Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 04:15 PM

286 posts, read 295,133 times

Advertisements

when you don't have time to cook yourself a meal or are out and about what are your go to for a healthy meal?
i could use some ideas as it gets annoying eating at two places when I'm too lazy to cook. i try and eat healthy 3 meals a day 6 days a week with one day i have a cheat meal.

i usually get a chipotle bowl chicken, brown rice, black beans, double veggies, green salsa and guac. seems to be the healthiest combo you can get.

panera bread? any suggestions everything seems to be loaded with carbs and sodium

subway? same as panera but i sometimes like the new rotisserie style chicken on wheat with lots of veggies and i avoid all the fatty sauces

what are your go to healthy meals on the run and any suggestions i can try out?

i am not a body builder but i do work out 6 days a week doing p90x3 so i try and keep a balance of carbs proteins and fats although i don't track a specific intake number in grams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 04:24 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
I stop in a grocery store and hit their salad bar with soinach, nuts, cheese, tomatoes, chicken, and some olive oil

Old 04-05-2016, 04:27 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Make your own food and take it with you. I like to make a pb&j or bring a small bag of nuts. There are really limited options for healthy food in chain restaurants. If there is a whole Foods you can make your own salad or get food from their deli counter. They usually have lots of healthy options. You can go into any market and buy an apple, banana, basket of strawberries, plain greek yogurt, sliced turkey from the deli counter.
Chipotle bowls are a lot of food, so check the calories (they have them posted).

Old 04-05-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Make your own food and take it with you. I like to make a pb&j or bring a small bag of nuts. There are really limited options for healthy food in chain restaurants. If there is a whole Foods you can make your own salad or get food from their deli counter. They usually have lots of healthy options. You can go into any market and buy an apple, banana, basket of strawberries, plain greek yogurt, sliced turkey from the deli counter.
Chipotle bowls are a lot of food, so check the calories (they have them posted).
we just received our first whole foods here little over a year or two ago, i have yet to go in though i heard its very overpriced .

i make all my meals but sometimes i just am lazy after a long day at work and don't feel like cooking so chipotle is the one option i enjoy thats healthy. the one i get is usually around 6-900 calories which is perfect for a lunch or dinner for me

out at actual restaurants is relatively easy go ala carte with either a steak or grilled chicken breast with veggies or salad

Old 04-05-2016, 04:44 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriss92 View Post
what is your go to healthy meal on the run when you don't have time to cook yourself a meal or are out and about what are your go to for a healthy meal?
That depends on what my nutritional needs are at the time. If I am cutting, bulking or maintaining.

If Bulking or maintaining:

Option 1 - Chipotle burrito bowl. Brown rice, double chicken guacamole.

Option 2 - In-N-Out Burger. Double Double protein style which is instead of buns, burger is wrapped in lettuce.

If I am cutting (which is trying to lose weight and/or body fat):

Option 1 - Wait until I get home to make my meal which is already planned.

Option 2 - Do option 1.

Option 3 - I always have food at home. I'll throw a bunch of raw baby spinach into plates for me and the family and toss in black berries and raspberries and walnuts and we have easy healthy dinner that EVERYONE here loves.

Seriously, I cant imagine any time where I am out and about, or as you say "On the run" where I have no time to prepare dinner. This scenario usually means a person is being just flat out lazy, and lazy usually leads to fatness which I refuse to be. Even with full time work, home chores, kids, and shuttling kids back and forth to school/lessons/activities and doing homework I still have time to prepare meals. Its called going to the market and having things at home readily available.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
I can usually find a big salad and grilled chicken somewhere. Otherwise, once in a while I'll grab a pint of chicken chow mein (eat half and bring the rest home). Not that often though, because it is kind of high in sodium. Really though, it's very rare that I don't pack food from home.

**Disclaimer: I recently learned that take-out chicken chow mein in NY is completely different from the chicken chow mein in most other places, because here it usually isn't fried or served with noddles. It is just steamed chicken, bok choy, celery, onions, sprouts, with a light broth-based sauce. Very tasty and filling, but low in calories.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:18 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
I just cant imagine buying food from a restaurant. I rather wait a few hours or so, until I get home.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:23 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriss92 View Post
we just received our first whole foods here little over a year or two ago, i have yet to go in though i heard its very overpriced .

i make all my meals but sometimes i just am lazy after a long day at work and don't feel like cooking so chipotle is the one option i enjoy thats healthy. the one i get is usually around 6-900 calories which is perfect for a lunch or dinner for me

out at actual restaurants is relatively easy go ala carte with either a steak or grilled chicken breast with veggies or salad
Whole Foods can be pricey but they offer quality ingredients. Their prepared foods are great.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:32 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
Spicy Chicken Teriyaki. PAC NW style teriyaki isn't something I've seen anywhere else, but it's fantastic. It's a big portion of grilled chicken thighs in a sweet/spicy thin teriyaki sauce, not really candy-sweet like teriyaki I've had in other parts of the country. It comes with rice and a salad. I skip the rice or only eat a small portion of it. Sometimes order it with stir-fry veggies.

It's far from perfect, but I can do a whole lot worse. It's also one of my favorite meals of all time, so it was important to me to find a way to occasionally fit it in even when I'm trying to be strict about what I eat.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
That depends on what my nutritional needs are at the time. If I am cutting, bulking or maintaining.

If Bulking or maintaining:

Option 1 - Chipotle burrito bowl. Brown rice, double chicken guacamole.

Option 2 - In-N-Out Burger. Double Double protein style which is instead of buns, burger is wrapped in lettuce.

If I am cutting (which is trying to lose weight and/or body fat):

Option 1 - Wait until I get home to make my meal which is already planned.

Option 2 - Do option 1.

Option 3 - I always have food at home. I'll throw a bunch of raw baby spinach into plates for me and the family and toss in black berries and raspberries and walnuts and we have easy healthy dinner that EVERYONE here loves.

Seriously, I cant imagine any time where I am out and about, or as you say "On the run" where I have no time to prepare dinner. This scenario usually means a person is being just flat out lazy, and lazy usually leads to fatness which I refuse to be. Even with full time work, home chores, kids, and shuttling kids back and forth to school/lessons/activities and doing homework I still have time to prepare meals. Its called going to the market and having things at home readily available.
i agree 100% i refuse to be fat, i usually always have my meals for the week ready to go, but if I'm down to my last meal or so before i head back to the store and a buddy wants to shoot hoops or have unexpected mandatory overtime its good to have healthy options elsewhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness