Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 06:29 PM

102,187 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauailover View Post
I hate to seem anti social but I prefer to keep talk to a minimum at my gym, usually just "hello".

I often see people standing around for 10 to 15 minutes between sets. I like to keep my heart rate up so I prefer to just focus on my workout.

It seems like anyone else who is serious about their training is the same. I appreciate them and see some of them often, but don't talk to them. Just a nod will do!

Does too much talking annoy you?

Cell phones don't belong in the gym either!
No, it doesn't. I like the friendly, sociable gyms, the ones where people do chat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 07:26 PM

6,781 posts, read 9,332,326 times
I don't mind talking at the gym, though I usually participate in conversations before and after I'm finished working out.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:06 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauailover View Post
I hate to seem anti social but I prefer to keep talk to a minimum at my gym, usually just "hello".

I often see people standing around for 10 to 15 minutes between sets. I like to keep my heart rate up so I prefer to just focus on my workout.

It seems like anyone else who is serious about their training is the same. I appreciate them and see some of them often, but don't talk to them. Just a nod will do!

Does too much talking annoy you?

Cell phones don't belong in the gym either!
I suppose a constant talker every day would annoy me eventually. What annoys me more though especially in small gyms. Is seeing the same people month after month that can't even manage a simple Hi. I find that many gyms are beyond unfriendly. If I had the room and money I'd have a home gym. I do not like the environment of today's gyms.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:18 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
There are two things I've seen at the gym that pisses me off to no end. The first is the guy who will go and get everything setup on the weight bench to start bench pressing, and then sit there for at least 10 minutes shuffling through his phone trying to find the song he wants to workout with. No lie, by the time this dude finally got around to lifting, I had already completed three or four sets of whatever it was I was doing at the time, and on to the next exercise. Luckily, it wasn't chest night for me!

The other thing that is a huge pet peeve of mine is another guy who comes in with his cell phone in a cell phone holder strapped to his belt. Most of the time, he comes in wearing jeans, which I always felt was not good for the weight machines and the benches, because jeans, coupled with belts and cell phone holders, can rip the material on the benches. Anyway, this guy averages at least one or two phone calls every time he's in the gym, and instead of walking outside or standing off to the side to have his phone conversation, he'll hog the bench and sit there talking on his phone. I even got a chuckle out of this guy the other day. I was working out on Sunday afternoon, and this guy comes in, actually wearing workout shorts, but still has his cellphone holder clipped to his workout shorts, LOL!!!! I'm sorry, but if you need to be glued to your phone that much, maybe just put together a home gym and not use a public gym. It's rude for everyone else, especially in a small gym where you don't have multiple weight benches.
Thank you the phones are my biggest pet peeve. I go to the Anytime Fitness gyms, and they are very small. These fools come in and hog up the few machines and benches. Then they sit for extended periods staring at the phone.Which in turn holds up my workout. Some of the people are employees. I asked the manager about some courtesy about this issue, nothing was done. I notice now I am given the cold shoulder by the manager and trainer. Simply for bringing up the subject of consideration. I'm going to have to find another gym it seems. I don't feel welcome in this gym.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:24 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,052 times
Talk all you want. It's the reason God invented headphones.

Just get off your cell phone when you're taking up a bench. The equipment is not the place to update your heavily filtered pictures on Instagram.

Also, rerack your damn weights and pick up your towel when you're done.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:29 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I go to the gym to work-out, not to socialize or to hook up with anybody. I will never understand these women who go to the gym in full make-up and jewelry who spend most of their time on their damn cell phones. I really think some of them are only there to find a guy because other than exercising their jaw, they don't do much. I wish gyms would become a "no cell phone area".

I avoid eye contact as much as possible and other than a quick hello or nod I try not to engage in conversation. Especially when I used to go before work, I had a certain amount of time before I had to shower and get ready and I didn't have time for chit-chat.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:03 AM

767 posts, read 1,321,419 times
I mean if they want to waste their time and money let them. I personally don't enjoy the people I fallow (or used to follow) on social media who literally only talk about going to the gym.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:13 AM

9,375 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
You should be working out. 10-15seconds I understand but not 10-15min. That is creeper stuff.
I don't know what this "creeper" term is, but if it means "creepy" I think the anti-social dude who works out by himself and never makes eye contact or speaks to another person in the gym is far more creepy than someone who might interact with fellow gym-goers here and there but still getss in a good workout. Most of us aren't trying to maintain a 195 beats per minute heart rate, just get some exercise.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:58 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I go to the gym to work-out, not to socialize or to hook up with anybody. I will never understand these women who go to the gym in full make-up and jewelry who spend most of their time on their damn cell phones. I really think some of them are only there to find a guy because other than exercising their jaw, they don't do much. I wish gyms would become a "no cell phone area".

I avoid eye contact as much as possible and other than a quick hello or nod I try not to engage in conversation. Especially when I used to go before work, I had a certain amount of time before I had to shower and get ready and I didn't have time for chit-chat.
I work out a private training facility so you get 99% serious work out people. Yesterday was the first day I saw a girl in makeup, with a pink base ball hat turned backwards and jewelry in the gym. She was with a guy so she must be a GF...... but I almost stopped and stared.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-30-2016, 11:12 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
Some extraverted people just really love to socialize when they're unwinding. So it's not too surprising that there are chatterboxes running around the gym. Maybe there'd be fewer of them if you were working out first thing in the morning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness