Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:18 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is so typical of C-D; someone posts an incomplete OP, leaving out crucial info, then 10 or 15 pages later, they complete their thought, changing the picture significantly.

So this isn't a rant about people who say they can't run; it's a rant about people who are overweight and don't exercise more generally, making excuses for themselves. That's a very different topic from what you originally posted.
I know, right? OP completely moved the goalposts on this. We were all answering the question he asked from the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 09:32 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I know, right? OP completely moved the goalposts on this. We were all answering the question he asked from the beginning.
Very few have answered the question he asked at the beginning.

"..I have friends who detest running, but it may as well be exercise in general.... Could some people share their experiences with motivating friends or family members perhaps and how you have seen people overcome this?"

Old 05-12-2016, 10:00 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post

"..I have friends who detest running, but it may as well be exercise in general.... Could some people share their experiences with motivating friends or family members perhaps and how you have seen people overcome this?"
Way to cherry-pick a passage to quote. 3/4 or more of the original post was about running. The clarification the OP very recently posted would have made a huge difference in the responses he got.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:39 AM

1,347 posts, read 944,510 times
It also depends on how these conversations got started and who initiated the topic.

A. Family member starts complaining they can't lose weight, blah blah... OP suggests running... they say "can't" => you can either choose to argue (unlikely to get you anywhere) or just shrug it off.

B. OP says to family mmbr/friend: "Hey, you could use some exercise, why don't you run?" "I can't" is probably the nicest response in this case.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:50 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
I have very wide hips, and my thighs taper down and aren't straight (probably the consequence of having wide hips), and I have what feels like a delicate lower back. I'm also a tall woman.

If normal people eventually develop issues from running, then I'm definitely not chance it.

I just walk a lot instead.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:51 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
I'd be the one going by asking why are you so slow

Old 05-12-2016, 11:52 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
The OP is a fanatic, that thinks they have the one solution to exercising acceptable and think everyone should do it They are not considering that running breaks down joints, that can cause serious damage and problems later in life. They do not accept the fact, that doctors today are telling us to walk rather than run, to protect our body for our later years.

Or how about runners that die of a heart attack, to to the strain of running on the heart. Most notable the health-book author Jim Fixx, who died while running in 1984. He was the one that started the modern running craze.

And Brian Leigh Maxwell, founder of Powerbar, and Greg Marr, an editor at Silent Sports magazine, all were struck down by heart attacks, despite ostensibly being in perfect health. Just to mention a couple more running promoters. Don't forget when in US Olympic Trials, elite runner Ryan Shay collapsed and died at the 5-mile mark.

The OP does not realize, that running strains the heart, lungs, and other organs as well as damages muscles. My old Cardiologist told me, that I needed to exercise, but only fools run and over strain their hearts, some other organs and joints.

We have a home gym set up in the loft overlooking our living room and out over it to the Bear Tooth range of Rockies about 100 miles away. Two eclipsical machines, one for standing and one for sitting. A upscale treadmill. A stationary bicycle, and a stair stepper machine. We can exercise and look at a dramatic mountain view, through a 25 foot high soaring window wall. My current Cardiologist says this is a lot better way to exercise for a couple in their mid 80s, or any age out there running and straining their body.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:08 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post

That is NOT what the OP said.

He posted about running, not 'exercise in general'.

My response is actually the same.

You cannot motivate someone when it comes to weight loss.

That comes from within.

I have seen people kicked out of the military for weight gain.

If your livelihood won't motivate you, what else will?

Old 05-12-2016, 12:09 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
To everyone on here who has a medically related reason on why they can't run, I am not referring to you. I am referring to people who say they are incapable of running, typically because they hate it, or they say they don't have the endurance, or don't enjoy it.
I doubt you are perfect.

Learn to mind your own business!

Old 05-12-2016, 12:12 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphasic9 View Post
Moreover, I've gained a new sense of humility. I've learned the hard way that many folks are stoically carrying a heavy load, and often their burden is not visible to the casual observer. And in becoming less judgmental of others, life's become brighter for me too. So lighten up, judge less, and go run while you can.
This !

OP, the real reason you were compelled to post is to learn and this is what you need to work on.
For others, perhaps it's their exercise or weight.
For some, it may be being a nicer person.

For you....it's to stop being so judgmental of others. You don't know their story and you need to make yourself better before judging others.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness