Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 08:41 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Agreed kinkytoes, but contrary to the OP, I'm not young enough to know everything.
Bodyforlife99, are you familiar with Bill Phillips' starter program of the same name? That's what I followed when I first started many years ago and it gave me some great newbie gains.

Come to think of it, it would be a great beginner program to suggest to the subject of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 08:55 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Yeah, some people are that way. But many who I know are either from military, martial arts training, or old Soviet Union trained athletes/coaches.

Was your C.O. in the military that way? Or when he gave orders did he say "Would you kindly....."?

There is a distinct difference between being an a-hole and just being frank and honest with a person. Its why I always liked Jillian on Biggest Loser.
But the truth is also that your brand of boot camp/tough love/no excuses "honesty" doesn't work for everyone. Someone who weighs 300 pounds doesn't have a normal, healthy relationship with food and fitness and they may need gentle encouragement and a pat on the back more than they need to be belittled or bullied. Surely when one is a personal trainer one would know which tools to use for each client.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:31 AM

1,099 posts, read 900,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Bodyforlife99, are you familiar with Bill Phillips' starter program of the same name? That's what I followed when I first started many years ago and it gave me some great newbie gains.

Come to think of it, it would be a great beginner program to suggest to the subject of this thread.
Yep. Did the contest in 2000. Didn't win the big money but placed in the top 2000 out of 700,000 entrants. Admittedly, I didn't have any story at all (just a guy trying to get in shape) and that's 50% of the grading. I just found it hard to believe at the time that someone could get into that type of shape in just 12 weeks with such a basic program. And needless to say, I was quite surprised what you could do with such an emphasis on diet and exercise. I've been a personal trainer ever since, have worked in two of the top gyms in San Francisco, and have been in love with my job for 16 years.

I was disappointed by the original post as I would never in my wildest dreams think of talking to someone that way. It's demeaning and demotivating. And I have had clients that have lost 50 to 100 lbs. In fact, I've been involved in 5 client body composition challenges and have won every one. I love my clients and although I feel there has to be the desire on their part also, my goal is to motivate them (I happen to think it's a better way to train people). And yes, I have seen some drill sergeant type trainers. Some are successful....many are not (I've also seen some reduce their clients to tears....not cool). But everyone's different. If the OP is successful, good for him. There are plenty of us that don't train the way he does that are successful also.

I don't typically comment on fitness forums as I find it's too antagonistic. There are a lot of know-it-alls that simply spout information from the latest body building magazine that they've read. They have a cookie cutter approach to everything and think everyone needs to be trained like a meat head. My fitness hero's have always been the ones that come from more of a physical therapy background (they're the ones that fix the guys that followed everyone of these fitness magazines to their detriment). Most of my clients now are much older. I'm not typically dealing with the twenty somethings but rather more along the type that have some sort of rehabilitative issues (i.e. knee replacements, herniated discs, etc.).

Based on the responses on this thread and others, I'm at least heartened to see that most people seem to be understanding of others situations and try to be helpful, empathize, and generally give some sound advice. It's nice to see I'm not alone on that one. Best of luck to everyone. Gotta get back to attending to my sick dog. Have a good one.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:44 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Yep. Did the contest in 2000. Didn't win the big money but placed in the top 2000 out of 700,000 entrants. Admittedly, I didn't have any story at all (just a guy trying to get in shape) and that's 50% of the grading. I just found it hard to believe at the time that someone could get into that type of shape in just 12 weeks with such a basic program. And needless to say, I was quite surprised what you could do with such an emphasis on diet and exercise. I've been a personal trainer ever since, have worked in two of the top gyms in San Francisco, and have been in love with my job for 16 years.
That's a pretty neat story. I went hard on that program for around 3 months, then did a more casual version through my senior year of college and it was when I was in the best shape of my life. I've since moved on but I still go back to those workout routines for a week or two at a time to bust a plateau and change things up.

Good on you for trying to be one of the more helpful posters in this thread.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:06 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Morbidly obese people have far bigger issues then going to the gym and performing the ultimate routine. She will never be fit until she wrestles with that food addiction demon. It's a sad surrender when the fork to mouth exercise wins over the need to be healthy.

I hope she's visited with a psychiatrist first and unlocks the key as to why she over eats. No amount of exercise can fix that.

Until she does the best you can do for her K G is to encourage her to get the emotional help she needs.

I have a friend that's only 55 and just suffered a stroke. She still can't resist food and is not losing weight. Horribly sad.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:06 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I'd like to add that tricep pulldowns are not "useless". Pffft.

I do them regularly and I have the defined triceps to prove that it is not "useless". Also, how about you be in her shoes as a beginner. Not everyone can physically do the holy mantra of deadlifts, squats, etc. Instead of being a negative nancy and making her feel bad, maybe encourage her to add other moves to her regimen. Just getting to the gym and working out is a step in the right direction. No wonder many people are turned off by fitness.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:05 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony08curry View Post
Considering she got herself to the gym, she is not doing that badly. I am sure at her weight exercise is painful. She is not going to challenge herself until she starts to feel better. At this point diet is what she needs to focus more than anything. As she progresses, you could encourage her to try one of the most effective exercises to include in her routine. For now, walking or cycling is the best aerobic exercise she can do, along with whatever strength training she can do properly. She needs diet guidance at this point and a lot of encouragement. Nothing like negativity to turn a person off.... Please don't tell her she is doing anything wrong at this point. It will only encourage her to fail.
It's an old thread, several months. I wonder what ever happened of OP's friend. If she stuck with it or not.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:36 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
She ain't losin weight....she is still overeating.

Her diet is the main issue.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:46 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
It's an old thread, several months. I wonder what ever happened of OP's friend. If she stuck with it or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
She ain't losin weight....she is still overeating.

Her diet is the main issue.
Tickyul nailed with what is still going on with her. Still goes to the gym occasionally (Planet Fitness) but just refuses to change her eating habits.

She's one of those who seem to derive most of the pleasure in her life from food. BAD food!!! Because of the food she's even bigger now than when I started this thread. Her Facebook feed is just filled with her pics, postings and likes of all kinds of sugary desserts, cakes, candy, deep fried twinkies, recipes of unhealthy foods, etc.

Her biggest problems remain:

1. Unwillingness to adapt to or even TRY for even at least a week, a nutritional eating plan.

2. Enablers all around her. Constantly telling her "You look great!" "If that food makes you happy then you eat it!". This makes me so angry because I keep thinking of her kids. One day she's going to die and her kids will be motherless.

3. Excuse maker. Its always "I cant do that because...." or "I dont want to try that because...". Whenever presented with alternative healthy methods for losing weight, even by people who were once in her shoes who KNOW from experience what she's dealing with, she comes up with excuses.

I really hope for her kid's sake that she changes things soon. She's in her mid to late 30s and is constantly on some type of Rx drugs (in addition to her mental health/depression drugs) and visiting the hospital for variety of different reasons. I just know those kids are going to have to grow up motherless if she doesnt change and THAT is the absolute biggest tragedy that one could imagine.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:47 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post

That Body For Life plan is very very good. It would absolutely be a great program for her (or anyone) to start with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness