Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 10:59 AM

5,915 posts, read 6,405,895 times

Advertisements

So, I had gotten sick last week and I'm on the mend. During my sickness, I didn't have the best of appetites. I did try to eat healthy though, but I didn't go to the gym since I was sick. Anyway, during my sickness, I lost 10 pounds. That is coupled with the 7 I had lost prior to getting sick. I know that, often, people who lose weight due to a sickness usually wind up gaining that weight back, but I would like to keep that weight off if possible. I am trying to eat as healthy as I can. I drink only water, except for one cup of coffee in the morning. I stay away from fried foods, high carb meals, breads, etc... I'm doing pretty well with the diet. Now, during my sickness, I probably skipped a meal or two because I was either asleep in the bed, or I just didn't have an appetite. But for the most part, I tried to have something in my system around breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I'm going back to the gym this evening, and my hope is that I can maintain the 17 pounds lost and continue on. I have several more pounds to go, but being down 17 pounds in a two week period was a nice little gift for me being sick through my birthday!

I guess my question is, for those who have gotten sick and lost weight, did you gain it all back once you're well, or were you able to keep it off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 11:15 AM

41,737 posts, read 74,713,397 times
Hope you're feeling better. To answer your question: Yes and no.

I had a viral infection years ago that left me with a horribly sore throat for almost a month, and lost 15 pounds in two weeks. Not fun! The weight came back on, but slowly over about six months, once I resumed my normal eating habits.

Another viral infection about a decade ago was the kind that left me too tired to do much of anything, including eat -- lifting a fork took a lot of effort. I lost about 20 pounds in three months, eating whatever I could manage to get in me. At the time I was about halfway through losing 140 pounds on a low-carb food plan and my doctor told me to let it go for the short term and eat whatever I had the energy to prepare and eat (lots of takeout, so not the healthiest stuff). When I got well -- which took about three months -- I resumed my workout routines, and began eating on my preferred food plan again, the weight continued to come off.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:23 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,878,908 times
The majority of that weight was not fat. It's going to be pretty much impossible to keep that weight off since it was a combination of water, glucose and glycogen, and lean body mass

Old 03-22-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
The majority of that weight was not fat. It's going to be pretty much impossible to keep that weight off since it was a combination of water, glucose and glycogen, and lean body mass
So a person would burn glucose and glycogen even if they are still eating?

Old 03-22-2016, 01:24 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,536,371 times
I don't know, but I hope you are able to keep at least half off. Let us know.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:48 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,241,317 times
Chances are good that you will gain some weight back, especially if your diet wasn't the best prior to getting sick.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Chances are good that you will gain some weight back, especially if your diet wasn't the best prior to getting sick.
The diet was actually pretty good prior to the sickness. No fried foods, no processed foods. Limited bread. Mostly fruits, veggies, nuts, grilled chicken or broiled fish. No soda, no sugary drinks of any kind. No fried potatoes. I had lost 7 pounds prior to the sickness. Seeing that I'm already used to a healthier diet, my hope is that any weight I gain back is minimal.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:23 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,241,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
The diet was actually pretty good prior to the sickness. No fried foods, no processed foods. Limited bread. Mostly fruits, veggies, nuts, grilled chicken or broiled fish. No soda, no sugary drinks of any kind. No fried potatoes. I had lost 7 pounds prior to the sickness. Seeing that I'm already used to a healthier diet, my hope is that any weight I gain back is minimal.
If you're maintaining a healthy diet then I wouldn't worry about it.

Keep up the good work, Skins

Old 03-23-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
If you're maintaining a healthy diet then I wouldn't worry about it.

Keep up the good work, Skins
Thanks Hawaii! It's a tough road, but I'm loving the journey!

Old 03-24-2016, 01:14 PM

35 posts, read 27,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
What are your stats? Height, Weight, estimated BF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness