Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2016, 11:14 PM

5 posts, read 3,938 times

Advertisements

Hey City-Data!
Long time Lurker and first time poster. I'm 33 and I hate my body. I just want to make sure I have enough lean mass to cut, Think I would look decent cutting to 165? My end goal is to be 6'0 and a lean 205 but I'm sure that's a long, long ways away at this point.

I've lifted in the past but I never really paid attention to my diet and I was not consistent. I started on February 17th and things have been going well so far. I'm currently cutting to try to get down to 10% BF so I can slowly bulk without gaining much fat.

I don't really see any progress after a month, I've lost 5 lbs (Started at 195) and my lifts have gone up and I'm able to jog a 6 with a 1% incline for 4 miles on treadmill, sometimes I run outside but I've never really tracked distance, just time.

I'm currently eating 1850 Cals 45P/30F/25C, I've cut all liquid calories out. I only drink water, sometimes black coffee and usually 1 protein shake each day unless I eat a lot of chicken.

Last Month:
http://www.imgur.com/a/o0uxQ

Now:
http://www.imgur.com/BqLs2r0
http://www.imgur.com/OuYLvJp

Lifts (I weight lift every other day)

Bench - 170 4x5
Squat - 225 4x5
Deadlift 275 3x5
Bent Over Row - 165 4x5
Standing OHP (Strict) 110 4x5

A - Squats, Bent over Rows, ISOs including back stuff/bis
B - Deadlifts, Bench Press, ISOs including chest stuff and Tris
C- Squats, Calves, SOHP, Shoulder ISOs and Tris

On lifting days I run 2 miles, on the days in-between I usually run 4-5 miles and do ab/core workouts.

Any advice would be helpful!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 07:56 AM

36 posts, read 32,446 times
Your plan seams okay to me. Not perfect but nothing really jumps out at me other than your macros. I have linked a few items that should help you. But in short look into cutting your macros to something like 40/40/20. And you’re not eating enough if all your numbers are correct 195 pounds/20% BF.

A Simple and Accurate Macronutrient Calculator (and How to Use It) | Muscle For Life

How to Build Muscle and Lose Fat...at the Same Time | Muscle For Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPxwknoV_h0

Old 03-21-2016, 10:27 AM

9,858 posts, read 11,873,616 times
I don't understand this thread. Especially the first paragraph. It would have been helpful if the o.p. gave a little more insight. 6'/190 doesn't sound that bad. Even 20% bodyfat doesn't sound that bad. What type of bodyfat calculation is being done here? Caliper? Water? Electronic?

IMO a 33 y.o. unless they are a professional bodybuilder does not need to be as obsessive about diet as outlined in the o.p. The "rules" of healthy eating are well known. Also, a month is no time at all as these things go. On New Years Day of this year SO and me cut all carbs at weekday meals. We had already cut out all sugar the year before. I haven't seen any effect on my weight three months later. Nor did I expect to.

5 reps per set is not much. Either add a set to your big lifts (5x5) or raise your rep count per set and do fewer total sets, so that the actual reps per exercise comes out to (~25 - ~36). One day a week should be a real rest day. No cardio, no weights. Your biggest problem is your own impatience. This is not a sustainable program. You will run out of enthusiasm for it in a couple of months.

Relax. Get into a sustainable program of cardo, weigh training and diet management and live life.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:56 AM

35 posts, read 27,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesEight4 View Post
Hey City-Data!
Long time Lurker and first time poster. I'm 33 and I hate my body. I just want to make sure I have enough lean mass to cut, Think I would look decent cutting to 165? My end goal is to be 6'0 and a lean 205 but I'm sure that's a long, long ways away at this point.

I've lifted in the past but I never really paid attention to my diet and I was not consistent. I started on February 17th and things have been going well so far. I'm currently cutting to try to get down to 10% BF so I can slowly bulk without gaining much fat.

I don't really see any progress after a month, I've lost 5 lbs (Started at 195) and my lifts have gone up and I'm able to jog a 6 with a 1% incline for 4 miles on treadmill, sometimes I run outside but I've never really tracked distance, just time.

I'm currently eating 1850 Cals 45P/30F/25C, I've cut all liquid calories out. I only drink water, sometimes black coffee and usually 1 protein shake each day unless I eat a lot of chicken.

Last Month:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Now:
[BoC] 6' M 190lbs. Will I be too skinny if I cut 165-170? - Imgur
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Lifts (I weight lift every other day)

Bench - 170 4x5
Squat - 225 4x5
Deadlift 275 3x5
Bent Over Row - 165 4x5
Standing OHP (Strict) 110 4x5

A - Squats, Bent over Rows, ISOs including back stuff/bis
B - Deadlifts, Bench Press, ISOs including chest stuff and Tris
C- Squats, Calves, SOHP, Shoulder ISOs and Tris

On lifting days I run 2 miles, on the days in-between I usually run 4-5 miles and do ab/core workouts.

Any advice would be helpful!!
Hi James, thanks for for the post and sharing your current state of mind with your body.
Post up exactly what your eating in detail, meal by meal.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:53 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,825,373 times
I'd say keep posting on Reddit, as the quality of advice there tends to be better than here. We tend to be a little more active though.

Anyway, here's my take. My plan is fairly similar to yours, and when I stick to it without relaxing my diet too much on the weekends I'll generally lose one pound per week. It sounds like you are in a similar boat so congrats on your progress so far.

Thing is, when cutting like this you're not going to lose weight quickly. The reason is that diets that have you losing weight at 2-3 lb/week make you lose fat AND muscle. A high protein cut is laser-focused on keeping as much muscle as possible when losing fat, or possibly even gaining a small amount of muscle. This slows your progress on the scale and possibly even in the mirror, but the end result will be substantially better than if you just tried to lose as much weight as possible as quickly as possible.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:56 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,718,892 times
Doesn't sound like you have much anaerobic conditioning.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:28 PM

434 posts, read 246,516 times
I'd suggest you get on a strenght program to give you a more formal progression. Starting strength is good your prettymuch doing it already.

For cardio your better off following a program, joel jameisons book ultimate mma conditioning (ignore the cheesey name) is a safe bet.

Be aware that your noob gains will prob be cut short due to the diet.

For protein 1g per lb of lean bodymass ish a day is good. Make sure your diets clean and load up on veggies etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness