Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 11:14 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,363,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I work out a private training facility so you get 99% serious work out people. Yesterday was the first day I saw a girl in makeup, with a pink base ball hat turned backwards and jewelry in the gym. She was with a guy so she must be a GF...... but I almost stopped and stared.
I would've pointed and giggled, you have more self-control than me. Gyms are a good opportunity for some people-watching. I feel like an anthropologist in those places, for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 11:20 AM

44 posts, read 44,046 times
I would really like to know why many people are in the gym, to work out and improve both their health and physique or to just take up space fiddling with their iPhones or flapping their jaws in the breeze?

Old 04-30-2016, 02:27 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I would've pointed and giggled, you have more self-control than me. Gyms are a good opportunity for some people-watching. I feel like an anthropologist in those places, for some reason.
She was nice, and young. She'll learn over time.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-30-2016, 02:34 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,778,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauailover View Post
I hate to seem anti social but I prefer to keep talk to a minimum at my gym, usually just "hello".

I often see people standing around for 10 to 15 minutes between sets. I like to keep my heart rate up so I prefer to just focus on my workout.

It seems like anyone else who is serious about their training is the same. I appreciate them and see some of them often, but don't talk to them. Just a nod will do!

Does too much talking annoy you?

Cell phones don't belong in the gym either!
How about the locker room?

I'm there to shower, dress and get out, but no, there's people who want to chat and get offended if you want to leave instead of hanging around 20 guys in various forms of undress...Oh...I see...Hmmm....

Old 04-30-2016, 03:06 PM

1,099 posts, read 900,758 times
Pretty funny thread here. I guess I've just learned to mellow out in my old age. None of this stuff bothers me. Of course, rush hour traffic doesn't bother me any more either. I truly believe you can only be distracted if you choose to be. When I'm working, I have no choice but to talk as I'm coaching people. But when I'm doing my own workout, I don't have a problem at all with someone coming over and talking with me. I can't think of a person at any gym I've worked at that has gone on for an extended period of time chatting with me. We're all generally very respectful of each other and seldom take up that much of each others time. I like people to be social and would go on to say that I think it's sad what our society has become. People walking around like drones, completely disconnected from reality. They're either texting on their phones with their eyes down (and often time bumping into people because they're not watching where they're going), or have their noise canceling headphones on. More times than not, their friends are virtual friends in their little internet reality world. I think the country has really dropped down about 3 notches over the last 20 years in regards to socialization skills. It's pretty sad when it gets to a point where people give you a funny look just because you're being friendly and saying "hi". I have my own home gym, but don't typically use it much as I work out between clients at my gym (my son pretty much uses it now). Admittedly, both gyms I've worked at for the last 16 years are top tier, so it's not like people are waiting in line to use anything. I guess if it was a overcrowded 24 hour fitness type setup, it could be a problem. But it's not, so I don't sweat it. Not to mention that it's very easy for me to do an isolated workout if that's really what I want. In addition to a home gym, I've got plenty of fitness gear that I can easily go over to the football field by my house and just throw a suspension trainer over the goal post and have some fun (heck, sometimes I set up a whole bootcamp for myself). I've even encouraged some lookie loos to come over and join me. I think social interaction is great and I really have fun with people (and they're usually very thankful). I wouldn't have it any other way. Life's too short.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:19 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Get real and visualize the situation. Maintain other people under observation for 10-15min at still keeping your heart rate at a high level when using weights? Not realistic. Unless OP's idea of high heartrate is not what I call high heart rate level. And yours as well.

Maybe you and him are creeping at other people from your exercise equipment but well that is another issue.
They're easy to notice when they are constantly hogging whatever you need to do next. Then you have to keep altering your routine around THEM. Yeah, actually they are impossible to ignore.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:51 PM

480 posts, read 622,870 times
Glad to hear most of you are in agreement and keep chit chat to a minimum.

Felix, go back and reread my OP. I said I like to keep my heart rate up, didn't use the word High...go for a jog bro!

Old 05-02-2016, 02:33 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Pretty funny thread here. I guess I've just learned to mellow out in my old age. None of this stuff bothers me. Of course, rush hour traffic doesn't bother me any more either. I truly believe you can only be distracted if you choose to be. When I'm working, I have no choice but to talk as I'm coaching people. But when I'm doing my own workout, I don't have a problem at all with someone coming over and talking with me. I can't think of a person at any gym I've worked at that has gone on for an extended period of time chatting with me. We're all generally very respectful of each other and seldom take up that much of each others time. I like people to be social and would go on to say that I think it's sad what our society has become. People walking around like drones, completely disconnected from reality. They're either texting on their phones with their eyes down (and often time bumping into people because they're not watching where they're going), or have their noise canceling headphones on. More times than not, their friends are virtual friends in their little internet reality world. I think the country has really dropped down about 3 notches over the last 20 years in regards to socialization skills. It's pretty sad when it gets to a point where people give you a funny look just because you're being friendly and saying "hi". I have my own home gym, but don't typically use it much as I work out between clients at my gym (my son pretty much uses it now). Admittedly, both gyms I've worked at for the last 16 years are top tier, so it's not like people are waiting in line to use anything. I guess if it was a overcrowded 24 hour fitness type setup, it could be a problem. But it's not, so I don't sweat it. Not to mention that it's very easy for me to do an isolated workout if that's really what I want. In addition to a home gym, I've got plenty of fitness gear that I can easily go over to the football field by my house and just throw a suspension trainer over the goal post and have some fun (heck, sometimes I set up a whole bootcamp for myself). I've even encouraged some lookie loos to come over and join me. I think social interaction is great and I really have fun with people (and they're usually very thankful). I wouldn't have it any other way. Life's too short.
Good thoughts. This is one of the few posts in this thread that made sense. I do the same, have some hard exercise and then socialize a little bit. My approach to gym exercises is to get rested enough between sets, that I can do my best with each one. That's how you improve, by lifting more. I also run and bicycle hard and often paddle a kayak. Those things give me plenty of cardio-pulmonary exercise outside the gym, which is an approach to fitness I recommend. And I do have a full setup for workouts at home, for when I just can't make it to a gym. I've developed several exercise machines myself, that are custom-designed for my own needs. There are numerous places around town that have outdoor bars for pullups, dips and leg-raises and I often grab a quick set on them, as I travel about during the day.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,027 times
I have seen so many people like that! Usually they called "seasonal" As for me, especially after work, gym is a place to forget about everyting.. no chat, no interaction, just music in my earphones.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:51 PM

589 posts, read 695,740 times
Every gym has lonely people who specifically come just to talk. They know they're being rude. They know other people want to work out, but they don't care. They use the gym as their social place because they like having a captive audience. Anywhere else, these types could easily be avoided, but not when you're on rep 5 and trying to crank out that last rep. What a perfect time to talk to you about the weather!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness