Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 12:28 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Still did not answer the time aspect. How long do you linger in your observations to make this assessment. Someone might be looking at you and saying "Damn, I wish they would get done already instead of staring at X"
A glance, a split second. If I'm on to my third machine and they are still there that takes another split second.

So my answer is one second total. If I were to linger with my glances, they would take that as you want to talk, and start a darn conversation.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 01:51 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
How can you notice other people and what they do in 10-15min if you are so busy keeping your heart rate up?
you don't need to close your eyes to keep the heart rate up

Old 04-29-2016, 01:59 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,765 times
You need that gym where all the guy does is "pick things up and put them down". All business - no chit-chat.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
You need that gym where all the guy does is "pick things up and put them down". All business - no chit-chat.
There should be a hang out area in every gym and the staff should guide people over there who are just hanging out on equipment, socializing and taking up space. They could sell protein shakes and make some money off it and people wo want to work out can do it without being annoyed. Awww, I feel so smart.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:11 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
you don't need to close your eyes to keep the heart rate up
...And you focus on your breath, and squeezing your core, and your movements, and rep count or whatever metric, etc No time to creep at someone else.

What the fellow said is a bunch of bunk. Unless of course doing HR stuff for OP is what I would not term High HR.

I cannot even focus on miss 20s-something with the tight spandex when hitting high HR. I have to focus on what I am doing.

Complaining about someone doing this or that at the gym is usually always about posturing on the part of the complainant. Every exercise related forum has a D-bag at the gym thread and they are the same or worse than here. Come on some folks thinking leaving 135lbs on the bench barbell is an offense.

Last edited by Felix C; 04-29-2016 at 02:47 PM..

Old 04-29-2016, 02:17 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,765 times
Treat the gym like the NY subway: no eye contact, don't talk to anybody, get out as soon as you're where you need to be, and expect it to smell.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:00 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Treat the gym like the NY subway: no eye contact, don't talk to anybody, get out as soon as you're where you need to be, and expect it to smell.
Awesomeness.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-29-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
...And you focus on your breath, and squeezing your core, and your movements, and rep count or whatever metric, etc No time to creep at someone else.

What the fellow said is a bunch of bunk. Unless of course doing HR stuff for OP is what I would not term High HR.

I cannot even focus on miss 20s-something with the tight spandex when hitting high HR. I have to focus on what I am doing.

Complaining about someone doing this or that at the gym is usually always about posturing on the part of the complainant. Every exercise related forum has a D-bag at the gym thread and they are the same or worse than here. Come on some folks thinking leaving 135lbs on the bench barbell is an offense.
well, if I am working out and there are two people standing next to me so I have to be careful not to hit them with my movements and I have a hard time concentrating because at least one of them talks so loud that half of the gym HAS to listen because that person is so important, then I have the right to be annnoyed.

Also, if I repeatedly want to use a machine or bench or whatever but no matter how much other stuff I do in between, those people are STILL standing there and leaning on it, my heart rate will go throught he roof without even trying! That means, I will not be out in an hour and they rest of my day is delayed because some people use the gym as a hangout place.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:41 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
well, if I am working out and there are two people standing next to me so I have to be careful not to hit them with my movements and I have a hard time concentrating because at least one of them talks so loud that half of the gym HAS to listen because that person is so important, then I have the right to be annnoyed.

Also, if I repeatedly want to use a machine or bench or whatever but no matter how much other stuff I do in between, those people are STILL standing there and leaning on it, my heart rate will go throught he roof without even trying! That means, I will not be out in an hour and they rest of my day is delayed because some people use the gym as a hangout place.
Op was referring to conversation not equipment squatters.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:09 PM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
The last time I went to a public gym it was strictly for lifting weights for strength training. Researching the subject I found some articles from several universities recommending resting 2 min between sets. So I did.

Two min seems like a long time to sit there. So I didn't go out of my way to make conservation but didn't avoid it either. If someone wanted to work in between my sets no big deal. But that gym wasn't that crowded.

Normally I prefer to work out at home for several reasons. But I think it is good to go to a public gym, watch others, check out the equipment, learn new techniques.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness