories burned per session. I just recently got myself burning that much, prior to that I was only burning about 280 calories per session. We focus a long on strength which is great, I'm getting stronger but I also know it is important to burn calories for weight loss. (And yes, my nutrition is fine, I know it is 80-20). I want to get more out of these workouts without feeling like I'm trying to overstep my trainer or **** her off. So you can compare, when I do P90X3, the 30 minute P90X videos, I burn almost the same amount of calories in 30 minutes.
So you know, I don't just do the workout with her 2x per week, I also do the p90x3 videos 4-6x per week and I try to run about 2-4 times per week. I'm very active but I feel like when I am paying extra to work with a trainer, even in a group setting, I should get the most for my money. How would you go about burning more calories in these sessions without pissing off the trainer but telling her what you want to do v what she wants you to do?
My husband used to be a personal trainer so I have a lot of knowledge about training from him, granted, I do not claim to know anywhere near as much as him or as much as my current trainer. I joined these group training sessions to kick it up a notch and now I'm not sure if it is helping too much. I am stronger though. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 02:14 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,307 times
If your focus with your trainer is on increasing strength, why are you worried about burning calories during those sessions? If you're getting stronger, they are helping you with what your goal is. If your goal is something else, they need to know that.

Personally, it seems like you're already doing a ****-ton of cardio outside of your trainer sessions so I wouldn't worry about it.

(TBH, I'd probably tone back some of the cardio stuff... proper rest and all, but you know you and your body more than me so YMMV.)

Old 03-10-2016, 03:02 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
I agree, if strength/fitness is your goal? Then calories burned is irrelevant.

Just remember, the kitchen is where you lose weight, the gym is where you get fit /in shape.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:05 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
If your focus with your trainer is on increasing strength, why are you worried about burning calories during those sessions? If you're getting stronger, they are helping you with what your goal is. If your goal is something else, they need to know that.

Personally, it seems like you're already doing a ****-ton of cardio outside of your trainer sessions so I wouldn't worry about it.

(TBH, I'd probably tone back some of the cardio stuff... proper rest and all, but you know you and your body more than me so YMMV.)
My goals is to lose weight and get fit overall. The P90X stuff is mostly weights as well with some cardio, only two actual workouts are cardio the rest are most strength based with a ton of push ups and pull ups.
Regardless of what I do outside of my sessions, how do I talk to her about getting more out of these sessions. We often spent so much time waiting on the other person to do the deadlifts or squats or whatever, I feel like I spend more time standing around than working..

Old 03-11-2016, 06:35 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,307 times
At that point, depending on how long you've been using the trainer and how comfortable you are with the various lifts and whatnot they are having you do, perhaps question whether or not you need a trainer for the strength aspect? A lot of strength gains can be made with only a few lifts and once you master the mechanics of them, what do you need a trainer for?

I'd find a program that works for you with some alternate items you can do if racks or bars are taken and just go it alone. YMMV.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:51 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Adding muscle mass raises your BMR, so burning more/less calories within that specific hour is only seeing part of the picture.

When you are strength training, you need to recover between sets.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:54 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Hm.
My trainer and I would burn 500-800+ calories an hour, so my first guess would be that you're not pushing yourself enough.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:26 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
All trainers are different in their approach and exercises they have you do. Have you communicated with your trainer that you want to blast calories during your session? If not then you need to communicate that. Your trainer will either accommodate you or recommend someone else, or explain why they are doing what they are doing.
Weight training is more efficient in burning calories than cardio, but a good plan does both. How do you know how many calories you are burning? Its very hard to track when you are lifting weights.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:48 AM

973 posts, read 915,331 times
Weight lifting is great for burning calories because you'll be burning calories even after you leave the gym. If you wanna keep lifting w/ your trainer, then I maybe you can supplement that with high intensity interval training activities on the off days. Don't forget to add in a day of rest for your body to recup. G'luck!

Old 03-11-2016, 10:53 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
My goals is to lose weight and get fit overall. The P90X stuff is mostly weights as well with some cardio, only two actual workouts are cardio the rest are most strength based with a ton of push ups and pull ups.
Regardless of what I do outside of my sessions, how do I talk to her about getting more out of these sessions. We often spent so much time waiting on the other person to do the deadlifts or squats or whatever, I feel like I spend more time standing around than working..
280 - 350 calories would be very typical for a woman of the amount burned in an hour of weightlifting. If you're burning a lot more than that, then you're probably not doing the kind of lifting that would actually help you build a lot of strength.

Heavy lifting has a ton of physical benefits, but done properly is never going to be a super high calorie burning workout because of the required periods of rest in between sets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness